British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Everything Else > Other Militaria

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 26-07-16, 11:45 AM

Default GARTER FLASHES

Hi all,

I have always been fascinated by the things that make British Soldiers look different from each other, those identifying marks and traditions that make British Army uniform ....... well not uniform.

Badges are of course the main area for differences, but since the introduction of DPM in the late 1960's and the withdrawal of the Army from hotter climes more obvious distinctions have been slowly lost.

The stable belt remains and is still worn even with MTP and also lanyards, but the loss of No1 Dress, Khaki Drill, Jungle Green and even the reductions in No 2 Dress means that things like Coloured Side Caps, Hose Tops, Garter Flashes have virtually disappeared.

I have just posted a small album with the very few Garter Flashes that I have, RAOC, RAC, RAEC etc and wonder if any members have any other examples that they might like to add to the album hopefully making a record for anybody that might be interested in the future.

Cheers
Sean
Old 26-07-16, 12:30 PM

ROYAL ENGINEER hose top flash's. hope these help?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 68 RE HOSE TOP FLASH'S#.jpg (40.8 KB, 26 views)

JERRY
ROYAL ENGINEERS/BRITISH ARMY CORPS & SERVICES/BRITISH LEGION/ROYAL BRITISH LEGION (see albums)
Old 26-07-16, 12:33 PM

OOP'S Should have looked at album first.

JERRY
ROYAL ENGINEERS/BRITISH ARMY CORPS & SERVICES/BRITISH LEGION/ROYAL BRITISH LEGION (see albums)
Old 26-07-16, 12:36 PM

Hi Jerry
Thanks for that, these things are quite hard to find now for anyone that's interested. I have included a pair of RE ones in the album, have a look at the Malay RE ones
Cheers
Sean
Old 26-07-16, 01:45 PM

I collect Rhodesian army items including garter tabs. The ones I have are attached for interest.

Rh Arty = Rhodesian Arty, RhASC = Rhodesian Army Services Corps, RLI = Rhodesian Light Infantry, RRR = Royal Rhodesia Regt, NRR = Northern Rhodesia Regt
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Rh Arty gartar tab a.jpg (51.4 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg Rh Arty gartar tab b.jpg (60.5 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg RhASC gartar tab a.jpg (44.7 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg RhASC gartar tab b.jpg (43.5 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg RLI gartar tab a.jpg (48.7 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg RLI gartar tab b.jpg (47.1 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg RRR garter a.jpg (46.3 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg RRR garter b.jpg (42.6 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg NRR gartar tab.jpg (72.0 KB, 6 views)
Old 26-07-16, 01:52 PM

That's great very interesting, would be OK if I copy and paste them into the album and name you as the contributor ? In that way there is a source of reference for any interest in these things
Thanks again
Sean
Old 26-07-16, 02:00 PM

Sean, You are most welcome to use the images. Glad they are of interest. Regards. Dudley
Old 29-07-16, 04:28 PM

Default Kings Liverpool Regiment

Never seen examples for the Kings Liverpools but they are described in the regiments Dress Regulations under "Officers Pt.II- Tropical Dress"-

(e) Leg wear

(ii) Flashes of Regimental colours with maroon flash on top of, and to the front of, the blue; showing 1 1/2 inches below the bottom of the turned down hosetops.

P.B.

( Would be interested in acquiring a pair if anyone comes across them )

Members welcome in my private Facebook group “The Kings Liverpool Regiment ( 1685-1958 )”
Old 29-07-16, 06:19 PM

Thanks Peter, when you think how long battalions and units spent east of Suez, and even Cyprus, Malta and Libya you would thought there would be loads of photos of chaps in khaki drill shorts and garter flashes, but as they were probably optional and an added expense most probably didn't bother, my RAOC ones came from an uncle who retired in the 1970s yet my father who served in places like Aden from where we have hundreds of photos never wore them. Bit like side hats I suspect.
Old 29-07-16, 07:08 PM

When I was in coloured sidecaps were optional and if you wanted one you bought your own but there were regiments where they weren't worn by junior ranks. The garter tabs on the other hand were issued along with hosetops of regimental colour, in REME we wore navy blue hose tops and a red and yellow garter tab. The RA wore khaki hosetops and although I can't remember I'd guess at red and blue flashes.
Old 30-07-16, 06:08 PM

I believe Garter flashes were also used to differentiate different Royal Marine units - different colours for different Commandos from memory with tabs broadly matching lanyard colours - I think it may have been a post war practice. I collected some a few years ago now, but can not place them unfortunately. Hopefully someone will be able to illustrate them although I can not find any mention of them on the rmhistorical.com site, or in John Rawlinson's RM Dress distinctions book. Ones I recall were a) two red tabs, b) two light blue tabs, and I think c) two white tabs - all double tabs. I am pretty sure they looked like a swallow tails, with white band for around calf ...
Mike

Last edited by Mike B; 30-07-16 at 06:34 PM.
Old 30-07-16, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike B View Post
I believe Garter flashes were also used to differentiate different Royal Marine units - different colours for different Commandos from memory with tabs broadly matching lanyard colours - I think it may have been a post war practice. I collected some a few years ago now, but can not place them unfortunately. Hopefully someone will be able to illustrate them although I can not find any mention of them on the rmhistorical.com site, or in John Rawlinson's RM Dress distinctions book. Ones I recall were a) two red tabs, b) two light blue tabs, and I think c) two white tabs - all double tabs. I am pretty sure they looked like a swallow tails, with white band for around calf ...
Mike

40 Cdo. RM Light Blue.
41 Cdo. RM Yellow.
42 Cdo. RM White.
45 Cdo. RM Red.
HQ and Sigs Sqdn 3 Cdo. Bde RM Green.

Ritchie.
Old 30-07-16, 06:57 PM

Thank Mike & Ritchie that's great, I wonder if anyone has any examples they can share pics of?
Old 30-07-16, 07:57 PM

I just found the ones I have - actually a bit different than I recalled but here they are (I find it is black (not white) band for calf - of fairly stiff elastic)

White - No.42 (RM) Cdo
Red - No.45 (RM) Cdo

Ritchie (or anyone else) - Any help with dating would be much appreciated

All the best

Mike
Old 30-07-16, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by REMEVMBEA1 View Post
When I was in coloured sidecaps were optional and if you wanted one you bought your own but there were regiments where they weren't worn by junior ranks. The garter tabs on the other hand were issued along with hosetops of regimental colour, in REME we wore navy blue hose tops and a red and yellow garter tab. The RA wore khaki hosetops and although I can't remember I'd guess at red and blue flashes.
These are the garter flashes worn in Malaya/Malaysia at the end of the 1950s and early 1960s by the Royal Australian Artillery. Red and blue, our dress over there conformed in most respects with that of the British troops and may even have been supplied locally. I'm not certain if these were worn in Australia in summer dress in the northern areas.

Keith
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_7678.jpg (86.0 KB, 22 views)