British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Common Forums > It's a Mystery -Unknown Insignia for Identification

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 17-09-21, 06:25 PM

Default Unidentified insignia

Hello. I hope somebody might be able to assist. Can you identify any of the insignia on the two attached photographs? Also, roughly what era do you think these photographs would be from? WW1, or earlier? Unfortunately, I have no details to enable me to identify the soldiers. Thank you.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg img972a.jpg (67.6 KB, 103 views)
File Type: jpg img974a.jpg (65.1 KB, 83 views)
Old 17-09-21, 06:45 PM

Possibly Middlesex Regiment collar badge worn in first image, possibly Royal Fusiliers or Northumberland Fusiliers in The Second.
Old 17-09-21, 07:19 PM

2nd one i think is Nortumberland Fus .
1st if it was Middlesex,wouldnt the helmet flash be the maroon/yellow halved diamond ?
Old 17-09-21, 07:21 PM

The first one looks like Durham Light Infantry and the second one Northumberland Fusiliers. It also appears to be the same man in both photos.
Old 17-09-21, 07:34 PM

I can't see a DLI collar badge, I'd go for NF rather than RF, the two photos do appear to be of the same man, I can't make out the pagri flash....
The coloured top fold of the pagri would conform with the NF's red fold but collar badge and flash don't.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screenshot_20210917-202356_Chrome~2.jpg (8.0 KB, 9 views)
Old 17-09-21, 11:03 PM

They are DLI and NF. The collar badges are those of the DLI and the flash is dark green with red DLI, which cannot be made out in old black and white.
I can just make out the NF and grenade on the shoulder straps and the shape of the flames on the collars are correct for NF. The coloring of the facings is either incorrect or has changed over time.

CB
Old 18-09-21, 05:04 AM

Dark green hose tops in image 1?

Obvious grenades on the shoulder straps in image 2 but I can't see a definite "NF" rather "RF" although I'd agree he's NF.
Unsurprising that the facings would be shown in an incorrect shade of green rather than gosling (or are they shown as dark blue?)
Old 19-09-21, 12:57 AM

Dark green hose tops would be appropriate to the DLI. I would also guess that the cheap colorization would not be able to duplicate anything like gosling green, thus the wrong color.

CB
Old 19-09-21, 08:22 AM

Perhaps of interest is that the Northumberland Fusiliers and the Durham Light Infantry both had their depots at Fenham Barracks, Newcastle Upon Tyne from 1884 to 1939.

If it is the same man in both pictures perhaps he served in both regiments at some point?

Tim
Old 19-09-21, 10:39 AM

I very much appreciate everybody's assistance with identifying the insignia of these two photographs. Interestingly, the late mother of the individual I received the photographs from was born and raised in County Durham, which obviously fits with the insignia being that of the Northumberland Fusiliers and the Durham Light Infantry.

Would anybody be able to approximately date the two photographs? Would the coloured photograph be pre-WW1?

Also, on the back of the black-and-white DLI photograph are the words 'PHOTO BATTAGLI[A]', stamped in blue (see attached). Would this locate the photograph to Italy?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg img973a.jpg (55.6 KB, 8 views)
Old 19-09-21, 12:04 PM
Super Moderator

The red tunic was withdrawn in 1914 so is pre WW1.

The second one looks WW1 but could be inter war.