British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > General Topics.

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 04-09-08, 10:34 AM

Default Value of repaired badges

Just a question on the value of repaired badges.

I have a number of badges (some common and some quite collectable) that have been given to me with one (or both) lugs bent over.

To date I have not done anything about them however, now that I have found more time to be active, I intend to very, very carefully attempt to straighten them out.

My question is that if, by some unfortunate accident, a lug is broken off, does it significantly reduce the value of that badge - once that lug has been resoldered.

I also have some badges with missing lugs - again some common and others a lot more interesting.

Does soldering on a fresh lug (if it is an exact match for the existing one) significantly effect that badge's value?

I am not asking whether it has a marginal effect on the value of the repaired badge - but has it a significant effect.

Finally should a new lug be soldered or braised?

TIA
Old 04-09-08, 11:09 AM

hi sarmajor
for me, no lugs reduces the price by 75%. missing one lug and repaired badges reduces there value by 25%-75% depending on the scarcity of the badge and if i need that particular item for my own collection
bc
Old 04-09-08, 12:03 PM

My personal feelings are that on a rare badge, it doesn't matter as you won't be able to find another anyway. If it is common, it then becomes almost worthless. Regards Andrew
Old 04-09-08, 03:29 PM
Badge Guru

I dont believe it matters at all and I also believe no badge has a set value. It seams like these days most people make up a price, as there is no such thing as an up to date British or Commonwealth badge price guide.
Old 04-09-08, 04:35 PM

Default Repaired badges

If you look in the Bosley postal catalogue, there are many examples of badges having replacement loops or sliders, for me, if it is an original badge and not a restrike its OK.
Old 04-09-08, 08:34 PM

All my badges are original and some have been repaired. I couldn't care less as i certainly won't be selling them in this life..... and when i'm gone they are going to the Museum as a research tool.
Old 05-09-08, 02:45 PM
Member 2008-16- Rest in Peace

Default value of repaired badges

Hello gentlemen,
Sometimes, my in-experience and to a degree, ignorance, can be a blessing !!
Members are openly offering opinions on the value of badges, repaired or otherwise, surely the owner or buyer will decide the value !!
On a thread recently, other members were almost apoplectic when prices were being bandied about, every single person should be allowed to have an opinion and their opinion should be no-one else's business ( that's my reaction to the other threads ).
The photo's shown, are of three ' genuine ' badges I recently purchased, how much are they worth ? well, I paid £4.20p including P&P so that's how much they are worth.
I will renew the sliders, two will go into my collection until they can be replaced, the third ( E.Surrey ), will be listed on ebay and will sell, for how much, I don't know. When I find undamaged badges to replace the other two, they will then be listed too, the average for an ordinary/common, repaired badge has been £4-£5, so, IMO, it is always worth it !!!!
As I say, it's just my opinion !!
Regards.
Dave.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2198.jpg (99.7 KB, 27 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2199.jpg (98.5 KB, 39 views)
Old 05-09-08, 03:02 PM

It's not just monetary value, there is an historical value too !
Apart from the obvious - such and such a type was made with a slider or with loops there are things like the shape and style of both, for sliders there may be makers marks on them too. A lot can be gained by a study of construction - which has of course been demonstrated by numerous members of this forum.
I have a number of "broken" badges, in fact in my younger days I would prefer broken ones because they cost less ! Nowadays I wouldn't buy one with a missing slider because I'd never know what might have been on a slider. I have two whose original sliders were broken (one by me accidentally) and repaired back on for me (by a kindly gent on this forum). I recently bought a badge with a missing horse's tail but it was a sufficiently scarce type and I'm still pondering what do do with it (in physical terms).
I recently saw some badges at the IWM most of which had their loops and sliders sawn off in early days as it was thought they could be exhibited more easily. Yes, a pity that some information was lost but I learnt a great amount generally because they came from excellent dated provenances and some were rarities anyway.
Old 05-09-08, 04:57 PM
Banned

I speak for CEF badges mainly and replaced or repaired lugs IMO should not be much of a detractor . the value is in the face of the badge . Where both lugs are off yes big dicount unless well remounted.
Now for CEF artillery badges which where 90% folding tang manufactured you will find most in a damaged condition which nowadays is a good sign of authenticity for these much maligned badges and replacement lugs should be welcomed.
as for brazing vers soldering I go with soldering less heat and in fact I choose a good epoxy more now because any heat tends to cause to much damage in the long term.

