British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > General Topics.

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 13-11-08, 04:21 AM

Default Suggested Identification Competition

Would anybody be interested in entering a competition to identify the contents of various boards of badges/shoulder titles/buttons which I would be prepared to post on a regular basis.

I have over 50 boards similar to the one that I have attached.

Each board contains items which would range from the very collectible to the common garden variety ranging from the Victorian era to the late 1960s.

It is not as if this post should be in the requests for identification forum as that is not the purpose of this suggestion as I am fully aware of the identify of most (if not all) items that I can display.

It is really a matter of how many badges (rare or common) that knowledgeable members can identify.

What may be a little tricky is that most boards contain a mixture of British, Australian, Canadian and New Zealand items - including the occasional foreign one.

To see if there is any interest I attach one of my boards of shoulder titles.

Does anyone want to have a go?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Metal_Titles_A.jpg (80.9 KB, 149 views)

Last edited by sarmajor; 13-11-08 at 04:39 AM.
Old 13-11-08, 01:32 PM

RCASC:Royal Canadian Service Corps,15/19R: King's Royal Hussars (Br),CPROC:Canadian Provost Corps,RCAMC:Royal Canadian Army Medical Corps, SAR:South Alberta Regiment (Can), LdSH: Lord Strathcona's Horse RC (Can),RCA:Royal Can.Arty, RCE:Royal Can.Engineers, FUSduStL:Fusiliers du St-Laurent (Can), RCOC:Royal Can Ordnance Corps, Border:The Border Regt.(Br), BCD: British Columbia Dragoons Regt., RCCS:Royal Can. Corps of Signal, L&W: Lincoln and Welland Regt.(Can),RM:Royal Marines, St.J.F.:St-John Fusiliers (Can), Essex Scottish:Essex Scottish Regt (Can).,VI Hussars:VI Duke of Connaught's Royal Canadian Hussars (Can), Sask.Horse:16th/22nd Saskatchewan Horse. C.O.T.C.:Can.Officers Training Corps.
RAA:Royal Australian Arty, AASC:Aust. Army Service Corps, AAMC:Aust. Army Medical Corps, AFA: Aust. Field Arty.,NZR: NZ Regiment, RHA: Royal Horse Arty.,AGA: Aust. Garrison Arty.
VR:RAF Volunteer Reserve. INF:Infantry(poss. Canadian).
US:US Army Off. collars badges.

How did I do?
Jo

“There are things we know that we know,” “There are known unknowns. That is to say there are things that we now know we don't know. But there are also unknown unknowns. There are things we do not know we don't know.”
Donald Rumsfeld, before the Iraqi Invasion,2003.

Age is something that doesn't matter, unless you are a cheese.

Last edited by Voltigeur; 13-11-08 at 04:02 PM.
Old 13-11-08, 02:24 PM
Super Moderator

What's the prize? Do we get the board of shoulder titles?
Old 13-11-08, 05:47 PM

I think there should be two entrant categories though:

1) Voltigeur

2) everyone else

Old 13-11-08, 05:59 PM

Hey David,
1) I was, probably the first one to see the post and answer it.
2) Waaaaaaay too easy. Most were canadian titles from the 50's and 60's. As for the rest,knowing that sarmajor is from Australia, I deducted he would put a few aussie ones in the lot.
Jo

“There are things we know that we know,” “There are known unknowns. That is to say there are things that we now know we don't know. But there are also unknown unknowns. There are things we do not know we don't know.”
Donald Rumsfeld, before the Iraqi Invasion,2003.

Age is something that doesn't matter, unless you are a cheese.
Old 13-11-08, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidS View Post
I think there should be two entrant categories though:

