British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Anodised Aluminium Badges

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 01-06-08, 01:45 PM

Alan, thank you, that would sound right.
Old 08-07-12, 02:45 PM

I noticed that there were several London Regt badges amongst that list. Apart from the London Irish and Scottish, who were these badges worn by?

As far as I know, by this time, most of the former London Regt battalions were incorporated into other regiments.

Did they wear these anodised London badges or did they wear the badge of their parent regiment?

I am trying to sort out what various London infantry units were wearing in the immediate post WW2 era and this is really confusing me

Regards

L1A1
Old 08-07-12, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 54Bty View Post
Another 'needle in the haystack'; the pattern card for the Yorkshire Brigade O/R's which was later changed to Yorkshire Volunteers O/R's has "Anodised Aluminium Mark II". Sealed on the 18th December 1958 as pattern 17977, CB 8086 and later NSN CB 8455-99-974-1093, went to the London Badge and Button Company 9-11-90 and Toye Kenning & Spencer Ltd 24-10-91.
Yorkshire Volunteers was an infantry regiment of the Territorial Army, and as already stated wore the same badge as th 'Yorkshire Brigade' design. The regiment was raised on 1 April 1967 and disbanded on 25 April 1993

The Anodised Aluminium 'Yorkshire Volunteers' Cap Badge is still worn by the Yorkshire Volunteers Band which is a civilian band authorised to wear military uniform. TKS has told them that a replacement batch will need to be in Anodised Metal.

Many Anodised Aluminium badges went though changes in design from the original die used for metal badges to a more solid back fir strength, but not all were marked as Mk1 or Mk2!

Wanted Poppy Pins
Old 08-07-12, 03:35 PM
Super Moderator

You need to state exactly what date post-war you want. A/A were a late 1950s and 60s event. In 1951 brass would have been the norm.

The only London Regt Bns still in existance who have worn a/a 'London' regt badges that I can think of were 13th PLK Bn who wore the a/a silver star but were RSIGNALS, 14th London Scottish and 18th London Irish. Also I just remmebered the 23rd Londons. All of the others were either disbanded before a/a came out or were wearing some one elses' badge. The 1-4th Bns and the 22/24 wore the standard issue badge for the RF and Surreys of course.

Last edited by Alan O; 08-07-12 at 04:48 PM.
Old 08-07-12, 03:43 PM

The Royal Army Ordnance Corps (1947 'Wide Tonanti' Patten) was one of the the first prototype Anodised Cap Badges produced for the Army Dress Committee c1948 and were made from existing Hob Dies to demonstrate its finish. I am sure that between these few badges and the introduction of the type in List of Changes 1951 a fare few different badges were produced by manufactures to test and perfect the process, leading to prototype badges, and sealed patterns, but due to large amounts still held in store never saw the light of day as an issued badge or not till the change to the St Edwards Crown (Queens Crown) in 1952 only a year after the LoC was published.

Why the RAOC? perhaps because that was the corps the military procurement staff belonged!

The RAOC Procurement staff ordered badges from manufactures based on the stocks held at major ordnance depots based on a 'Reorder Level' and as stated already some Regiments or Corps held very large stocks compared to others, and these led for example 1918 Patten RAOC Brass & Plastic Badges still being issued at RAOC Regimental Depot in preferance to Bi-Metal 1949 Pattern badges which of course stopped new manufacture of badges till after 1953 and in 'Queens Crown'

This means of course the all the above badges with different Part & Pattern Numbers were of course linked by stock control and why RAOC Kings Crown Annodised Badges are scarce as no major batch was ever produced, same I should think for the RASC.

Wanted Poppy Pins

Last edited by Mike_2817; 08-07-12 at 03:54 PM.
Old 08-07-12, 04:34 PM

I was issued with a K/C RAOC Bi/Metal CAP BADGE in 1955 & WORE it until 1958
and never saw a A/A one in that time I have a K/C A/A one in my collection also
2 K/C RASC, RPC and Intelligence Corp