British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Common Forums > Reproductions, Restrikes, Fakes, Forgeries, and Copies

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 29-10-18, 09:02 AM

Default Help with fakes/genuine

Hi all

I'd appreciate your knowledge in ascertaining which of these badges are original and genuine, as opposed to "fakes".

https://photos.app.goo.gl/fzH3C5yaSaZobUtB9

Regards

Ellis
Old 29-10-18, 09:26 AM

hey ellis
i will give you a few i think are ok. im sure there are more but will leave them up to the true experts
Dorsetshire
The Border Rgt
Devonshire Rgt
ASC
RAOC (kings crown)

cheers
bc
Old 29-10-18, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by badgecollector View Post
hey ellis
i will give you a few i think are ok. im sure there are more but will leave them up to the true experts
Dorsetshire
The Border Rgt
Devonshire Rgt
ASC
RAOC (kings crown)

cheers
bc
Cheers, thanks for that. Will wait to hear what others have to say
Old 29-10-18, 03:37 PM

Norfolk Regiment and Machine Gun Corps are fine. The Small Royal Norfolk (Britannia on her own) is a fake. The lower portion of her jaw is missing which is a common indicator. Your Cambridgeshire Regiment is fine and looks to be manufactured by Lambourne, but the makers mark on the shank is not that clear.
Old 29-10-18, 04:10 PM

The Middlesex Regt and Rifle Brigade look good also

Gerard
Old 30-10-18, 09:00 AM

Cool Fakes

The all G/M Worcestershire Hussars with the "ENGLAND" slider is a fake.

Rob
Old 30-10-18, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nozzer View Post
Norfolk Regiment and Machine Gun Corps are fine. The Small Royal Norfolk (Britannia on her own) is a fake. The lower portion of her jaw is missing which is a common indicator. Your Cambridgeshire Regiment is fine and looks to be manufactured by Lambourne, but the makers mark on the shank is not that clear.
Thank you Nozzer, much appreciated
Old 30-10-18, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gb64 View Post
The Middlesex Regt and Rifle Brigade look good also

Gerard
Thank you Gerard, much appreciated
Old 30-10-18, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonofacqms View Post
The all G/M Worcestershire Hussars with the "ENGLAND" slider is a fake.

Rob
Thank you Rob, good to know. Can you tell me how you deduce this?
Old 30-10-18, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellisg1955 View Post
Thank you Rob, good to know. Can you tell me how you deduce this?
besides the badge being wrong, the slider with England is wrong
bc
Old 30-10-18, 10:27 AM
Super Moderator

The England mark was used in the 1970s often with those distinctively shaped lozenge sliders. I have been told by a well known dealer that they are contemporary to WW2 and 'NAAFI' badges but this is a big fat fib to justify selling them as genuine.

These sliders were recorded as fakes in the 1970's by Laurie Archer whose notes are available on this forum.

The dies themselves are very likely to be original ones that were re-used to make restrikes.

There are about a half of the badges that are copies including the Worcs Hussars, Westmoreland yeo, 3rd Kings Own Hussars, Paddington Rifles, Royal Hampshires, Cyclist Corps, Royal Norfolks, Connaught Rangers, Hereford LI, Oxford UOTC cavalry section, 21st lancers, 9th lancers - (hate the bars), Loyal Suffolk Hussars, 14th Bn YCV Shamrock.

If they were mine then I would not sell these as original either: South Staffs, CCG, London Irish, Bi-metal Worcs Hussars, SASC, Royal Guernsey, 16th Lancers, Scots Greys (looks modern), 12th Lancers (looks modern) 3rd Carbineers (looks modern), Leicestershire, Beds Yeomanry eagle,

Alan

Last edited by Alan O; 30-10-18 at 10:38 AM.
Old 30-10-18, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan O View Post
The England mark was used in the 1970s often with those distinctively shaped lozenge sliders. I have been told by a well known dealer that they are contemporary to WW2 and 'NAAFI' badges but this is a big fat fib to justify selling them as genuine.

These sliders were recorded as fakes in the 1970's by Laurie Archer whose notes are available on this forum.

The dies themselves are very likely to be original ones that were re-used to make restrikes.

There are about a half of the badges that are copies including the Worcs Hussars, Westmoreland yeo, 3rd Kings Own Hussars, Paddington Rifles, Royal Hampshires, Cyclist Corps, Royal Norfolks, Connaught Rangers, Hereford LI, Oxford UOTC cavalry section, 21st lancers, 9th lancers - (hate the bars), Loyal Suffolk Hussars, 14th Bn YCV Shamrock.

If they were mine then I would not sell these as original either: South Staffs, CCG, London Irish, Bi-metal Worcs Hussars, SASC, Royal Guernsey, 16th Lancers, Scots Greys (looks modern), 12th Lancers (looks modern) 3rd Carbineers (looks modern), Leicestershire, Beds Yeomanry eagle,

Alan
Thank you Alan, respect your knowledge on the subject.

Regards

Ellis
Old 30-10-18, 11:24 AM
Super Moderator

Potentially the best badge there is the Leinster Regiment.

This is a wartime production made using die design for badge using Prince Of Wales' pattern of feathers rather than the pre-war sealed pattern of feathers which were bespoke to the Leinsters.

The normal Leinster's badge is worth £25-30 at auction and the 'incorrect feathers' version normally sells for £40-£50.
Old 30-10-18, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan O View Post
Potentially the best badge there is the Leinster Regiment.

This is a wartime production made using die design for badge using Prince Of Wales' pattern of feathers rather than the pre-war sealed pattern of feathers which were bespoke to the Leinsters.

The normal Leinster's badge is worth £25-30 at auction and the 'incorrect feathers' version normally sells for £40-£50.
Thank you Alan, much appreciated.

Not sure if you can help with another badge I have which I suspect is a custom design as I can't find any reference to it under Australian or British artillery. It is 50mm wide
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_8918.jpg (45.3 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_8919.jpg (37.1 KB, 8 views)
Old 30-10-18, 01:12 PM

Ok, here is another interesting one that I'm not sure about. It's 40mm high and the horse is facing the opposite direction to the ones I've found so far.

What do you make of this? Fake or genuine?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_8927.jpg (50.1 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_8928.jpg (38.9 KB, 13 views)