British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Photographs of British Servicemen and Women Wearing Insignia

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 16-09-22, 10:57 AM

Default Guards Lance Corporal - Dress mishap

Where's the RSM when needed ? One would assume that this JNCO should by now know how to dress himself. See photo - belt !!!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg belt.jpg (69.4 KB, 168 views)
Old 16-09-22, 12:21 PM

Sorry to say this, but the Guards are not what they used to be. I have noted many small faults regarding their turn out and appearance in recent years. This applies not just to them either unfortunately.
I may be censured for this, but Guards uniforms were not designed for overweight men, much less for women. Modern times I guess.

CB
Old 16-09-22, 02:07 PM

The 1st Guard might grow into his jacket one day. Looks like a sack of shite.
Jail him !!!
Old 16-09-22, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbuehler View Post
Sorry to say this, but the Guards are not what they used to be. I have noted many small faults regarding their turn out and appearance in recent years. This applies not just to them either unfortunately.
I may be censured for this, but Guards uniforms were not designed for overweight men, much less for women. Modern times I guess.

CB
CB, I have to agree with you.
Andy
Old 16-09-22, 09:39 PM

Looks to me like they are practising and not in the dress for the duties they are about to do
They all look soaked in the rain, Give them a break
Can you old sweats say you would look smarter in them conditions and be better
I doubt it
Old 17-09-22, 01:21 AM

I misdoubt that any Guardsman, nor any other serving soldier, sailor or airman, would accept your statement of "give them a break" with any appreciation in this instance. Even if it was a pouring deluge.
I include this assemblage of a series of videos showing the Guards of old.
I am quite sure a tunic belt worn incorrectly would in any circumstance elicit a very stern response in these days.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nfPYj1vLBDA
Old 17-09-22, 06:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbuehler View Post
I am quite sure a tunic belt worn incorrectly would in any circumstance elicit a very stern response in these days.
If an NCO , wearing medal ribbons , cannot put a belt on the correct way even for a 'rehearsal' then he deserves to be criticised.

The fact that this was a 'ceremonial' event , in full view of the public , standards should have been at the highest no matter the time of day , weather or any other factor.

Poppy and British Legion Wanted
Old 17-09-22, 05:32 PM

Both the belts that are in full view (1st & 2nd Soldiers) have not been fastened correctly.

Marc
Old 17-09-22, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Spellman View Post
Looks to me like they are practising and not in the dress for the duties they are about to do
I doubt it
Paul, in my time in the Grenadiers discipline was everything. I got bagged once during a room and locker inspection, and had to reshow. My entire bed space at the Guard Room. The reason I got bagged was, the Sergeant found a dead spider in my locker ! I got charged twice, once for having a pet and again for not feeding it.....
Andy
Old 17-09-22, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Spellman View Post
I doubt it
Paul,

Please don't doubt it, I would have looked better, as a third generation Coldstreamer, I find this shocking, not only is it a rehearsal (which should be as good as the real thing) and the biggest Parade this Lance Corporal will ever be a part of, he should, in the finest traditions of the Guards Division be in immaculate order.

As an 'Old Sweat' I would have made sure I was.

Another indication of the state of our once proud Nation has fallen to.

Simon.
Old 17-09-22, 07:42 PM

Andy, That is one awesome story, "... having a pet and for not feeding it!" this one I am going to remember for a long time.

I was in ROTC in college, and got a Good Conduct ribbon for no demerits -my first and only true military award. But darn, picked up a demerit my second year for my gig line being off!!! After year two my parents moved to Texas so I had to change schools as I could no longer afford out of state fees. My new college didn't offer an ROTC program. Ended up graduating from the University at Austin. That was almost 60 years ago now and I still have that little yellow ribbon and am very proud of it as it is my only military ward. Found out I have a bad heart valve that kept out of service during Vietnam when I tried to join after graduating college.

Air Force ROTC Sgt. me on the right!!!

Bottom line, I pretty sure your gig beat mine by a very long mile!!!!

Terry

Last edited by Home Guard; 18-09-22 at 01:36 AM.
Old 17-09-22, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Home Guard View Post
Andy, That is one awesome story, "... having a pet and for not feeding it!" this one I am going to remember for a long time.

I was in ROTC in college, and got a Good Conduct ribbon for no demerits, but darn, picked up my first and only one my second year for my gig line being off!!! That was almost 60 years ago now and I still have that little yellow ribbon and am very proud of it as it is my only military ward. Found out I have a heart condition that kept out of service during Vietnam when I tried to join after college.

Terry
Nice one Terry.
Andy
Old 17-09-22, 08:42 PM

It was a daily occurrence and nothing new for any soldier through training and obviously beyond for Guardsmen for getting their locker trashed by an NCO or getting bounced off to the guardroom for a beasting for the slightest indiscretion or even made up excuse, that’s what life was like when people of my age and older went through and put up with.
Those who served before me would say we had it easy but in reality it wasn’t and I doubt it is now either, your at the benefit to comment on lots of journalistic and social media pictures available now that wasn’t there during your service and I know for certain there could be many instances Guardsman’s and others dress, ability and conduct could of been brought it to question from years ago before this incident

I will add by the time of the event they were practicing for any issues with dress etc would be sorted.
Old 18-09-22, 03:43 PM

I can see the sentiments on both sides. I remember saying something similar to my father who replied that when he joined the Army in 1932 the old sweats, who had been in the trenches, used to say it was not easy like this in my day!

Plus ça change!

Chris
Old 18-09-22, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Home Guard View Post

I was in ROTC in college, and got a Good Conduct ribbon for no demerits -my first and only true military award. But darn, picked up a demerit my second year for my gig line being off!!! After year two my parents moved to Texas so I had to change schools as I could no longer afford out of state fees. My new college didn't offer an ROTC program. Ended up graduating from the University at Austin. That was almost 60 years ago now and I still have that little yellow ribbon and am very proud of it as it is my only military ward. Found out I have a bad heart valve that kept out of service during Vietnam when I tried to join after graduating college.

Air Force ROTC Sgt. me on the right!!!

Terry
Great pic.
Andy