British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Common Forums > It's a Mystery -Unknown Insignia for Identification

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 21-01-21, 11:20 AM

Default 26th Hussars backing

I wonder if anyone can tell me what unit the backing for this badge is? Also, Gaylor says in his book that the Regiment was disbanded in June 1948 but on a 14th/20th Hussars (From whom they originally came) site it says the 26th Hussars were disbanded in 1943 with a large number being allocated to the Chindits? Any information would be most welcome. Many thanks Denis

Last edited by denis pannett; 21-01-21 at 12:08 PM. Reason: Please remove as duplicate
Old 21-01-21, 02:43 PM

Hi Denis

On the Topee a square felt backing was worn. Blue over Maroon divided diagonally by a yellow stripe (approx 1/8th") When berets were adopted a diamond shaped backing was adopted blue/central narrow yellow stripe/maroon

Tim
Old 21-01-21, 02:52 PM

The 26th Hussars were disbanded in Sept 1943 in Bolarum in Secunderabad - as the junior of the "hostilities only" regiments. They "were transferred virtually en masse to the 3rd Carabineers who were badly understrength and shortly afterwards went into battle at Imphal. A small number of the 26th H joined the 25th Dragoons and others became Chindits". - Source "Badge Backings and Special Embellishments of the British Army"
Old 21-01-21, 03:18 PM

Default 26th Hussars Badge

Many thanks Tim for that useful information. As 26H was only in operation for two years does it make this officer's gilt badge with backing quite scarce then?
Regards Denis
Old 21-01-21, 04:13 PM

Hi Denis,

Pictured is an officers bullion beret badge and an ORs beret badge with the original backing — the backing was not worn on the ORs field service cap (khaki or coloured), or any other form of officers head-dress.

The pagri flashes below were worn by all ranks on the solar topee, and bush hat.

Best,

Marcus
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 9BB309CF-9D8C-4A27-8508-3A7435166628.jpg (54.1 KB, 42 views)
File Type: jpg D90DCB95-56DB-48B4-95D9-9BB48F8F329E.jpg (81.5 KB, 37 views)
Old 21-01-21, 04:46 PM

First I have seen of these beret and pagri flashes and very nice. Was the OR pagri flash badge the same badge as the standard cap badge?

CN
Old 22-01-21, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbuehler View Post
First I have seen of these beret and pagri flashes and very nice. Was the OR pagri flash badge the same badge as the standard cap badge?

CN
Thus far, and to the best of my knowledge: the badges adorning the pagri flashes were indeed the Indian brass or UK gilding metal made patterns generally worn on the cap, beret, officers coloured (slip-on) epaulettes and collar.

Aside from perhaps any unbeknown to me exceptions, as in bespoke badges made in India for the sole intended purpose of being a pagri metal badge.

Photographs of the pagri flash in wear are few and far between.

Best,

Marcus
Old 23-01-21, 12:38 PM

Default 26th Hussars Badge

Hi Marcus,
Thanks for the photos and info. Interesting that your officer's backings are different from the one on this badge and yet my backing appears too small for a pagri backing?
Regards Denis
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1727.jpg (86.6 KB, 13 views)
Old 25-01-21, 07:03 PM

Hi Denis,

If I am not mistaken, I saw this very combination on eBay around a year or two ago now.

Personally, I am not convinced of this coloured felt configuration, at all. To my mind, it’s likely a collectors interpretation made for a display. The eBay badge was as I recall die-stamped unlike the die-cast period Gaunt die cap/collar officers gilt badges.

Although, the badge alone was an original (albeit embellished with a gilt application) ORs collar - can you confirm (reverse pics of both the badge and backing would assist) if the badge is die-cast or stamped, please?

Best,

Marcus
Old 25-01-21, 07:09 PM
Super Moderator

Marcus post 5 shows the large patch which is in photos on the https://1420kingshussars.com/26th-hussars/ website of 26th Hussars,

the 3 colour one is spurious imo.
Old 26-01-21, 12:19 PM

Default 26th Hussars backing

Hi Marcus,
I recently bought this badge off a dealer from his site, not ebay. You are correct, he had two, one a cast officer's gilt and a die struck with the backing. I bought the cast one and asked him to give me the backing from the other one to go with it. Photo attached and interested to hear your view. Regards Denis
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1733.jpg (70.9 KB, 19 views)
Old 12-09-22, 08:55 AM

Default 2 designs of badge

Hi ... anyone know the origin of the 26th hussars badge that uses the '26' rather than 'xxvi'? Doesn't have the Eagle either.