British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Everything Else > Other Militaria

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 01-05-21, 03:20 PM

Default Stores Identification?

Hi there, I wonder if someone could help definitively settle a discussion on another forum? There is disagreement at to the exact use of the small green rubberised canvas pouch that came in the 1970's/80's issue toiletry roll? I was told, when issued one in 1981 that it was a toothbrush cover, but other people were told it was to hold your Knife Fork & Spoon set? To me it would seem odd to issue an item to keep your KFS in with your toiletries kit and not your messing kit? Though in fact I, like most people it seems did use it to keep our KFS in, usually in the BFA holder on the side of the 58 pattern ammo pouch, but its true designated use I have never known? Does anyone have any reference to stores issue numbers/description that can definitively identify and state its actual intended use and once and for all settle the argument?

Cheers

Tony
Old 02-05-21, 08:31 AM

We were told it was for KFS. I, like my fellow inmates, used it thus - and kept it in the 'wash bag'.

Mine is still used as such and is with my camping kit.

Chris
Old 02-05-21, 09:17 AM

Is this the pouch in question? This is mine from the 70's/80's complete with KFS used.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN2464[1].jpg (57.3 KB, 52 views)
Old 02-05-21, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeep View Post
Is this the pouch in question? This is mine from the 70's/80's complete with KFS used.
That's the one I got issued with in 1978 , it was tucked inside the wash roll (I think to stop it being lost ?).

Poppy and British Legion Wanted
Old 02-05-21, 01:13 PM

Thanks for the replies, Yes that is exactly what I'm talking about! I was issued one, told it was for a toothbrush and then like everyone else used it to put my KFS in (and still have it and use it for my KFS for camping too!) But I've been told that they were produced in huge quantities for service in the far east with the 44 pattern kit and the pouch was for a cut throat razor? Certainly, the issue KFS set of that time doesn't fit in the pouch! So I'm inclined to believe its original intended use was for a razor and re-purposed as a toothbrush cover but actually used for the KFS (when they started issuing sets that fit) but I'm looking for proof of its official designated purpose?

Tony
Old 02-05-21, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorbear View Post
Thanks for the replies, Yes that is exactly what I'm talking about! I was issued one, told it was for a toothbrush and then like everyone else used it to put my KFS in (and still have it and use it for my KFS for camping too!) But I've been told that they were produced in huge quantities for service in the far east with the 44 pattern kit and the pouch was for a cut throat razor? Certainly, the issue KFS set of that time doesn't fit in the pouch! So I'm inclined to believe its original intended use was for a razor and re-purposed as a toothbrush cover but actually used for the KFS (when they started issuing sets that fit) but I'm looking for proof of its official designated purpose?

Tony
I don't know of anyone who used a cut throat, and I am sure by the mid 40s most (if not all) were using safety razors. I am still using my fathers. I read an article on razor blades in use in Egypt during the war.

Also where would you keep the strop?

This of course is supposition.

Chris
Old 02-05-21, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAM View Post
I don't know of anyone who used a cut throat, and I am sure by the mid 40s most (if not all) were using safety razors. I am still using my fathers. I read an article on razor blades in use in Egypt during the war.

Also where would you keep the strop?

This of course is supposition.

Chris
Quite a reasonable one too! I have two WW2 safety razors, one made of bakerlite the other metal, both dated 1943, so have my doubts about the cut throat razor theory too! But I just cant see that an item of kit would be issued with another item of kit it had nothing to do with (the toiletry roll) for use with a different item (the KFS set) that didn't fit in it! And certainly from my own service (in the R/Sigs and Infantry) I wouldn't have kept my KFS in my toiletry roll, in a separate kidney pouch to my mess tins/rations and had to unpack two pouches every time I wanted to eat, so to me doesn't make sense?

Tony
Old 02-05-21, 05:50 PM

Default Holdall

The olive green ‘holdall’ was the successor to a version in white/cream linen which had been issued for many years and held the KFS (see photos) along with spare boot laces, button stick, shaving brush etc.

See also https://talesfromthesupplydepot.blog...ipment-part-1/

This for 1944 pattern kit https://talesfromthesupplydepot.blog...-and-contents/

Tim
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 595B1E71-0729-429A-B932-5EE5E6873571.jpg (30.9 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg E4434777-F6B1-490C-840C-36CAC3616A78.jpg (42.5 KB, 33 views)

Last edited by grey_green_acorn; 02-05-21 at 06:07 PM.
Old 02-05-21, 07:19 PM

The clot thickens! (In joke.)

Chris
Old 03-05-21, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorbear View Post
Certainly, the issue KFS set of that time doesn't fit in the pouch!
Possibly originally made for the WW2 (44 pattern) knife, fork and spoon (KFS) set.

https://talesfromthesupplydepot.blog...and-spoon-set/

P.S I had a set of these but can't remember if they were issued or if I bought them.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg KFS set.jpg (30.5 KB, 20 views)

Last edited by mike_vee; 03-05-21 at 08:28 AM.
Old 03-05-21, 10:18 AM

Described on "Tales from the Supply Depot" as Knife, Fork and Spoon Cover.

Quote:
This little waterproof cover is part of the 44 pattern jungle equipment and was designed to put the knife fork and spoon from this set in to reduce the risk of them rusting in the humid conditions of the jungle. It is a thin bag (now much faded) with a flap top and a string to secure it:
https://talesfromthesupplydepot.blog...sday-finds-22/

Old 03-05-21, 10:48 AM

Tony,

I was issued my 'green wash roll' whilst in training at Deepcut in 1972. It contained the little green item already described complete with KFS which clipped together and fitted perfectly into the pouch. In addition the roll came with an aluminium soap box. The only time mine went in the roll itself was for FFR (Fit for Role) Inspections, at all other times it was inside mess tins, together with toilet roll (not issued) which were carried on the web belt in the rear pouch. The wash roll and issued green towel were carried in the other rear pouch. 58 issue webbing being the norm at that time.

Steve
Old 03-05-21, 11:52 AM

I was issued my ‘green wash roll’ at Catterick in 1969. The storeman called out the names of the items as they were stacked on the counter, he held one up and said “this is your hold-all, it holds f*** all!”

Tim

Last edited by grey_green_acorn; 03-05-21 at 04:06 PM.