British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Everything Else > Off topic

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 09-05-16, 02:51 PM

Default Dave, a wonderful friend.

I was so sorry to read of Dave's passing. He and I had exchanged a number of visits, spent many hours over our collections and thoroughly enjoyed each other's company. As has been written already, Dave could be delightfully forthright on so many aspects of our hobby and I learnt so much from just listening. His artisan skills were unsurpassed and it is beyond question that he was one of the most skilful repairers you could ever wish to find. Dave and Kath were inseparable. Kath would invariably be at his side at the various fairs especially at Stratford.
Kath, we will all miss him in so many different ways. Those of us who were fortunate to have met him and known him are enriched by the privilege. He will be greatly missed by so many for a variety of reasons but rest assured we all have many memories of his kindness, generosity, humour and his passion for our hobby.
On a personal note Kath believe me I know what you going through. It will not be easy. All our thoughts and prayers will be with you and the family.
Please do call if we can help.
Stay strong.
My best wishes

Gordon

Last edited by 1stTankie; 09-05-16 at 03:03 PM.
Old 09-05-16, 03:08 PM

I have a number of very fond memories of Dave, not least of which is the generosity and kindness he ceaselessly showed over the years to my daughter, sending her countless badges for her collection.

'How far that little candle throws his beams! So shines a good deed in a weary world...'

Rest in peace, Dave.
Old 09-05-16, 03:48 PM

Very sad news indeed, shocked when I saw this. I can't add to what has been said, only echo it, but I will add that I was lucky enough to have met Dave on a few occasions at Stratford and will remember the laughs we had over a brew & a cake while comparing our finds of the day, rest in peace Dave, you will be missed mate. Can I just thank Andy & Ivan for keeping us all informed, well done lads,
Wilf.
Old 09-05-16, 03:53 PM

I never met Dave - I wish I had - but we exchanged PMs a few times. He was among my list of 'friends' on the Forum. I used to enjoy his postings. He was a man who spoke his mind and didn't care if it p****d off a few people who didn't agree. He reminded me of my father a bit, the way he expressed his opinions. I think many people knew he was right.

From what I saw of everyone's postings who had had repairs done by him, he was a superb craftsman; there aren't too many of them left. Having lost my dad to heart problems almost two years ago, I know how his family must be feeling right now. His passing is a great loss to them, and to the Forum.

You know, Dave, once you get up to heaven, you'll be besieged by angels wanting their harps fixed, just so that they can be put back on Irish badges!

If members are in touch with Kath, please pass on my condolences.
David
Old 09-05-16, 04:04 PM

RIP Dave ... a man beyond comparison. Sincere condolences to Kath and family.

Ritchie.
Old 09-05-16, 04:59 PM

Default Dave Cutforth

Although I did not meet Dave, I bought a very lovely badge from him. Having read all the comments in the forum these past short years between Dave and other forum members, I felt that I knew the guy.

RIP Dave, always the good guy.

From John
Old 09-05-16, 05:15 PM

Default Dave Cutforth

Dave transformed several of my ugly ducklings into swans. He always rang up after he'd posted to see how happy I was with his work (as if I wouldn't be...) and for a bit of badge talk. A great English gentleman.
Old 09-05-16, 05:20 PM

RIP Dave, such a nice chap.
Andy
Old 09-05-16, 06:10 PM

Have just had the shock to find this post! Like all of yourselves too! At Stratford just gone he expressed he was over a hurdle and much better as was Kath!!

Well if my condolences can be passed on to Kath and the family I would appreciate it! was looking to meeting up again at Stratford in June!

Thanks Badger for letting us all know, and :-

Thanks Andy for allowing the Forum to be able to convey all our sympathies to Kath by passing these messages on! Give her a big hug from us all!!!

R.I.P. Dave Cutforth
Old 09-05-16, 06:20 PM

I never met Dave but he repaired several of my badges to his very exacting standards and they still reside in my collection.
Fall out Dave duty done! RIP

Mark
Old 09-05-16, 06:52 PM

Default RIP Dave Cutforth

As an infrequent visitor to the Forum I am deeply shocked and saddened to hear of Dave’s passing. I can add little to what has already been said about him and his contributions here, save to say that he will be very much missed in the badge collecting community of which he had become a part. My sincere condolences to his wife, Kath, and his family, at what will undoubtedly be a difficult time for them. With sympathy - Martin

“Scutelliphiliacus in vestri insignia pergaudete”
Old 09-05-16, 07:25 PM

Default Dave Cutforth

Such sad news. A true gentleman who will be deeply missed by all that knew him. The badge community has lost an ambassador.

My condolences to Kath and family.

Kevin Elliott.
Old 09-05-16, 07:36 PM

Dave was a special person and will be sorely missed from this Forum.
Please convey my deepest sympathy to Kath and family.
John in New Zealand
Old 09-05-16, 07:37 PM

I was very saddened to hear of the passing of Dave.

I can't claim to have known him well but we had spoken on a number of occasions. He always struck me as a true gentleman and the sort of chap that just makes the world (and this forum) a better place.

A great loss indeed.

My sincere and heartfelt condolences to his family and all those who knew him well.

Respectfully, Roy.

Despatch Rider Insignia & Photographs.

Author/Dealer in the Fairbairn Sykes Fighting Knife
My website: www.fsknife.com
Old 09-05-16, 07:59 PM

A terrible loss.
Dave helped me out a lot when I started collecting, and I always appreciated his no-nonsense manner.
He also helped me with information whilst I was researching my family's roots in Staffs. We even talked of meeting up when I went over. Sadly I never got to.
I have several of his repairs in my collection - first class work.
My deepest sympathies to his wife and family, and thanks to Andy for passing on our condolences.
The world is a bit colder today.

Colin

"One day I'll leave you, a phantom to lead you in the Summer, to join the Black Parade"