British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Royal Navy and Royal Marines

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 27-07-22, 07:44 AM

Default Black Submariners Caps

Hi everyone.

Thanks very much for your comments, especially Tony (Sailorbear). I see the introduction of these totally unecessary items of kit is being conducted in the usual shambolic way! But thanks very much for the info.

Pete
'It is upon the Navy, under the good providence of God, that the Wealth, Prosperity and Peace of these islands and of the Empire do mainly depend' - Preamble to the Articles of War in the reign of Charles II
Old 09-08-22, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nozzer View Post
I believe one or two members of the forum are still serving, so they might be able to pop into slops and find what the official issue caps/covers are. The only company that I have found that are supplying these covers are

https://tw-bracher.co.uk/product/bla...ted-cap-cover/

It has been a long time since I have been to Queen Street in Pompey, so I don't know what tailors are still there? I think Baun & Co might still be going, so might be worth popping in to see what they might have? As for Plymouth, I haven't been back since the 1980's..... What is Union Street like these days?
Awful! a near derelict wasteland and total dump! not much different to Queen Street!(where the only tailors now are Bauns and Tailor Lee! Barnards, the fancy one that sold the gucci civvy clothing (I forget the name?) and Shimbarts, are all long gone! So has the tattoo kiosk by the railway crossing at the start of Edinburgh road and Aggie Weston's Royal Sailors Rests, the Home Club is still there, but named the Maritime Club now. In Guzz, the Royal Fleet club has gone and so has Aggies, Diamond lil's and even the two tree's (or twigs as we knew it! The days when both were a run of pubs, naval tailors, tattooists and more pubs, with hoards of matelots, bootneck's and ladies of lesser repute thronging the street, as in the 1970's/early 80's, are regrettably long gone!

Last edited by sailorbear; 09-08-22 at 07:45 PM.
Old 10-08-22, 06:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorbear View Post
Awful! a near derelict wasteland and total dump! not much different to Queen Street!(where the only tailors now are Bauns and Tailor Lee! Barnards, the fancy one that sold the gucci civvy clothing (I forget the name?) and Shimbarts, are all long gone! So has the tattoo kiosk by the railway crossing at the start of Edinburgh road and Aggie Weston's Royal Sailors Rests, the Home Club is still there, but named the Maritime Club now. In Guzz, the Royal Fleet club has gone and so has Aggies, Diamond lil's and even the two tree's (or twigs as we knew it! The days when both were a run of pubs, naval tailors, tattooists and more pubs, with hoards of matelots, bootneck's and ladies of lesser repute thronging the street, as in the 1970's/early 80's, are regrettably long gone!
Had my stag-night in the Two Trees ... or so I've been told !!
Old 10-08-22, 05:50 PM

I remember that there was a large surplus shop in Union Street. Can't remember what it was called, but it was an amazing place and I picked up many treasures back in the early 1980's. I remember paying £1.50 for 1945 issue black caps (the oval type) still in the paper bags! There was an old chap, bent over double. He always very kind and patient and would always rummage and come out with something. He knew my love of cap ribbons and it was there that my interest in the Navy of the 1940's and 50's was born.

My father was a Matelot in the 1950's and 60's and the stories that he told me about this street where the stuff of legends. By the time that I went to Raleigh in 1988 it was nothing like he had told, but I wasn't there very long...