British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Other Army Departments and Corps Badges

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 23-10-15, 04:27 PM

Default 161st Recce Reg

Hi, a bit of a curiosity. I picked this model up this morning. Though I may be wrong, I believe it to be the 161st Recce Reg. If so why would it have an RAC badge on it? I thought they wore The Green Howards badge. Maybe someone could enlighten me? It is a very good wooden model made of oak I think, again I stand to be corrected. Thanks in advance Mike
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC02410.jpg (47.4 KB, 59 views)
File Type: jpg DSC02411.jpg (50.6 KB, 47 views)
File Type: jpg DSC02408.jpg (58.3 KB, 46 views)

Last edited by fearnaught; 24-10-15 at 06:45 AM.
Old 23-10-15, 04:37 PM

Exellent contemporary scratch-built model - Humber Armoured Car?
Poor quality images but they were definitely badged Green Howards, but out of consideration to the RAC, WOs and SNCOs wore the RAC beret badge as a WOs and SNCOs arm badge. It can just be seen here. Mike
161 Regt RAC Green Howards.jpg161 Regt RAC.01.jpg
Old 23-10-15, 05:03 PM

Hi Mike, thanks for that, maybe it was a presentation piece. The badge is a good quality piece, still traces of high polished silver plate? lugs originally N and S though the lower one has been replaced to fix it to the AC, thanks again Mike
Old 23-10-15, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fearnaught View Post
Hi Mike, thanks for that, maybe it was a presentation piece. The badge is a good quality piece, still traces of high polished silver plate? lugs originally N and S though the lower one has been replaced to fix it to the AC, thanks again Mike
I believe that the wearing of the RAC badge as described was unique to 161Recce Regt. They had a very frustrating War - apart from one Squadron which was detached and sent to France in July 1944 to replace A Squadron, 43 Inf Div Recce Regt, most of whom were killed when their ship was mined. Although the Green Howards Squadron as they were known fought their first actions badged Green Howards, officialdom caught up with them and by Aug 44 they were in khaki berets with the Recce Corps badge. Mike