1) Voltigeur

2) everyone else

hi david
i agree. and he admits he never sleeps? sits on the computer waiting for new posts. bit unfair LOL.
and a competiton implies a prize at the end?
bc
Old 14-11-08, 03:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voltigeur View Post
RCASC:Royal Canadian Service Corps,15/19R: King's Royal Hussars (Br),CPROC:Canadian Provost Corps,RCAMC:Royal Canadian Army Medical Corps, SAR:South Alberta Regiment (Can), LdSH: Lord Strathcona's Horse RC (Can),RCA:Royal Can.Arty, RCE:Royal Can.Engineers, FUSduStL:Fusiliers du St-Laurent (Can), RCOC:Royal Can Ordnance Corps, Border:The Border Regt.(Br), BCD: British Columbia Dragoons Regt., RCCS:Royal Can. Corps of Signal, L&W: Lincoln and Welland Regt.(Can),RM:Royal Marines, St.J.F.:St-John Fusiliers (Can), Essex Scottish:Essex Scottish Regt (Can).,VI Hussars:VI Duke of Connaught's Royal Canadian Hussars (Can), Sask.Horse:16th/22nd Saskatchewan Horse. C.O.T.C.:Can.Officers Training Corps.
RAA:Royal Australian Arty, AASC:Aust. Army Service Corps, AAMC:Aust. Army Medical Corps, AFA: Aust. Field Arty.,NZR: NZ Regiment, RHA: Royal Horse Arty.,AGA: Aust. Garrison Arty.
VR:RAF Volunteer Reserve. INF:Infantry(poss. Canadian).
US:US Army Off. collars badges.

How did I do?
Jo
Unfortunately you failed

You incorrectly identified RCASC as Royal Canadian Service Corps when, in fact, it was worn by the Royal Canadian Army Service Corps and you failed to identify the title Australia as being Australian.

Apart from that very well done. That knowledge of Canadian shoulder titles was a great help.

Is it worth posting similar cards of badges, titles and buttons

I think that the best prize that can be offered for anyone is to be given an opportunity of displaying how much more knowledgeable you are than others
Old 14-11-08, 12:23 PM
Super Moderator

Ah, playing to base human needs! Is there a hidden agenda sarmajor? Getting the forum to id your titles?
I would like to see what else is on your cards. Post on.
Old 14-11-08, 12:29 PM

bring it on sarmajor
bc
Old 20-11-08, 10:39 AM

OK .........here is instalment 2 ........... with buttons

I am sure (positively and absolutely) that nobody will get them all.

I have posted 4 different shots of the same board in the hope that it may make it easier to avoid the shine on some.

To make it a little more difficult one or two of the buttons are not sitting the correct way. They are all attached with one piece of string running through the lugs so I will need to restring them to adjust the few that are upside down.

A lot of the buttons are easy to identify however some, especially the few foreign ones, will really separate the men from the boys

Good luck
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Buttons_A.jpg (70.9 KB, 65 views)
File Type: jpg Buttons_AB.jpg (71.7 KB, 34 views)
File Type: jpg Buttons_AC.jpg (67.6 KB, 27 views)
File Type: jpg Buttons_AD.jpg (69.5 KB, 30 views)
Old 20-11-08, 05:19 PM

Didnt read the last post properly

P.B.

Members welcome in my private Facebook group “The Kings Liverpool Regiment ( 1685-1958 )”

Last edited by Peter Brydon; 20-11-08 at 05:31 PM.
Old 09-08-09, 09:13 AM

Default button boards

I'll have a go if you post them in smaller lots and 2x - 3x their size.
Please supply backmarks for each of them.

Here's row 1 & 2 of the first board:
row 1:
1. cannot see
2. IT: Milizia Volontaria Per La Sicurezza Nazionale
3. Republic Indonesia - navy
3. Dutch general service
4. Royal Corps of Signals
row 2:
1. Alfred Holt's Blue Funnel Line
2. Royal Engineers
3. not enough details
4. British crown issue, QVC
5. navy - not enough details
6. Australian Fire Brigade - stock pattern
Old 09-08-09, 10:01 AM

This may sound daft but!
More than a few years back I was informed by Mr King that to reduce the shine he placed his badges in the freezer before photographing them, never needed to try it out so I don't know if he was pulling my leg.
May be a little impracticable for your purpose though,
Regards
WF
Old 09-08-09, 12:39 PM

Default frozen pictures

It would create a thin layer of ice once they are out of the freezer. Soon afterwards it would be moisture.

I am using a good quality flatbed scanner. For a camera one can put cloth between bulbs and object.

Electrolytic corrosion can be a problem with buttons because the various parts can be of different alloys. (Never ever lacquer them). Avoid moisture for those buttons.