British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > General Topics.

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 29-08-22, 10:49 AM

Default Re: Addition to Forum Rules

With regard to the new addition to forum rules (specifically: 'Threads and posts solely to promote a specific seller, dealer or auctioneer are not allowed – that is threads and posts that appear to be an advertisement for a seller are not allowed'), may I ask if this applies to dealers, auctioneers, sellers who may already be members of this forum?

With thanks,

JT
Old 29-08-22, 10:56 AM

Good point, well raised JT.
Old 29-08-22, 12:42 PM

The reason for my query is that there seems to be a little ambiguity.

1) Does the rule mean promoting sellers, dealers and auctioneers is prohibited, or does it mean promoting their sales/auctions is prohibited, or both?

2) Does it mean forum members who are dealers, auctioneers etc., are prohibited from promoting themselves and/or their own sales?

There are forum members who are established dealers who post solely to advertise sales and auctions, and there are also members who regularly sell on site, though most definitely not in the capacity of established dealers.

Clearly we have a 'Fairs, Sales, Sellers and Auctions' page within the forum, so just wondering how this addition to the rules might impact generally?

Not looking here to be inflammatory... simply seeking clarification.

Regards,

JT
Old 29-08-22, 01:48 PM

What about posts saying that respected dealers are stopping selling, possibly for a limited period ?
P

Members welcome in my private Facebook group “The Kings Liverpool Regiment ( 1685-1958 )”
Old 29-08-22, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Brydon View Post
What about posts saying that respected dealers are stopping selling, possibly for a limited period ?
P
It’s a bit of a minefield (I have no affiliation with any military ordnance sellers, dealers or auctioneers).

JT

Last edited by Jelly Terror; 29-08-22 at 07:47 PM.
Old 29-08-22, 05:43 PM

Hello Peter,
In my opinion such a post falls into the "Thank you, most helpful? category. But am I wrong?
Old 29-08-22, 07:29 PM

Graham,
Not in my opinion.
Peter

Members welcome in my private Facebook group “The Kings Liverpool Regiment ( 1685-1958 )”
Old 29-08-22, 08:20 PM

The only regular post that I can think of that falls into this category are the constant posts by Robin McGregor advertising his latest auctions.

I assume the rule is to prevent him advertising his auctions on here and others who may do the same.

I have no problem with the new rule as I am always aware of whos selling what and when anyway.

regards

Manchester Regiment Collector
Rank, Prize & Trade Badges
British & Commonwealth Artillery Badges
Old 30-08-22, 08:45 AM

It seems fairly clear to me. If in doubt say nothing which may flout directly or indirectly the rule and you can't go wrong.

Dave..
Old 30-08-22, 09:32 AM

It’d be nice to get some feedback from the mods and seller/dealer members whom this might directly affect. Perhaps I have misinterpreted the intention behind the new rule (perhaps I haven’t), but where, for example, does it leave posts/discussions such as:

‘So-and-so seller is having a sale this month. Does anybody know when?’

or

‘Does anybody know of any good badge shops in so-and-so town, as I’ll be visiting there next month?’

or

‘Can someone post a link to so-and-so auction please?’

Even criticism of a particular seller’s or auctioneer’s fees might be seen as publicity.

How about those dealer members’ albums advertising their latest updates etc?

Eradicating this kind of input (if that’s the intention) will aggrieve some, who may feel discussion and opportunity will be stifled, and please others who may think it’s long overdue. And no, the forum is not a democracy; rules is rules and it’s not my place to question them but I think this new addition is a subject worthy of exploration.

JT

Last edited by Jelly Terror; 30-08-22 at 10:13 AM.
Old 30-08-22, 11:04 AM
Super Moderator

Please apply commonsense. There have been too many cases where dealers sites have being advertised, overtly or not, that include badges which are dubious .

The forum should not be seen as endorsing any dealers' wares and I would be annoyed if a Forum Member ended up buying a fake badge on the strength of a recommendation posted on the Forum.

There is a dealers and sales section for you to discuss the marketplace but please refrain from being anything less than transparent. So if you are a dealer, or mates with a dealer, and wish to state that there is a sale or fair or the like then fine. By all means comment on auctions and sales but likewise be prepared to accept other people's opinions that may not agree with your views.

So in the same way that some one is unknowingly selling a badge in the sales section then you can expect them to be told that it's not right and accept it with good grace.

Finally when posting consider whether your post is actually adding to the knowledge base in the forum or is it more akin to a free sales pitch for the dealer in question? If it's the latter then don't post it.
Old 30-08-22, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan O View Post
Please apply commonsense. There have been too many cases where dealers sites have being advertised, overtly or not, that include badges which are dubious .

The forum should not be seen as endorsing any dealers' wares and I would be annoyed if a Forum Member ended up buying a fake badge on the strength of a recommendation posted on the Forum.

There is a dealers and sales section for you to discuss the marketplace but please refrain from being anything less than transparent. So if you are a dealer, or mates with a dealer, and wish to state that there is a sale or fair or the like then fine. By all means comment on auctions and sales but likewise be prepared to accept other people's opinions that may not agree with your views.

So in the same way that some one is unknowingly selling a badge in the sales section then you can expect them to be told that it's not right and accept it with good grace.

Finally when posting consider whether your post is actually adding to the knowledge base in the forum or is it more akin to a free sales pitch for the dealer in question? If it's the latter then don't post it.
Thanks for clarifying that, Alan.

JT
Old 31-08-22, 05:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan O View Post
Please apply commonsense.

This will be interesting.