British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Common Forums > New Member Introduction Zone

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 22-09-15, 08:39 PM

Default The Poppyman

Hello everyone,
I've been browsing through the forum for the first time and I'm a bit bewildered by a lot of the jargon, so I hope I'm doing this right! I tried to join some time ago at Andy Plewa's suggestion, but messed up the process. However, with the help of Ivan (and Mike, I think) I have now managed to register - obviously!
I have been collecting military badges, on and off, for almost 60 years - but I still have a lot to learn. I hope to be able to contribute where I can, but I also have lots of questions to ask. My particular interest is in Yorkshire regiments, but primarily The East Yorkshire Regiment and Yeomanry. Anyway, I'm looking forward to making contact with anyone who cares to respond - and some interesting discussions. Kindest regards to all, Gordon.
Old 22-09-15, 08:57 PM
Super Moderator

Welcome Thepoppyman. Your first couple of posts are moderated to protect from spammers and bots.
Enjoy the Forum. Lots to see and read.
Old 22-09-15, 09:10 PM

Welcome Aboard Gordon ... Fill your boots !
Old 22-09-15, 09:25 PM

Hi Gordon and welcome. Its nice to see another collector to Yorkshire Regiments. Currently living in Beverley so East Yorkshire is my home county though have travelled the world! Brought up in West Yorkshire, Lived in Scarborough for 5 years and a short time in South Yorks so have been to the 4 corners of the world (thats according to a Tyke anyway!).
Friendly bunch here with a great depth of knowledge and most are willing to help or give an opinion.
kind regards, Dave

PS, if you have a look through some of the albums you might see some nice East Yorks badges. There are many others but here is one i put together for Volunteers of Yorks with a couple of nice East Yorks badges shown.
http://www.britishbadgeforum.com/for...hp?albumid=507
Old 22-09-15, 10:08 PM

Default Hello Deejayuu

Thank you for getting in touch. I have just had a look at the badges on the link you sent - and they're stunning. There is stuff there I didn't even know existed, and looking through them has already answered a couple of questions that have been bothering me for years - so I'm very grateful!
I live near Stamford Bridge, about 8 miles east of York, so we're practically neighbours. My wife was born in the next parish and I have strong family links to both East and West Yorkshire. I was born in the county and have never lived anywhere else.
May I ask; are the badges in the album yours and do you ever clean them?
Best regards,
Gordon.
Old 23-09-15, 07:06 AM

Welcome Gordon, nice to see you posting and am glad your titles proved to be good (I was a bit worried for a while)!

There's plenty of Yorkshire stuff on here and its worth having a look through the albums sections. The general principle on here is 'ask and someone will answer' so don't be shy!

Ivan
Old 23-09-15, 03:26 PM

Welcome to the Forum.
Andy
Old 23-09-15, 08:46 PM

Hello Ivan and Andy,
Thank you both for your greetings. I already feel that I'm among friends. I'm looking forward to getting involved, so here's a general question. At the end of last year, I bought a white metal helmet plate of the 1st North York Rifle Volunteers - so it must be about 150years old. However, the front is almost the colour of bronze! I would like to show you a photo, but I don't know how to do that yet. Anyway, this patina has obviously taken a long time to develop, but really the badge should be silvery. So, do I clean it - and if so what is the best method - or do I leave it alone?
Old 23-09-15, 09:10 PM

Ah, the old cleaning question, I ask this myself quite often.

I find the views of forum members vary but for me, if its silver and is BADLY tarnished a quick polish brings it to life. If its gilt and it very dirty, clean the gilt.

I wouldn't ever clean gilding metal badges (unless its to get rid of verdigris).

If you use the search function and key words such as cleaning, you will see lots of threads about the pros and cons of cleaning.

As for posting pictures, when you reply to a post, you will see a little 'paper clip' icon. Click on this and a box will come up that says 'manage attachments' with a box that says 'upload files from your computer-browse'. Click on this to find the location of your picture on your computer/memory stick or camera card, select the picture you want and then press upload.

I think that's right but there's plenty of people here to help!

Ivan
Old 24-09-15, 07:58 PM

Thanks, Ivan.

I will try uploading some pictures later because I would like an opinion on a pair of Leeds Pals shoulder titles that I'm dubious about. As to the cleaning question, I tend to agree with what you've said. The value of a patina on bronze, copper and brass is that it tends to confirm age and I don't think it can be reproduced. In the case of the badge I was referring to, however, I don't think there can be any doubt about its age or authenticity - so a gentle cleaning of the front only would be of no detriment. Thanks again, Gordon.
Old 29-04-22, 05:30 PM

Hi Gordon welcome to the Forum, Again! Will send over my Email.

Regards cleaning off your badge, as you already know it ought to be White-metal Silver in colour, try using a soft tooth brush and soap onto the brush and warm water, or Fairy Liquid, the Brown residue (Patina) could be from Cigarette smokers or someone has polished the badge and perhaps put on a light coating of varnish or Hairspray (this one doesn’t show up as brush-strokes but the Varnish will). Try the rear first!

All the best Billy