PAUL
Old 05-09-08, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulbear View Post
I speak for CEF badges mainly and replaced or repaired lugs IMO should not be much of a detractor . the value is in the face of the badge . Where both lugs are off yes big dicount unless well remounted.
Now for CEF artillery badges which where 90% folding tang manufactured you will find most in a damaged condition which nowadays is a good sign of authenticity for these much maligned badges and replacement lugs should be welcomed.
as for brazing vers soldering I go with soldering less heat and in fact I choose a good epoxy more now because any heat tends to cause to much damage in the long term.

PAUL
Thanks Paul

I must admit that I had never thought of epoxy.

Araldite could be quite the thing and probably neater to boot
Old 05-09-08, 11:22 PM

In my opinion, and it has been stated by at least one other here...I concern myself more with the appearence of the front, or face of badge than I do the lugs. As long as the lugs are there, repaired or not, it's not really a huge deal to me. I will however choose a non repaired badge over a repaired one.

Also I would expect to pay just a little less for a relugged badge.

http://www.irishregimentofcanada.ca
Old 06-09-08, 12:29 AM
Member 2008-2010 Rest in Peace

Here Here, Jibba Jabba.
My thoughts exactly, It makes no difference to me, and try knocting down someone's price because a lug is repaired and see how far you'll get. Ray
Old 06-09-08, 01:34 PM

Default Three raisons to have repaired cap badges in my collection...

Hello Folkes,

I have some repaired cap badges in my collection and after some thoughts I think there are three good reasons to get these cap badges in a collection. Obviously like most of you I would prefer getting intact cap badges.

First reason : in some occasions a repaired cap badge becomes an oddity for which you want to pay for getting it. It is the case for this R.C.E.M.E cap badge which is shown here. Obviously it was modified in the field, both lugs were broken off and the Canuk who wore it soldered a slider where he added his amry number on it. I bought this cap badge because it has been modified.

Second reason : You are looking for a scarce cap badge and you have only one opportunity in 15 years to get the item of your dreams. Unfortunatly a lug of the cap badge of your dreams has been broken and crudely repaired... Some will let down the opportunity and will wait for another 15 years... Why not it is a choice!
I did not do that. I bought the cap badge of my dreams and dealed a reduced price. I wanted the lug to be soldered by a professional and paid a small fee for that (10€). It is the case of this North Nova Scotia Highlanders cap badge, a scarce pattern with the "Highlanders" shortened as "High'rs". Now it is hard to detect the difference with the original lug...

Third reason : Some cap badges have been faked in mass and when you have an opportunity to get one original for sure at a reasonable price, you take it even if both lugs have been broken off. It is the case of this WW2 3rd CLY cap badge with both collar badges I got from the same person. One of the collar had been very well repaired in the field. I did the same for the cap badge and both lugs were professionally soldered for 12€.

What will you do with this Winnipeg Rifles cap badge which has both lugs broken off? ( It has a Tiptaft B'ham maker mark). Do you think it worthwhile to be reparead or not? Cheers J-F.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCF2099.jpg (86.0 KB, 35 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF2093.jpg (94.3 KB, 44 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF2096.jpg (81.6 KB, 29 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF2097.jpg (88.5 KB, 28 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF2101.jpg (97.3 KB, 40 views)
Old 06-09-08, 06:04 PM
Banned

I think your Winnipeg badge is a prime candidate for a pin back replacement by a jeweller

PAUL
Old 06-09-08, 09:15 PM

Default Nice RCEME badge!

Rubicon,

I don't blame you for buying the RCEME badge "because" of its repair. A very neat and unusual item. Have you ever tried to trace a name to the service number?

As for repaired badges, as long as it is a neatly done repair and has not defaced the surface of the badge I don't think it affects the price of a more scarce badge.

Bill M.