British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Canadian Military Insignia > General Topics

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 28-05-12, 03:51 AM

Default Misc Patch Lot

Recently got all these patches...some WW2 era, most post war...

Honestly dont know much about some of the trade patches, I assume they could be WW2 issue but used well post war ? I know the ones with the QC are post war for sure.
I know the RCAF trade badges are good and war time.

I assume most of the titles are post war? as they are abbreviated.

Old 28-05-12, 09:17 AM

Default Technology

Technology is a wonderful thing; try typing into Google 'Canadian Army trades Badges' and see what you get, I did, it took less than 10 seconds to find the information you are looking for.....
Old 28-05-12, 11:10 AM
Super Moderator

Abbreviations are not a clear indication of time period. During the Second World War, the corps titles were usually spelled out overseas, and abbreviated when made for wear in Canada. Of course there are exceptions to this "rule of thumb", and some corps, like the Canadian Dental Corps are not found in abbreviated form.
Old 28-05-12, 02:56 PM

Thanks Bill, good to know.

Just got these so the research beings...and yes Google is a close friend of mine
Old 28-05-12, 05:28 PM

You can find a number of the trade badges on our website. Good luck with your research.
Old 28-05-12, 07:34 PM

I have already found your site helpful, thank you.

Question though: Most of the trades patches have a tan backing, only a few ones that I have use a black backing.

Always thought ww2 Era would have the black material on the back. Did WW2 era also have the tan?

I hope all that makes sense!
Old 29-05-12, 03:20 PM
Super Moderator

Hi Vix, Don't put too much into the backing material. Khaki, buff, light green, and black cotton backings can be found. The army trade badges that you have are the 1956 series. The khaki drill badges are Second World War era. The airforce trade badges are also SWW era.
Old 29-05-12, 03:41 PM

Default Misc Patch Lot

The rectangular coloured patches were worn by cadets of the Royal Military College of Canada (RMC) to designate the wearer's squadron and year, the colour indicating the squadron and the number of vertical gold stripes the year (!st, 2nd, 3rd, or 4th. In the good old days there were five squadrons: No 1 (Hudson), dark blue; No 2 (LaSalle), red; No 3 (Pontiac), green; No 4 (Frontenac), gray and No 5 (Brock), maroon.
There are some points of confusion, however. There are in the accumulation both gray and light blue patches, which I can not explain. It is only speculation on my part, but it seems to me that the colours were meant to match the patch colours of the five Canadian overseas divisions in the First and Second World Wars. Based upon that supposition, the correct colour for No. 4 Squadron would be gray or, more correctly, French gray. The light blue patch may very well be a dye lot error. It will be immediately evident that the numerical assignment of colours did not match that of the Canadian divisions.
Another point of confusion for me is the seemingly black patches. That colour was never, to the best of my knowledge, worn as a patch at RMC.
The final point of confusion is the black patch with the vertical white stripe - that one has me baffled.
One final note. Cadets in the preparatory year at Le college militaire royal de Saint-Jean (CMR) wore a diamond-shaped patch in squadron colour: Maisonneuve, light blue; Champlain, red; and Cartier, green. They wore the same coloured rectangular patches for first and and second years before proceeding to RMC. The foregoing describes the system of patches before the closure in 1995 of CMR and Royal Roads. When RMC expanded as a result, eight squadrons were added.
I hope this helps. Some more information may come to light with further research.
Old 29-05-12, 03:53 PM

Thanx guys!

I will post some clearer pics later this eve.
Old 29-05-12, 04:27 PM
Super Moderator

A short note on the army trade patches. These are the small circular patches in the upper middle of the image. Many trades had four groups. A plain device was the lowest group, the device with a laurel spray underneath was group 2, a device with a crown above was group 3, and a device with a crown above and a spray of leaves below was group 4. All of the khaki worsted badges in the image are the 1956 series of trades badges.
Old 29-05-12, 04:50 PM

Well Wyn because of you I have learned something new today.Thank you.

Jo

“There are things we know that we know,” “There are known unknowns. That is to say there are things that we now know we don't know. But there are also unknown unknowns. There are things we do not know we don't know.”
Donald Rumsfeld, before the Iraqi Invasion,2003.

Age is something that doesn't matter, unless you are a cheese.