British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Infantry (& Guards) Badges

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 15-03-08, 09:25 PM

Default Royal West Kent Regiment

Here is my badge to the Royal West Kent Regiment . I'm listing a few of my badges as I seem to have collected quite a few restrikes in my time . As such Iam trying to weed out the little bliters . What do you think ?

Last edited by Mike; 22-03-08 at 03:59 PM. Reason: move pic to BBF
Old 15-03-08, 09:31 PM
Super Moderator

That mark is post war 1947-late 50s. I tend to find that these ones are OK and the Bh'am ones came later. However there is always the possibility that Gaunt used London in addition to the usual Bham ones on their 1970s repro. In this case I doubt that the RWK was restruck by the company as it is a common badge.

Alan

Last edited by Alan O; 15-03-08 at 09:34 PM.
Old 15-03-08, 09:35 PM

So how would a WW1 badge be different from this ?
Spencer
Old 15-03-08, 09:49 PM

WW1 badges will have long tapering sliders as opposed to the more regular dumpty ended ones of the 40s onwards.

I'd also look for a crisper rear striking of the badge as yours doesn't have much detail and a funny goldish colour in the deep parts.

Personally I couldn't gaurentee this one for certain, for me it's one of those 50-50 badges. I have never seen a RWK with a gaunt mark before and I'm not sure if its a good or bad sign.

He's a (poor) scan of the back of my RWK which has a nice early style slider which was clipped by the squaddie who owned it (clipped sliders are generally a good sign I find) next to a full length early slider on a Sussex.

Luke

Are you specifically trying to collect first war badges in your infantry '14 collection?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ept.JPG (14.7 KB, 85 views)
Old 15-03-08, 09:56 PM

Yes I'm trying for WW1 but it's very hard to Distinguish between WW2 and beyond . Most of the books I have just list what the badge looks like not the Variation in Manufacture . As such sometimes I end up with later badges like this one .
Old 15-03-08, 10:22 PM

Okey dokes, lets see if I can give you a quick crash course in picking out WW1 era sliders as opposed to later ones.

These badges in this first lot of attachments all have what I would call a stereotypical first war slider. Can you see how they taper (get thinner towards the end), whilst generally they are just more slender (dainty looking) than later ones (easiest to see in the RMF, RMF '16 and Young Citizens)

These earlier sliders are also not unusually seen with crimp lines (see the rangers and 7th London) which are not present on later badges.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg back.JPG (33.4 KB, 55 views)
File Type: jpg back2.jpg (14.8 KB, 52 views)
File Type: jpg back3.jpg (29.4 KB, 51 views)
File Type: jpg back4.jpg (21.6 KB, 55 views)
Old 15-03-08, 10:36 PM

Having trouble loading up the 2 RMFs so will email it to you.

Second world war/later sliders appear more as follows (although some of the badges I've posted are dodgey the slider shape is still generally the same they aren't badly reproduced sliders):

An exception to this rule is the tapering FN sliders of ww2 (like those found on the RI Rifles) but it has a destinctive shape that lets one ID it as a FN slider. - that's a genuine FN RIR pictured btw

Hope that helps,

Luke
Attached Images
File Type: jpg rWK2.jpg (16.0 KB, 63 views)
File Type: jpg FAKE.jpg (21.6 KB, 43 views)
File Type: jpg BLAA.jpg (14.6 KB, 39 views)
File Type: jpg FN.jpg (33.1 KB, 54 views)
Old 15-03-08, 10:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paddy McGinty View Post
Having trouble loading up the 2 RMFs so will :

An exception to this rule is the tapering FN sliders of ww2 (like those found on the RI Rifles) but it has a destinctive shape that lets one ID it as a FN slider. - that's a genuine FN RIR pictured btw

Luke
Which if going by the other threads could quite easily be a fake, after all there's a missing void too.
Old 15-03-08, 10:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Blakeman View Post
Which if going by the other threads could quite easily be a fake, after all there's a missing void too.
No Keith that ones real alright I'm sure, I wouldn't let this FN business start a panic. Looking at the general condition of that badge its spot on great age and patina to the white metal as well as the slider, in my opinion a makers mark should never make you believe in a badge just because its present, my thinking has and always will be if the badge sits right and a makers name is there then thats nice but not defiinitive proof of authenticity.

My gripe with that FN KRRC was that I don't like the toning of it or the slider, and as the Welsh boys pointed out the die was wrong for the Welsh badge... to be honest I though it looked a bit too shiney on the back personally.

Notice also the FN mark on this RIR is dead straight and clear, on the Welsh its was on the piss and the KRRC was a very weak impression of the mark... reckon there may be something in that, the quality, position/orientation of the mark?

Cheers,

Luke

Last edited by Luke H; 15-03-08 at 10:58 PM.
Old 16-03-08, 12:46 PM
Super Moderator

I have an identical Fn Bham RUR with the missing void with 100% provenance. It is a genuine badge as I know where it has been for the last 60 years.

Alan

Last edited by Alan O; 16-03-08 at 01:00 PM.
Old 31-10-18, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan O View Post
That mark is post war 1947-late 50s. I tend to find that these ones are OK and the Bh'am ones came later. However there is always the possibility that Gaunt used London in addition to the usual Bham ones on their 1970s repro. In this case I doubt that the RWK was restruck by the company as it is a common badge.

Alan
Hi Alan

The slider on this one tapers from 5mm down to 4mm. What is your opinion?

E
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_9119.jpg (55.1 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_9120.jpg (51.8 KB, 23 views)
Old 31-10-18, 01:53 PM
Super Moderator

It looks correct for a period badge to me.

Alan
Old 31-10-18, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan O View Post
It looks correct for a period badge to me.

Alan
Thank you Alan