British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Common Forums > It's a Mystery -Unknown Insignia for Identification

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 11-08-22, 12:06 PM

Default IMPERIAL ARMY / MTD Shoulder Title

I was rather hoping someone on here may be able to provide a positive identification for this shoulder title. As you can see it is maker marked 'R.J. Inglis Limited', a Canadian manufacturer of badges, and has the letter 'R' stamped on the reverse, the meaning of which is also lost on me. I also have one in my collection, also by Inglis, but without the embossed 'R'.

I have searched everywhere I can think of including my limited reference library, but without any luck. However, I am fairly certain it was not produced for wear by Canadian troops.

So, can anyone confirm who wore it, and when?

PS I know this shoulder title has been the subject of a previous thread, but that failed to produce anything concrete. Here's hoping a refresh will provide the information I am looking for.

Thanks for looking,

Lovat
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Imperial Army - Mtd Shoulder title.jpg (21.4 KB, 22 views)
File Type: jpg Imperial Army - Mtd Shoulder title (Reverse).jpg (18.8 KB, 16 views)
Old 11-08-22, 01:27 PM
Super Moderator

Hi Lovat. Best I have been able to get is Motor Transport Depot / Department.
I am not sure if this was for a Canadian "component" of the Imperial Army or for Canadians who went overseas to work in the unit.
Old 11-08-22, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill A View Post
Hi Lovat. Best I have been able to get is Motor Transport Depot / Department.
I am not sure if this was for a Canadian "component" of the Imperial Army or for Canadians who went overseas to work in the unit.
Hi Bill, thanks for your thoughts. It's a bit strange that it doesn't appear in any literature, nor does Google provide any leads. I have also posted on another Forum to see whether anyone there can shed any light. However, and despite the ST being manufactured by Inglis, I have reservations about its use by any Canadian "component"; and there's still the question as to when it would have been worn. Far more questions than answers Regards, Lovat