British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Infantry (& Guards) Badges

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 06-09-21, 06:22 PM

Default Middlesex Regiment - Home Counties OSD

A bit of help needed please guys.

I’m trying to work out whether officers in the Middlesex Regiment wore this style of collar badge in the Home Counties brigade (along with the silver plated Home Counties cap badge), or whether they wore a silver plated version of the OR’s collar badge?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg B35CDCFB-8623-4A59-B4D3-EA93B103340F.jpg (94.9 KB, 36 views)
Old 06-09-21, 09:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajc347 View Post
A bit of help needed please guys.

I’m trying to work out whether officers in the Middlesex Regiment wore this style of collar badge in the Home Counties brigade (along with the silver plated Home Counties cap badge), or whether they wore a silver plated version of the OR’s collar badge?
According to Churchill ,it was a silver plated ORs collar badge.
Old 06-09-21, 09:36 PM

That's really helpful - thanks Mike.
Old 06-09-21, 09:43 PM

If i had HM silver collars id be loathed to stop wearing them. Again from Churchill,theres a number of Officers collar so i wouldnt be suprised if various different ones were worn.

The Somerset Light Infantry TA also had various patterns of collar badge at this time,including a pattern that was a silver plated version on an ORs collar,although they did have different fittings.
Old 06-09-21, 10:10 PM

That's interesting to know - thanks Mike.

I would agree that I would also be loathe to stop wearing a silver badge and move to a lesser version. I can imagine it must have been a wrench for some when cheaper gilt and silver badges started to replace them, especially if they were hallmarked.

I can imagine that the wrench for OR's wouldn't have been as great, though, especially given the benefit of no longer having to polish a badge.

I'm still awaiting delivery of Churchill's book and am having to rely upon Churchill and Westlake's book as my primary source currently. It's meant to be a Christmas present, but I suspect that I may have to negotiate a way around trying to access it much earlier than that.
Old 06-09-21, 10:16 PM

Its a great piece of work. Its a shame that the period doesnt extend beyond the brigade period.