British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Sweetheart, Veteran and other Lapel Badges.

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 01-05-19, 05:17 PM

Default Help deciphering back of Buffs sweetheart

Evening all,

Been given this nice little thing. But having trouble reading some(most) of the markings. I think there is a Sterling stamped on there but there is also other things going on..... if anyone wants to take a run at it, I'd be interested in any interpretations.
Merci beaucoup
Alli
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20190501_180036.jpg (119.4 KB, 45 views)
File Type: jpg 20190501_135849.jpg (77.4 KB, 57 views)
File Type: jpg 20190501_181538.jpg (58.6 KB, 56 views)
Old 02-05-19, 03:47 AM

Unhappy

Hi Alli

Hope all well with you. Yes, that's a "STERLING" stamp that has "double registered". There is a name and a date: (Julia(?) 8/8...). There is an illegible maker's mark too.

I don't THINK that that marks on the back of the applied centre are hallmarks BUT as the hallmarks would have been applied before the badge was enamelled, it is just possible that the person doing the enamel has over heated the badge and therefore melted the marks out.

This is depressingly easy with silver......

That frame is set with marcasites and would have had many other uses with lots of other options, such as a fashion button or to use with other regimental badges. The "revolver catch" is a later type of fitting and probably means that it is 1930s onwards.

All the best

Mr N.G.
Old 02-05-19, 06:56 AM

Hi Ray,

Thank you, I'll have another look at it later on when I get a chance, thanks for the info.

I have a few marcasite sweeties and costume jewellery that have been passed on, some in better condition than others. But my most recent favourite was a junk shop find RA for a few quid, which was in a horrible state, I had a tentative clean of the back after giving it the once over with a loupe, and sure enough, it is a very pretty silver piece. I'll post pics at some point.

Alli
Old 03-05-19, 02:52 AM

Hi Alli

I've been sleeping on (oooh, errr missus....!) your Buffs badge and I think that what we THINK is a hallmark on the back of the the wee enamel centre is actually from the striking of the badge.

I think that I read somewhere they would often use something like a piece of leather or wet(!) cardboard as this meant that the metal didn't need to be quite as think and the raised detail came up sharper. This possible "hallmark" is from the backing material.

Cheers

Mr N.G.
Old 03-05-19, 06:33 AM

Hi Ray,
Yes it is, before I cleaned that part of the badge it looked like a makers mark, but in broad daylight you can see it is just the reverse of the enamel. It actually has a kind of crown shape, but that is just because I have been spending too much time observing Queen Vic stamp watermarks of late for another unrelated, tragically nerdy and quite tedious favour for a friend 🙄
Alli
Old 05-05-19, 11:22 PM

Hi Alli

The things we do for friends, eh? I've lost count of the "favours" that I've done for folk. Every now and again a "thanks" that makes me clean my specs, rub my eyes and make sure that I'm not seeing things....

Some "treasure" FINALLY on its way to you!