British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Infantry (& Guards) Badges

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 01-05-20, 01:42 PM

Default white and green 2nd Bn SWB title

A very pleasing addition to my welsh and cloth and shoulder titles collections, it arrived today, 2nd Battalion South Wales Borderers, a unit with an interesting WWII heritage being both the first welsh unit to see combat in Norway along with no2 independent company in 1940, as well as being the only welsh unit to come ashore on D'DAY.

I assume this example dats after the normandy landings, but it is hard to find out much about the variations for this title apart from some fakes.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg swb green and white 2nd bn title f.jpg (35.4 KB, 82 views)
File Type: jpg swb green and white 2nd bn title r.jpg (29.5 KB, 42 views)

Jerry
Old 01-05-20, 02:23 PM

What a lovely thing, Jerry, very nicely made, I don't think that I have ever actually seen an example before, although, I must admit that I have never looked, the green itself is very vivid and pleasing, if only it could talk.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBBOND View Post
A very pleasing addition to my welsh and cloth and shoulder titles collections, it arrived today, 2nd Battalion South Wales Borderers, a unit with an interesting WWII heritage being both the first welsh unit to see combat in Norway along with no2 independent company in 1940, as well as being the only welsh unit to come ashore on D'DAY.

I assume this example dats after the normandy landings, but it is hard to find out much about the variations for this title apart from some fakes.
Old 01-05-20, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Kelley View Post
What a lovely thing, Jerry, very nicely made, I don't think that I have ever actually seen an example before, although, I must admit that I have never looked, the green itself is very vivid and pleasing, if only it could talk.
Thank you Frank. It is indeed very pleasing and trying to find genuine examples seems somewhat difficult, even just in pics. I could not find another on this forum, though no doubt someone will, in an album....

Jerry
Old 01-05-20, 03:47 PM

I took this photograph last time was in the museum in Brecon
Attached Images
File Type: jpg white on green swb titles in museum.jpg (61.8 KB, 82 views)

Jerry
Old 01-05-20, 05:51 PM

An interesting and unusual title. Placing it is quite difficult.

It has the appearance of a German made title similar to lots of formation signs acquired in Germany by occupying units.

The regiment's 2nd Bn was the only one to serve in NW Europe remaining with 49th Division's 56th Brigade until transferred to the 53rd Division where it was by January 1946 according to 53rd Div's published history. I would suggest that it was acquired by the Bn during that period.

The example you show from the Museum with the sign of 53rd Division looks similar which would seem bear this theory out.

Other thoughts welcome.

Jon
Old 01-05-20, 09:12 PM

It does very much appear to be a German made Bevo woven title.

CB
Old 02-05-20, 08:18 AM

thank you Jon and Cb for commenting

early post war with it being german made makes sense.

does anyone have any evidence the embroidered white and green version was worn during the war such as this example? It appears to be a glue/paste/size/starch back.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2 swb title f.jpg (22.5 KB, 27 views)
File Type: jpg 2 swb title r.jpg (22.3 KB, 19 views)

Jerry
Old 03-05-20, 09:56 AM

I have this pennant for the 53rd welsh division from the same period, it was originally for sale with a 160th brigade football medal dated 1945-6, though I only managed to get the pennant but did save the pics. Even though 2/SWB became part of 158th brigade after april 1945 this is from the same period

It appears to be foreign made, perhaps german.

Jerry
Old 03-05-20, 12:44 PM

Hi Jerry, sorry to butt in on this but I do include a white on green title. I'm curious if any of these titles could have been used by the 6th Bat. whilst it was 158th RAC Reg? My usual collecting is rather a scatter gun technique which explains the plethora of titles, thanks in advance and hope I haven't upset anyone jumping in, best wishes Mike P.S I think your title is illustrated in Jon's book no. 3886 with a XXIV in the same shade of green.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC05735.jpg (62.6 KB, 36 views)
Old 03-05-20, 09:39 PM

some nice titles there mike, I have a XXIV but yet to get a green and white embroidered title or a woven XXIV

I can't answer your question
Attached Images
File Type: jpg swb cloth badges f mv.jpg (57.6 KB, 10 views)

Jerry

Last edited by JerryBB; 04-05-20 at 03:54 PM. Reason: better version of the image