British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Common Forums > Reproductions, Restrikes, Fakes, Forgeries, and Copies

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 12-08-22, 11:55 AM

Default vb

Just checking if Leo was refering to W and W - " I was checking the results of another militaria auction last week "...

Mark
Old 12-08-22, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mm1 View Post
Hi Leo,

are you refering to the latest Wallis and Wallis sale ? I viewed quite a large part of the auction just out of interest, and couldn't believe the number of lots that went unsold. Starting prices were quite high and auctioneer was passing lots without any discretion or without starting low to get the lot started- probably, as you say, reserves must have been very high.

Mark
The VB’s in that sale were all genuine and went for silly money. Pity the buyer of the York and Lancs pair, one of which had a broken coronet.
Old 12-08-22, 02:46 PM

Hello Keith, I bid on the Y & L VB badges but, fortunately, did not win. I had not noticed the damaged coronet - front, extreme left. Phew ! Lucky me !!
Old 12-08-22, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Blakeman View Post
The VB’s in that sale were all genuine and went for silly money. Pity the buyer of the York and Lancs pair, one of which had a broken coronet.
Its looks like a contemporary repair and it is a rare item after all (2nd pattern with a brazed on 1st Vol Bn plaque).

I would have no problem owning it as it looks to me it is one of the very early 1st VB (Hallamshire) badges that has been converted by the addition of the plaque.

Ivan
Old 17-08-22, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mm1 View Post
Hi Leo,

are you refering to the latest Wallis and Wallis sale ? I viewed quite a large part of the auction just out of interest, and couldn't believe the number of lots that went unsold. Starting prices were quite high and auctioneer was passing lots without any discretion or without starting low to get the lot started- probably, as you say, reserves must have been very high.

Mark
Mark, yes W&W. Difficult to say of course who set the reserves. Maybe the seller had very fixed prices they weren't prepared to go below, or the auction house just got the prices wrong, who knows. I have previously said that I've both bought from, and sold through W&W. On one 'infamous' occasion they completely condemned as a copy/repro a WW2 item that I was selling. I knew it was 100% genuine as I knew the chap that had brought it back in 1945 after his wartime service ended, so even W&W get it wrong now and then.
Regards,
Leo