British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Infantry (& Guards) Badges

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 16-09-08, 09:22 AM

Default Is this Scots Guards badge a fake

I would be grateful if someone familiar with Scots Guards badges could comment on the attached.

As previously mentioned as I have not collected for some 30 years nor ever bought or sold badges and as most of my British badges had been sent to me by either the regiment (to be included in displays) or given to me by ex members of that unit I doubt whether I have any restruck or fake badges in my collection.

However, ever since I acquired the attached badge (can't say when - but over 30 years ago - nor can I recollect where I got it from) I have wondered about its authenticity - as it is so different from the half dozen or so Scots Guards badges (Ors, officers etc) that I have.

It is far 'chunkier' and relatively heavy with a flat star and an attached center piece (attached by two lugs), with the badge made in two pieces with the back section (star) appearing to have been cast as it is flat on the reverse. The badge is made of brass

In addition, the back of the badge is discoloured and looks like it may have been painted grey - as the brass is starting to show through. There is not any makers name on the badge

Have I got at least one fake amongst my collection of many thousands or is there some reason for this badge being 'different'

If it is indeed a fake I have had it for the very minimum of 30 years - and quite possibly for over 50.

TIA
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ScotsGuards.jpg (6.7 KB, 66 views)
File Type: jpg ScotsGuards_Back2.jpg (6.4 KB, 62 views)
Old 16-09-08, 11:00 AM
peter616

hi its not Scots Guards BY POST 1937 Royal Scots

peter
Old 16-09-08, 01:16 PM

Thanks peter

But are you absolutely sure

I have spent quite a bit of time looking on the net for the post 1937 version of the Royal Scots badge - without success.

I have two or three Royal Scots capbadges (I am not sure of their vintage) all of which are somewhat larger however the star (which is not exactly the same in the badge that I have) has St Andrew in the centre - and is branded with the name of The Royal Scots.

My badge is exactly the same design as every other Scots Guards Badge that I have and a search of the net found the attached badge which is an exact copy of the one that I have (being flatter than the struck ones that I have) except that mine is all brass.

Would you mind clarifying further

Thanks
Old 16-09-08, 01:18 PM

Sorry - the photo did not copy in my previous post
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image015.jpg (9.5 KB, 20 views)
Old 16-09-08, 03:25 PM

Peter is quite correct. That is a Royal Scots WO/officer pattern badge.The difference is apparent in the ends of the star on the badges, the RS have sharp even points while that of the SG are cut out and end in a bead. The picture you included in the subsequent post illustrates this difference.

CB
Old 16-09-08, 04:08 PM

Thanks chaps for the info.

I had always, incorrectly, been certain that it was a Scots Guards badge.

My reasons for being uncomfortable with the badge was that, although it appeared to be exact in every detail with the Scots Guards badges that I had, it did not look quite right.

Being from another regiment could certainly explain that.

Can you tell from my attachments whether it looks genuine.

There is not any makers name on the badge and it appears to be made completely of brass.

The back appears to have been silvered but is apparently either worn off in spots - or melted by a reaction to something spilt on it. The front of the badge is brass (or dull gilt) with no trace whatsoever of silver on either of the two parts.

If it is genuine could you give some ball park figure of its possible value - purely for academic purposes

Thanks
Old 16-09-08, 07:01 PM

I just cant discern enough from your pics whether it is OK or not. It almost looks like an OSD badge that has been fooled around with. The dress badge would have been silver and gilt as in the Scots Guards, but I just dont know what to make of that finish as it is now.

CB
Old 16-09-08, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarmajor View Post
Thanks chaps for the info.

I had always, incorrectly, been certain that it was a Scots Guards badge.

My reasons for being uncomfortable with the badge was that, although it appeared to be exact in every detail with the Scots Guards badges that I had, it did not look quite right.

Being from another regiment could certainly explain that.

Can you tell from my attachments whether it looks genuine.

There is not any makers name on the badge and it appears to be made completely of brass.

The back appears to have been silvered but is apparently either worn off in spots - or melted by a reaction to something spilt on it. The front of the badge is brass (or dull gilt) with no trace whatsoever of silver on either of the two parts.

If it is genuine could you give some ball park figure of its possible value - purely for academic purposes

Thanks
It looks as if it could be a belt plate of some kind. These varied a great deal and changed over the years. A subject in themselves.