British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Common Forums > Reproductions, Restrikes, Fakes, Forgeries, and Copies

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 23-03-13, 07:13 PM

Default Huntingdon cyclist batt

Hello,
I'm new to this Forum and new to cap badge collecting. I have a question concerning the J.R.GAUNT B'HAM MAKERS MARK....If this apears on a badge slider does it mean that it's a 70's Restrike? Thanks for your opinions in advance.
Dale
Old 23-03-13, 10:52 PM

Smile Hunts Cyclists

From your post I gather you have a Hunts Cyclist cap badge with J.R.GAUNT B'HAM on the slider.

There are threads on makers marks on the forum, but the badge originally worn by the Hunts Cyclists which basically was a WWI training unit that never served overseas as a unit has been worn since that period by other Military Units.

In WWII it was issued to the Home guard, it was also worn by Kimbolton School CCF which makes the possibility of the name on the slider being a genuine badge, Gaunt B'Ham is found on later badge sliders which could possibly make this badge one issued to Kimbolton School.

I hope this helps and that other members can add to the thread.

Rob

Last edited by Sonofacqms; 24-03-13 at 10:14 AM.
Old 24-03-13, 10:22 AM
Former Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rock79 View Post
Hello,
I'm new to this Forum and new to cap badge collecting. I have a question concerning the J.R.GAUNT B'HAM MAKERS MARK....If this apears on a badge slider does it mean that it's a 70's Restrike? Thanks for your opinions in advance.
Dale
Dale,
ALL the Gaunt B'HAM badges were reproduction items produced in the 1970's. I do not believe many of them were "Restrikes" as most appear to have come from "New Dies". They probably would have been worn by individuals from regular units as privately purchased items and worn rather than the anodised issued badges which were unpopular! It is also quite likely that cadet units would have purchased them for wear too?

Andy

Last edited by 2747andy; 24-03-13 at 11:07 AM.
Old 24-03-13, 10:38 AM
Mr. Jackanory

I had a Kimbolton School CCF stag cap badge that was given to me by a former officer of the unit. I believe the slider was unmarked on this particular badge. CCF units and ACF units that continued to wear 'old' badges, Yorks and Lancs, Robin Hood Rifles would have had them made by Gaunts etc but not on a military contract. Funds for the badge being supplied by Regimental Associations. To have a plain slider or a JR Gaunt one is quite possible.
Old 24-03-13, 10:46 AM

Here are some pictures of badge. Thanks for the information!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20130324_093909.jpg (63.8 KB, 36 views)
File Type: jpg 20130324_093923.jpg (81.8 KB, 42 views)