British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Canadian Military Insignia > Cavalry and Armoured Units

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 14-09-10, 01:30 PM
Super Moderator

Default Cavalry Arm Badges?

Which Canadian cavalry units wore nco arm badges during the Second World War?
Old 14-09-10, 03:13 PM

I have seen photographs of RCD Snr NCOs wearing RCD cap badges as arm badges.

Phil
Old 14-09-10, 07:42 PM

Hi Bill, the BCD Museum in Kelowna has a war-time uniform with a BCD arm badge over 3 stripes on display.

Greg
Old 14-09-10, 08:30 PM
Super Moderator

Thanks Phil. If they used the cap badge, it would face to the rear on one side. Hi Greg, What is the badge that is on the stripes, the cap badge? Any chance of an image?
Old 14-09-10, 08:43 PM

How about the Sgt. on the left,is that what you're looking for Bill ???
Jo
http://www.collectionscanada.gc.ca/d...oviqqavs023t31

“There are things we know that we know,” “There are known unknowns. That is to say there are things that we now know we don't know. But there are also unknown unknowns. There are things we do not know we don't know.”
Donald Rumsfeld, before the Iraqi Invasion,2003.

Age is something that doesn't matter, unless you are a cheese.
Old 14-09-10, 08:47 PM
Super Moderator

Hi Joe, Yes, that is a good illustration of the practice. In reference to my reply to Phil, it is apparent that they did wear the cap badge facing to the rear. And, unless there is some other explanation, it appears that they only wore it on one side, given the lack of badges on the other sgts.
Old 15-09-10, 01:57 PM

Default Sgt. arm badges

Hello: I am I right in presuming that Sgt. arm badges were an indication of confirmation in rank? Also, that the Canadian cavalry regiments were following a tradition established by British cavalry regiments?
Moe.
Old 15-09-10, 02:04 PM
Super Moderator

Hi Moe, The practice was definitely associated with the British army tradition. Your first point may be the explanation, can someone confirm?
Old 15-09-10, 02:04 PM

Speaking for myself, I was told a ions ago by Capt. Vern Murray of the Royal Montreal Regt. that the wearing of the cap badge on the Sgt. chevrons, was indeed, to signify "confirmed in rank" (since all ranks are "acting" until confirmed). Was this a strictly Canadian practice or, was it something taken from British habits.....

Jo

“There are things we know that we know,” “There are known unknowns. That is to say there are things that we now know we don't know. But there are also unknown unknowns. There are things we do not know we don't know.”

Old 15-09-10, 11:59 PM

Default previous thread on this topic

Bill, a while back you had a thread similar to this. Some good reference in those earlier postings.
http://www.britishbadgeforum.com/for...ead.php?t=4545
Old 16-09-10, 12:17 AM

Smile Confirmed rank

I can "confirm" that the practive of wearing a cap or collar badge on the right sleeve chevron denoted a confimed rank.

From the 1 Cdn Armd Carrier Regt, Part I Orders for March 22, 1945:

278. Badges
W.E.F (with effect from) this date, confirmed NCO's of the rank of Sgt. and above will wear a miniature of the regimental cap badge on their right sleeve. Sgts will wear the badge at the base of the "V" formed by the chevron. W.O.s, will wear the badge one inch below the insignia of rank on the left sleeve.
Sqns may obtain badges for NCOs now eligible from the Q.M. Stores.

The "miniatures" issued in the case of the 1CACR were collar badges, Sgts wore the right facing and WOs wore the left facing. Though from some of the veteran memorabilia I've seen it looks like they all might have been issued the pair together and just wore the appropriate facing badge? I have seenthe estates of a couple Sgts now that had a single used right collar and an unused left.

Those veterans who had closer ties to or access to QM stores seem to have had more than a few left over badges as well...
Old 16-09-10, 01:13 AM

Always speaking for myself Bill, a thousand thanks for posting the Part 1 Orders of 22 March 1945, that's a real gem.Going back to the photograph you posted on 15-01-09 of the two GGHG Sgts, one is wearing the badge on the chevrons and the second is not. Does that mean that he is not confirmed in rank (he wears a white service chevron,so an old timer...) or that he's already confirmed and doesn't have to wear the badge ????

Jo

Old 16-09-10, 01:32 AM

Default GGHG Sgts

Hi Jo,

I'll repost the image in question here. This is a detail of a larger photo of the "A" Squadron Sgts. From what can be seen there was only the one Sgt of "confirmed" rank... bu then I can't see all the right sleves either. Anyway, yes the other fellow (right) while by his service chevrons is a longer serving soldier, he is not of confirmed rank (hence no cap badge on his rank chevrons).
Also note the fellow on the right has a wound stripe too.

I don't think time served in the army has any bearing on rise in rank. Attitude and aptitude were deciding factors. As well, men could decline promotion, revert to a lower rank upon request or have rank stripped through punishment, so... who knows. A few vets I've talked too didn't want promotion, i.e.: didn't want the responsibility.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Sgts A Sqn GGHG_late1945.jpg (64.9 KB, 60 views)
Old 16-09-10, 02:07 AM

Thanks Bill for the informations,greatly appreciated.
Cheers
Jo

Old 18-12-10, 04:02 AM

Default Interesting SAR arm badge

While perusing the South Alberta Regt. Veteran's Association website and the photo gallery they have posted, I saw this configuration of arm/rank insignia.

(TQMS) Tank Quartermaster Sergeant Harry Quarton, wearing what looks to me to be the early CAC sleeve badge (tank facing right) on the apex of his rank chevrons!?

Any other TQMS photos similar to this out there? Detail below.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SAR_harry3.JPG (13.1 KB, 52 views)