British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Infantry (& Guards) Badges

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 15-06-14, 08:18 PM

For all researching Cardiff Pals, or with a 16th Bn Welsh Reg Interest
: http://www.buywyze.com/shop.php
A native of Llandudno by the sounds of the description
Regards
Mike
I should mention the item no is 1022279
Old 15-06-14, 09:16 PM

Thanks for the heads up, but not Cardiff Pals (for so many times & reasons posted on this forum) and never heard of anywhere called Llandudlo.
Old 16-06-14, 10:34 PM

Hello Kevin
Yes I noticed 16th not 11th Bn and wondered if there was a mis-spelling of the place name (possibly Llandudno?). I hope someone appreciates the medals for what they are though - another young man making 'the supreme sacrifice'.
Mike

Last edited by Mike B; 16-06-14 at 10:51 PM.
Old 17-06-14, 07:44 AM

Mike,

There are plenty of 16th Welsh collectors out there (I know a few) and I don't doubt for one minute that if the price was reasonable that they would be snapped up. The fact they haven't been speaks volumes about the asking price.

Personally I collect medals to the 11th Pals battalion.

It is meant to be Llandudno. A large proportion of the Cardiff City battalion weren't actually from Cardiff.

What continues to irritate though is that the dealer in question continues to use the wrong name for the City battalion (16th).

Hwyl,

Kevin
Old 17-06-14, 06:46 PM

Agree re price. Way OTT! I paid £90 for a 15th battalion July 1916 Mametz Wood casualty not so long ago. A pair too.

TRT
Old 07-10-14, 05:19 PM

Default Fake Comparison

Something I've been meaning to do for a while and have promised a few of you I would do it. Sorry for the delay.

However, I have finally picked up a modern copy 16th Welsh collar badge for comparison with my originals. The delay was mainly because I was too mean to pay over the odds for a copy.

The 1st photo shows said copy snuggled in amongst four genuine examples. As has been remarked on previously the modern copy is actually better struck than the originals. It's the bottom centre example. The top right example has been coated in something but I'm not tempted to clean it as it's the other half of the pair to the one on its left and came from the family of the man to whom they belonged.

When you look at it in comparison to the genuine examples you will see that there are so many obvious differences between them that there really should be no need for mistakes as to what is real and what is not.

The easiest way to remember is that on the genuine one the goat's horns return down the back of the neck & you should not be able to see any detail on the face of the seahorse. Also the font on the title scroll is completely different and usually contains ghosting of the first three letters.

The 2nd photo shows a direct comparison between a genuine example and the copy, while the 3rd & 4th photos show the back and what is often referred to as the "jelly mould" appearance of the genuine badge i.e distinctly undefined.

The makers details are provided at the start of this thread.

Hope this proves useful to some.

Cofion gorau,

Kevin
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC02488.jpg (68.8 KB, 197 views)
File Type: jpg DSC02496.jpg (80.3 KB, 151 views)
File Type: jpg DSC02497.jpg (65.4 KB, 124 views)
File Type: jpg DSC02494.jpg (74.4 KB, 110 views)

Last edited by 41st; 06-02-18 at 01:17 PM.
Old 07-10-14, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 41st View Post
Something I've been meaning to do for a while and have promised a few of you I would do it. Sorry for the delay.

However, I have finally picked up a modern copy 16th Welsh collar badge for comparison with my originals. The delay was mainly because I was too mean to pay over the odds for a copy.

The 1st photo shows said copy snuggled in amongst four genuine examples. As has been remarked on previously the modern copy is actually better struck than the originals. It's the bottom centre example. The top right copy has been coated in something but I'm not tempted to clean it as it's the other half of the pair to the one on its left and came from the family of the man to whom they belonged.

When you look at it in comparison to the genuine examples you will see that there are so many obvious differences between them that there really should be no need for mistakes as to what is real and what is not.

The easiest way to remember is that on the genuine one the goat's horns return down the back of the neck & you should not be able to see any detail on the face of the seahorse. Also the font on the title scroll is completely different and usually contains ghosting of the first three letters.

The 2nd photo shows a direct comparison between a genuine example and the copy, while the 3rd & 4th photos show the back and what is often referred to as the "jelly mould" appearance of the genuine badge i.e distinctly undefined.

Cofion gorau,

Kevin
An excellent post Kevin, I have learnt a lot from that.

Many thanks,

Andy
Old 06-02-16, 12:29 PM

Good afternoon.

As previously mentioned in other threads the oddity of the cap badge worn was that it had ch spelling not sh spelling, here is an image front/back for those who maybe interested.

Ta

Jonathan

PA050030.jpgPA050031.jpg
Old 06-02-16, 12:44 PM

Jonathan,

Here's mine, don't know why I hadn't posted it before. This one has been brooched on the back but otherwise as yours.

Hwyl,

Kevin
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC04552.jpg (91.5 KB, 89 views)
File Type: jpg DSC04553.jpg (100.8 KB, 72 views)

Last edited by 41st; 06-02-16 at 01:03 PM.
Old 06-02-18, 09:01 AM

Hello Kevin,
So just to clarify, four originals, top right is original, you describe it below as top right "copy"
They are all very different, I did not expect to see variations like that, but, it is something that I have never really looked into.
A fascinating thread.
Regards Frank

Quote:
Originally Posted by 41st View Post

The 1st photo shows said copy snuggled in amongst four genuine examples. As has been remarked on previously the modern copy is actually better struck than the originals. It's the bottom centre example. The top right copy has been coated in something but I'm not tempted to clean it as it's the other half of the pair to the one on its left and came from the family of the man to whom they belonged.

Cofion gorau,

Kevin
Old 06-02-18, 01:16 PM

Hello Frank,

That's a typo I hadn't spotted earlier. It should read "top right example", now corrected & thank you for pointing it out. When you see them in the hand there's no great variation between the originals, it's just the different condition of each example, some being more worn than others and of course the coating on the one example.

Hwyl,

Kevin
Old 06-02-18, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Kelley View Post
Hello Kevin,
So just to clarify, four originals, top right is original, you describe it below as top right "copy"
They are all very different, I did not expect to see variations like that, but, it is something that I have never really looked into.
A fascinating thread.
Regards Frank
I will second that. I have learned a great deal from this thread, especially when looking into the subject 18 odd months ago - the knowledge it contains is priceless.

Thanks Kevin

Cheers, Tim
Old 17-08-19, 01:01 PM
Super Moderator

This letter was written commenting on an article written by EJ Martin in 1942. As you can see the author corrected the battalion identification from personal experience in WW1.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg KA CARDIFF.jpg (55.8 KB, 51 views)
Old 15-07-20, 03:47 PM

Default Authentic?

Hi Gentlemen.

I am wondering if you could please take a few moments to look at my pictures of a badge I just received re: 16th Service Btn. of the Welsh Regiment that looks to be ok, but after following the information that is posted, I am not so sure. Thank you in advance for your time.

Stacy

Cardiff Front.jpg

Cardiff Rear.jpg
Old 15-07-20, 03:52 PM

Common fake I’m afraid.