British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Common Forums > Reproductions, Restrikes, Fakes, Forgeries, and Copies

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 31-05-22, 11:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatherofthree View Post
Greetings DD.

Perhaps it was chasing the Mouse.

As to the badges you've shown, The Essex is a fine example of the first pattern badge to the Regiment, 1881 to 1904 or thereabouts, possibly a year or so earlier.

From what I can see the remainder look good, but I'll leave others to comment on them if they wish.

Regards.

Brian
Hi Brian

Thanks for your comments. Our cat has done this before and I usually edit it but thought it might raise a smile. The "mouse" is cordless as she has chewed the older models...

As I said, I know nothing about these badges and my plan of collecting them disappeared when I found other things, such as "war service" badges.

You can probably gauge my level of knowledge in that I thought that the T/RFA was a small but complete badge...

If anyone has viewed these and would be interested, just PM me and we can go from there. I do have others and I think that the 8th Irish Hussars has a pair of collars and one "8 H" title (I was conned out of the other some years back.....)

Cheers and thanks again
Old 01-06-22, 05:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatherofthree View Post
As to the badges you've shown, The Essex is a fine example of the first pattern badge to the Regiment, 1881 to 1904 or thereabouts, possibly a year or so earlier.
Morning Brian, I’d have thought the cap badge would not have been sealed until the 1890s?

I’m sure Julian will have the pattern no. with seal date somewhere.
Old 01-06-22, 06:03 AM
Super Moderator

It was worn from 1897 prior to that the Essex used a collar on the FSC.
Old 01-06-22, 10:24 PM

Alan and Luke.

Many thanks for correcting the dates, an error on my part, which I suspect is something to do with getting older and or quaffing a pint or three.

I did come across a picture of an Essex bloke wearing the collar badge in his FSC, failed to buy and now lost track of it.

Regards.

Brian.
Old 17-06-22, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jelly Terror View Post
Excellent idea for a thread - long overdue.

Perhaps I might start the ball rolling with a few observations relating to F. E. Woodward sliders?

Attachment 222969

The dimensions of Woodward sliders, taken from the forty-odd examples in my collection, all fall within the following parameters:

Length: 38.5mm to 39mm
Width at bend: 5mm to 5.5mm
Width 3mm from bottom end: 4mm
Thickness: just over 1mm

Attachment 222970

Tapering gently inward from the top end to the bottom, the vast majority have a characteristic crimp close to the bend, though there are examples which bear no crimp whatsoever:

Attachment 222954

Not all Woodward sliders are marked with the company name. Excluding Woodward-made Queen's Royal West Surrey badges, approximately 13% of the badges in my collection are unmarked:

Attachment 222955

Given that the Woodward crimp can, on occasion, be recklessly deep, some sliders appear to have been strengthened/repaired at point of manufacture by means of a blob of braze over the crimp itself:

Attachment 222956 Attachment 222957

Conversely, some crimp marks can be quite shallow and not nearly as deep as others:

Attachment 222958

But by and large, the vast majority of Woodward sliders bear the characteristic crimp and the company name, though the orientation of the Woodward mark is not always consistent:

Attachment 222961

There are also fake Woodward sliders, some of which are seen more frequently than others; one which springs immediately to mind is the Rydal School OTC badge. I have a small archive of images depicting questionable Woodward sliders/badges, which I will endeavour to add/upload in due course.
A tad late with this, but here is a fantastic example of the Rydal School OTC fake Woodward MM & slider:

0A8F01E9-F8AD-452E-B0D3-5ACF3FF19DCC.jpeg F0850DA3-44A2-4EB1-B505-819D5517F492.jpg 14756AAF-82F4-40CE-823D-A520DDE6FC1F.jpg

https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/fo...50&postcount=7

JT

Last edited by Jelly Terror; 17-06-22 at 05:54 PM.