British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > South African Military and Police Insignia > Army

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 12-02-14, 06:21 AM

Hi Iain, it is the only one I have seen. I know of another one in Canada. Regards Andrew
Old 12-02-14, 08:20 AM

Hello Iain,
As Andrew has already shown the DFH plate, I need not show mine, so here is the badge.
Regards Frank
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1020365.jpg (55.6 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg P1020366.jpg (56.8 KB, 6 views)
Old 12-02-14, 09:50 AM

Hello Iain,
The Victorian, looped, Jewelled, Indian crown, call it what you like, was used quite a lot throughout the period in question here and many wore it, including the horse's of the Diamond Fields Horse.
In fact, from memory, I think the Natal Carbineer's also wore it!
Regards Frank

Quote:
Originally Posted by iaindh View Post
Hi Andrew,

these are 3 very nice badges you have here. What's the significance of the coronet on the DFH? It looks a little like the one on the "Dukes."

regards, Iain
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1020367.jpg (49.7 KB, 28 views)
Old 12-02-14, 10:55 AM

Hi Frank, that is a beaut. If it needs a new home, please let me know . Have a grand day. Andrew
Old 12-02-14, 10:57 AM

Hello Andrew,
It's not I can assure you, I think it was worn by a rather "rough" horse!
Regards Frank
Old 12-02-14, 01:21 PM

Hi Frank,

no, not the same as the NC, the DFH crown has more loops if that is the correct terminology.

After a quick stroll through Owen's, the only other one like it is the CMR.
Unless the others are poor depictions?

I will say the normal QV crown has sharp angles at the top.

regards, Iain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Kelley View Post
Hello Iain,
The Victorian, looped, Jewelled, Indian crown, call it what you like, was used quite a lot throughout the period in question here and many wore it, including the horse's of the Diamond Fields Horse.
In fact, from memory, I think the Natal Carbineer's also wore it!
Regards Frank
Old 12-02-14, 01:58 PM

Hello Iain,
The looped crowns may differ in small detail, but, they still represent, the same looped crown, i.e. not the normal QV crown.
It is not a normal Victorian crown and you should not be comparing the two, they are completely differant, it was used by the Natal Carbineer's on some of their accoutrements and furniture in Queen Victoria's day, moreover, I think it is very important to remember that just because items cannot be found in Colin Owen's book, it does not mean that they did not exist.
Regards Frank

Quote:
Hi Frank,

no, not the same as the NC, the DFH crown has more loops if that is the correct terminology.

After a quick stroll through Owen's, the only other one like it is the CMR.
Unless the others are poor depictions?

I will say the normal QV crown has sharp angles at the top.

regards, Iain

Last edited by Frank Kelley; 12-02-14 at 02:15 PM.
Old 12-02-14, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Hello Andrew,
It's not I can assure you, I think it was worn by a rather "rough" horse!
Regards Frank
Well in that case, I am always happy to buy "scrap metal"
Old 12-02-14, 05:04 PM

Hi Frank,

I'll take your word that they are the same crown because the outline is the same and I dont think the proverbial blind man on a galloping horse would notice the difference

I think you also misinterpreted my previous post as I wasn't comparing the normal QV crown but pointing out the difference. I consider it unlikely that there were 3 crowns.

Sorry Frank and forgive me but this cracks me up, it still looks more like the DOEOR Ducal crown than the NC QVC crown.

Kind regards and apologies, Iain

Quote:
Hello Iain,
The looped crowns may differ in small detail, but, they still represent, the same looped crown, i.e. not the normal QV crown.
It is not a normal Victorian crown and you should not be comparing the two, they are completely differant, it was used by the Natal Carbineer's on some of their accoutrements and furniture in Queen Victoria's day, moreover, I think it is very important to remember that just because items cannot be found in Colin Owen's book, it does not mean that they did not exist.
Regards Frank

Last edited by iaindh; 13-02-14 at 12:55 AM.
Old 12-02-14, 06:21 PM

The crown looks more like the Dutch or Belgian royal crown. The British crown has only two arches (one front-to-back and one side-to-side) and the circlet is decorated with alternating crosses and fleurs de lis. This crown has four arches (i.e. two diagonal ones as well) and the circlet is decorated with stylised leaves. Perhaps someone in Kimberley got confused! They're still handsome badges all the same.

