British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Australian Military Insignia > General Topics

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 04-05-08, 06:08 PM
Administrator

Default Australian Badge forum layout

sub forums in the Australian badge forum.

anyone care to have a go at a list of sections? should it be the same headings as in the Canadian section?
Old 04-05-08, 06:24 PM

Mike I think both Canadian and Australian sections should be the same as the British, I see no Artillery section in the canadian, and where the british have OTC,Schools Misc, the Canadian and Australian sections could have Misc.

Malc

Imagination is more important than knowledge. For while knowledge defines all we currently know and understand, imagination points to all we might yet discover.
Old 04-05-08, 07:02 PM
Super Moderator

Default National Differences

Malc, The Canadian and British military organization though similar are not the same, and in fact diverge more as we move away from colonial status. (pre-1914).
I don't know if the RCA warrants a section unto itself. The Corps and Branches is where the artillery should be in the Canadian section, and maybe Mike can add the Royal Canadian Artillery to that heading. Other than the profusion of artillery badges in WW1, their is not a lot of variety in cap badges. (Unlike the British with all the AA material.)
In addition, Canada had a large COTC organization, and that is under the heading Officer Training.
There is no area for formation patches and badges in the Canadian section, and they really don't fit neatly under General Topics. A new heading may be useful there.
I certainly understand the desire for parallel structures, but that may not meet the need of that particular nation. Fearnaught or another of the Aussies may be the ones to consult and see if the structure fits the reality of badges in that Dominion.

Last edited by Bill A; 04-05-08 at 07:04 PM. Reason: Added comment
Old 04-05-08, 07:29 PM

Bill i understand where your coming from, but with the Artillery it's not just about WW1 badges which Cox shows about 100 of them, it's all periods and not just about cap badges, anything artillery related, buttons,shoulder titles,cloth patches all which could come under the artillery section.plus i'm sure the Canadians used AA badges.
Malc

Imagination is more important than knowledge. For while knowledge defines all we currently know and understand, imagination points to all we might yet discover.
Old 04-05-08, 08:24 PM
Super Moderator

Hello Malc, I understand where you are coming from for the RCA. There maybe a parallel for a category on the RCA, RCE and RCCS. With these three corps there are lots of badges and patches.
A couple of notes. The Cox book section on CFA is in error. Most of those field artillery cap badges were bogus, and never existed. There is an addendum to the Cox book that explained the error. The RCA did not have cap badges for the AA units. There are slip-on titles for various AA regiments in both the WW2 army and post war regular force and militia. There are still a couple of AA units kicking around today, but all of these units wear the field gun pattern cap badge with the ubique motto. The differences are in the cloth identifiers.
As indicated there are also a couple of other categories which are different from the British system, in particular the "Branches" that came about with unification.
Old 04-05-08, 09:24 PM

Excuse me Bill but i find this funny that you a Canadian and me a Brit supposedly discussing what the Australian set up should be but concentrating on Canadian issues LOL
Any Australians want to pipe in feel free, it's your forum lay out.

Malc

Old 04-05-08, 09:28 PM
Administrator

flexible on the whole subject , whatever is required. have added RCA into the title of corps and branches.

what about the Restrikes, Fakes, Forgeries, and Copies ? don't know if it's worth keeping it as many threads elsewhere end up discussing the subject.

And the unidentified category ? move it up to the top. and that gets rid of that two forum odd section that's stuck in the middle between Brit and Canada. sound good?

now about formation patches - you want one in the Canadian section, I would put it between officer training and air force anyone agree? or somewhere else? and the title, which one: "Formation Signs" or "Formation Patches"

its not easy trying to get it right- so much overlap. Don't think perfection is achievable without the number of sections getting out of control, so it will always be an imperfect compromise.
Old 04-05-08, 09:33 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by joachim View Post
Excuse me Bill but i find this funny that you a Canadian and me a Brit supposedly discussing what the Australian set up should be but concentrating on Canadian issues LOL
Any Australians want to pipe in feel free, it's your forum lay out.

Malc

yes it was about Australian layout

i.e. "Cavalry and Mounted Troops" ( as Cox) or "Light Horse Regiments and Armoured" or what??

any Australian input gratefully received
Old 04-05-08, 09:42 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike View Post
and the title, which one: "Formation Signs" or "Formation Patches"

just done a Google search in quotes

11,200 = Formation Signs

1,340 = Formation Patches

looks like the best option is "Formation Signs and Patches"

think that would be the most successful with Google
Old 04-05-08, 09:42 PM
Super Moderator

Yes, Malc, it is funny. But that is the strength of the Commonwealth. We all think we know how things should be run. Agreed, the Aussie contingent should chime in on this, and kick the meddlers out.
Mike, I think one category for Restrikes Fakes Forgeries and Copies. We all can benefit from reading about them. As well the move of the Unidentified sounds good too.
Regarding the name for the signs category, the proper title for one in the Canadian section should be Formation and Tasking Signs, as there are signs that are not formations and some that are not cloth in the Canadian Forces. The location suggested is good.
One last suggestion, do we need a Trades, Proficiency and Prize Badges category (or categories) in both or all national headings?
Old 04-05-08, 10:10 PM
Administrator

ok it's in as "Formation and Tasking Signs" if we do a Brit one then we can call it "Formation Signs and Patches" we lose on uniformity but gain on the search engine optimization having our options covered. (moved a thread of yours to put something in it- hope i got it right, you can always move it back Bill if you like!)

re: Trades, Proficiency and Prize Badges category : if we add that one we may as well include rank insignia :

"Rank, Trades, Proficiency and Prize Insignia"
Old 04-05-08, 11:30 PM

Hi Guys,

As an Aussie here's my input :-)

How about the following categories?

Infantry

Light Horse/RAAC

University Regiments and Officer Training Units

Other Corps

Fakes and Restrikes?

or as an alternative break it up into time periods ie

Pre federation
1900-12
1912 - 18
1930 to 42
1948 - 60
Post 1960

etc etc

Mick
Old 04-05-08, 11:43 PM

To add to Mick's list can I suggest the following:

General Topics

Light Horse and Armoured

Infantry and Special Forces

Other Corps

Australian General Service Badge (Rising Sun)

University Regiments and Training Units

Cadets

Army Cloth Insignia and Unit Colour Patches

RAN

RAAF

Ranks, Trade and Proficiency

Photographs of Australian Servicemen and Women Wearing Insignia

Australian Wants and Items For Sale

Regards
Chris

Last edited by Chrisr; 05-05-08 at 05:11 AM. Reason: Added a category
Old 05-05-08, 12:15 AM

Guys you are doing a great job working it out
will input badges when ready
from an Aussie
Ted
Old 05-05-08, 01:31 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike View Post

re: Trades, Proficiency and Prize Badges category : if we add that one we may as well include rank insignia :

"Rank, Trades, Proficiency and Prize Insignia"

Yes Mike I forgot about rank badges.