British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Everything Else > Other Militaria

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 09-05-22, 05:48 PM

Default Edward VIII Artillery Officer's Sword

We have recieved a rather tatty gunner officer's (I think) sword with an Edward VIII monogram on it through the family.

This makes rough sense as my wife's grandfather was a (territorial) gunner officer throughout the late unpleasantness. I know his service number and have found the Gazette enties for his MC, MiD and post-war retirement but cannot find when he was commissioned. We have his medals, miniatures and SD jacket so this is an addded bonus but I'm wondering whether to get it cleaned up (and if so how and by who) and/or insured?

Any suggestions?
Old 09-05-22, 06:08 PM

Its virtually impossible to restore a sword without ruining it, especially if you use a polishing wheel. They just look worn and over polished and if the grips damaged then its hundreds of pounds for a new grip and wires made professionally.

Because of its condition and the fact its a RA pattern rather than a more 'collectible' Regiment (as swords go), and despite the EDVIII cypher, its of relatively low value and would be covered quite easily by your household contents insurance if you wanted it insured, but in reality its probably worth less than your mobile phone.

regards

Manchester Regiment Collector
Rank, Prize & Trade Badges
British & Commonwealth Artillery Badges
Old 09-05-22, 06:15 PM

Thanks Simon, the grip and wires look okay to me, albeit the fish skin slightly faded and the wires tarnished...
Old 09-05-22, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royal View Post
We have recieved a rather tatty gunner officer's (I think) sword with an Edward VIII monogram on it through the family.

This makes rough sense as my wife's grandfather was a (territorial) gunner officer throughout the late unpleasantness. I know his service number and have found the Gazette enties for his MC, MiD and post-war retirement but cannot find when he was commissioned. We have his medals, miniatures and SD jacket so this is an addded bonus but I'm wondering whether to get it cleaned up (and if so how and by who) and/or insured?

Any suggestions?
As a rule an officer's first entry in the London Gazette regarding his commission gives his full name but not his service number. Subsequent entries regarding promotions only give his initials and service number. The date of his first commision can also be found in the appropriate Army List.
Old 10-05-22, 02:08 PM

Many thanks.

Another question I'm afraid. We also have a 1943 dated BD blouse with ribbons for MC, 39-45 Star, Africa Star with 8th Army clasp and Italy Star but not France & Germany Star, Defence Medal or War Medal/MiD. When were the last three issued and does anyone have any idea why the others would not have been added?
Old 10-05-22, 03:00 PM

You only got the France & Germany Star if you served 'In Theater'

Not everyone got the Defence Medal unless you served 'at home'

The War Medal 1939–1945 was awarded to all full time service personnel of the Armed Forces wherever their service during the war was rendered. So he should have it.

The MID oak leaf is normally attached and worn on the appropriate campaign medal ribbon if at all.
Normally it is not worn if you receive a Gallantry Medal for the same action (i.e. his MC) as you wear the higher award.
a officers/soldier's name must be mentioned in dispatches as a condition for receiving certain decorations...
I am open to criticism if I am wrong on the MiD

Wanted Poppy Pins

Last edited by Mike_2817; 10-05-22 at 03:09 PM.
Old 10-05-22, 04:51 PM

Ww2 groups should have the MID leaf only on the War medal and only one no matter how many times awarded. If at that time no ribbons or only the Africa Star (example) was worn, then the leaf is worn directly on the tunic and not on the ribbon. All general service medals awarded before and after Ww2 would carry the emblem on the medal the MID was awarded. Hope that makes sense.
Old 11-05-22, 08:53 AM

Sorry, let me be clearer.

The MiD and MC were different awards. The MC an "immediate" at Anzio, the MiD in Germany (for a very similar action - he was an RA FOO). I have the Gazette entries for both as well as the letter from Buck House lamenting that the MC could not be presented in person.

He got the France and Germany Star (I have the full size and miniature versions as part of his complete medal sets) and that is where he got the MiD (in early 1945). He also go the Defence Medal (which again, I have) - I had to do some research on this, but think he qualifed due to his time in the UK pre & post Dunkirk (where he was involved in the evacuation) as well as in Iraq (pre-North Africa with 8th Army).

Just wondering why the latter 3 medal ribbons are not represented on the BD blouse. I guess it could be as simple as it was worn in theatre in 1944-45 before the France and Germany, Defence Medal and War Medal were issued - but I thought that only gallantry medals and the Africa/Italy campaign medals had been issued at that point and not the 39/45 Star...

There is also no obvious sign that formation badges have been removed - and there are none attached. A 1945 dated caricature that I have of him clearly shows a 'desert rat' on one shoulder - but it also looks like he's wearing an SD jacket, breeches and riding boots so it may be less than reliable as a historic record!
Old 11-05-22, 04:29 PM

The 1939-45 star was originally designated 1939-43 and the ribbon was issued around this time as was the Africa star all other ribbons for stars were issued after 1945 l think.
Old 12-05-22, 09:31 AM

Every day's a schoolday. Many thanks!

The BD blouse/jacket would suggest Italy Star was also issued in 1944, is that right?