Arthur
Old 13-02-14, 02:06 AM

As I mentioned earlier, CMR 162 in Owen's is exactly the same crown.
The arches on the QVC are also straight whereas those on the DFH and CMR have cutaway detail.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthur R View Post
The crown looks more like the Dutch or Belgian royal crown. The British crown has only two arches (one front-to-back and one side-to-side) and the circlet is decorated with alternating crosses and fleurs de lis. This crown has four arches (i.e. two diagonal ones as well) and the circlet is decorated with stylised leaves. Perhaps someone in Kimberley got confused! They're still handsome badges all the same.
Old 13-02-14, 09:11 AM

Hello Iain,
In Owen, 162, 176, 178, 182, 183, 184 and 185, they ALL REPRESENT THE SAME LOOPED CROWN, when Queen Victoria died, that crown was replaced by the the crown on 187 etc!
177 and 180 are differant, they are much more of a guelphic style crown, less Indian and more German!
Regards Frank

Quote:
As I mentioned earlier, CMR 162 in Owen's is exactly the same crown.
The arches on the QVC are also straight whereas those on the DFH and CMR have cutaway detail.
Old 13-02-14, 09:31 AM

Hello Arthur,
The crown represents Queen Victoria, it is Indian in appearance and has "loops" of pearls, the DFH knew exactly what it wanted when it came to badges and helmet plates, they were all made in Great Britain.
There was no confusion in cavalry depot at Canterbury either, the Queens own 7th Hussars, who famously wore this crown until Queen Victoria died in 1902, it was then replaced, as was the case with the DFH!
Kind regards Frank

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthur R View Post
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1020369.jpg (50.1 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg P1020370.jpg (49.7 KB, 7 views)
Old 13-02-14, 10:59 AM

Hi Frank,

The badges you quoted "In Owen, 162, 176, 178, 182, 183, 184 and 185, they ALL REPRESENT THE SAME LOOPED CROWN" are already accepted as being the same crown but are you are saying there were 3 types of QV crown,
1. examples 162 CMR, 176 etc DFH,
2. then example 191 VR or 354 NC,
3 example 416 DLI.

I shan't include 187, KC as that will just confuse the issue.

regard, Iain

Quote:
Hello Iain,
In Owen, 162, 176, 178, 182, 183, 184 and 185, they ALL REPRESENT THE SAME LOOPED CROWN, when Queen Victoria died, that crown was replaced by the the crown on 187 etc!
177 and 180 are differant, they are much more of a guelphic style crown, less Indian and more German!
Regards Frank
Old 13-02-14, 11:23 AM

Hello Iain,
I am saying that the looped crown as used by the DFH and others represents Queen Victoria during her reign.
The Queen certainly had three crowns, but, did not like wearing them and liked only wearing the small one she designed herself!
When it comes to badges you are quite right, with the three styles of crown that were used in the period in question here, don't forget that the DFH could have ordered whatsoever they happened to like after seeing what was on offer in the pattern books in terms of crowns.
Regards Frank

Quote:
Hi Frank,

The badges you quoted "In Owen, 162, 176, 178, 182, 183, 184 and 185, they ALL REPRESENT THE SAME LOOPED CROWN" are already accepted as being the same crown but are you are saying there were 3 types of QV crown,
1. examples 162 CMR, 176 etc DFH,
2. then example 191 VR or 354 NC,
3 example 416 DLI.

I shan't include 187, KC as that will just confuse the issue.

regard, Iain