British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > General Topics.

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 20-09-21, 05:32 PM

A few more.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Military suppliers 014.jpg (41.1 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg Military suppliers 015.jpg (53.9 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg Military suppliers 023.jpg (60.2 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg Military suppliers 035.jpg (58.1 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg Military suppliers 037.jpg (59.0 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg Military suppliers 038.jpg (53.7 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg Military suppliers 041.jpg (62.9 KB, 7 views)
Old 20-09-21, 06:07 PM

From this thread it looks like they marked at least some of their sweetheart badges.

https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/fo...ad.php?t=53158

Perhaps Ron can show us the back if he sees this thread.
Old 20-09-21, 07:05 PM

What are the measurements on the 2 CEF badges please?
Old 21-09-21, 07:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by High Wood View Post
Possibly, but the price list differentiates between Badges and Miniature Brooches.
I noticed the price list , in the "Special Terms to Badge Collectors" area it has badges for 6d. (sixpence) and the "Miniature Brooches" are listed starting at 1/- (one shilling).

A comparative advert for British Legion items has badges/tiepins at 1/- (one shilling) and Bar Pin Brooches at 1/6d (one shilling and sixpence) , these are 'retail' prices to raise funds for branches. The BL advert does not use the term miniature .

Post WW1 a lot of jewellers/badge makers produced Badges/Souvenirs/Trinkets with small/miniature badges or crests attached. The teaspoons had a 'small' version of a badge/crest and the Cigarette Case shown does not appear to have a full size badge on it.

Quote:
Presumably the Identification Discs, Metal Watch Protectors, Button Sticks, Money Belts and Gent's Khaki Socks were all full size.
Sarcasm ?

Poppy and British Legion Wanted
Old 21-09-21, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_vee View Post
I noticed the price list , in the "Special Terms to Badge Collectors" area it has badges for 6d. (sixpence) and the "Miniature Brooches" are listed starting at 1/- (one shilling).

A comparative advert for British Legion items has badges/tiepins at 1/- (one shilling) and Bar Pin Brooches at 1/6d (one shilling and sixpence) , these are 'retail' prices to raise funds for branches. The BL advert does not use the term miniature .

Post WW1 a lot of jewellers/badge makers produced Badges/Souvenirs/Trinkets with small/miniature badges or crests attached. The teaspoons had a 'small' version of a badge/crest and the Cigarette Case shown does not appear to have a full size badge on it.

Sarcasm ?

Absolutely not sarcasm, so no need for confusion. I was attempting to demonstrate that we we should assume that everything is full size unless described as "miniature". The fact that the they themselves have described the brooches as miniature implies, to me at least, that the military badges are full size.

Unfortunately, I only have an old photocopy of the catalogue, which clearly has some pages missing at both ends. There may have been more product specification at the beginning or end of the catalogue.
Old 21-09-21, 09:26 AM

The measurements of the Canadian badges. I believe that both of the badges that I have used to demonstrate size are original C.E.F. collar badges, albeit that one has had the lugs cut off. They are identical in size to a 1916 made Birks maker's marked maple leaf collar badge.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg More Thomson 002.jpg (55.6 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg More Thomson 007.jpg (52.2 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg More Thomson 008.jpg (59.6 KB, 8 views)
Old 21-09-21, 09:32 AM

Would the Canadian collar dog sized badges be manufactured as per the actual badge or as enamelled collar dog sized sweethearts, do you think?
Old 21-09-21, 09:36 AM

I have looked through all my "sweet heart" badges and the majority are not maker's marked. Those that are are all J.R. Gaunt marked. Others are hallmarked or marked Stirling or have a patent applied for mark.

I therefore have no way of knowing if any of my others were made by Wm. L. Thompson, but I do have some that are a near perfect match in size and design. We do not yet know if he marked all his products with his name, but it would probably be only the higher end silver and gold products that were maker's marked.

It would be good if forum members could post examples of William L. Thompson badges.

Here are my Gaunt marked badges and a selection of non marked miniature badges.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg More Thomson 010.jpg (112.5 KB, 26 views)
File Type: jpg More Thomson 012.jpg (118.0 KB, 41 views)

Last edited by High Wood; 23-09-21 at 07:53 AM.
Old 21-09-21, 09:44 AM

Clearly William L. Thomson was not the only producer of unmarked miniature badges and none of the few that I have may have been made by his firm. We also do not know if the badges illustrated in the catalogue are shown full size and more importantly, they are artist's representations of his products and not the actual manufactured badges.

That said, the illustrations are remarkably similar in size to actual miniature badges.

The Royal Warwickshire Regiment is a good match size wise but probably not a Thompson product.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg More Thomson 015.jpg (60.3 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg More Thomson 016.jpg (63.2 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg More Thomson 017.jpg (62.2 KB, 12 views)
Old 21-09-21, 09:47 AM

The South Staffordshire Regiment badge is clearly a different design but the Somerset Light Infantry is almost identical apart from the battle honours.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg More Thomson 018.jpg (61.6 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg More Thomson 019.jpg (55.7 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg More Thomson 020.jpg (78.7 KB, 12 views)
Old 21-09-21, 09:53 AM

My K.R.R.C. is clearly not a Thomson product but the 21st County of London is a good match.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg More Thomson 021.jpg (89.3 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg More Thomson 025.jpg (58.7 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg More Thomson 026.jpg (84.1 KB, 11 views)
Old 21-09-21, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Absolutely not sarcasm, so no need for confusion. I was attempting to demonstrate that we we should assume that everything is full size unless described as "miniature". The fact that the they themselves have described the brooches as miniature implies, to me at least, that the military badges are full size.

Unfortunately, I only have an old photocopy of the catalogue, which clearly has some pages missing at both ends. There may have been more product specification at the beginning or end of the catalogue.
I posted before morning coffee !

After seeing a few adverts from that era not all 'sweetheart' brooches were described as miniature , this one has the comment :

Quote:
Illustration shows actual size of brooches
I assumed , as they would have small/miniature badges for brooches/spoons etc that they could supply 'badge collectors' with a 'complete set' of these , rather than full size badges.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Brooches.jpg (86.5 KB, 37 views)

Poppy and British Legion Wanted
Old 21-09-21, 10:05 AM

Devonshire Regiment, Norfolk Regiment, Hampshire Cyclist Battalion, (two types).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg More Thomson 027.jpg (54.3 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg More Thomson 028.jpg (75.6 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg More Thomson 024.jpg (58.3 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg More Thomson 032.jpg (54.4 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg More Thomson 033.jpg (76.8 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg More Thomson 034.jpg (47.4 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg More Thomson 039.jpg (64.9 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg More Thomson 040.jpg (83.8 KB, 7 views)
Old 21-09-21, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leigh kitchen View Post
Would the Canadian collar dog sized badges be manufactured as per the actual badge or as enamelled collar dog sized sweethearts, do you think?
Very difficult to say without seeing a proven (maker's marked) example. Unless Tomson's had a contract to supply the C.E.F. and made sweet hearts from the same die as a sideline, I cannot see why they would fit lugs to them.

Canadian made collar badges and shoulder titles were generally maker's marked and dated, at least those made in 1914, 1915 and 1916 were. I don't think that I have a later dated example.

I do not think that the same sized collar badges with lugs that I have posted were made by Tomson's.

It is interesting to note that none of my other sweet heart badges have lugs whoever made them.

Last edited by High Wood; 23-09-21 at 07:55 AM.
Old 23-09-21, 07:48 AM

I'd always assumed that any badge with a buttonhole fixing was probably an OCA badge - now I know differently. Also were there any Gurkha or Indian badges in the catalogue ? Tim