British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Infantry (& Guards) Badges

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 31-01-13, 02:55 PM

Default Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders glengarry badge - comments please

I picked up the attached Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders glengarry from a charity shop yesterday. It has never been worn and I am happy with the glengarry itself, but not convinced that the badge is right: it seems to lack detail but shows no signs of wear caused by polishing. I would appreciate any comments regarding its authenticity (or otherwise).

*I may be disposing of it in due course, I haven’t decided yet as I am moving house next week so badges are low priority at present*

Regards

Graham
I am looking to purchase items from the British Administration Police & Prison Services in Cyrenaica & Tripolitania; Eritrea & Ethiopia; Somalia (f. Italian Somaliland) & British Somaliland; & the Dodecanese: insignia, documents, photographs etc.
Old 31-01-13, 06:40 PM
Banned

Hi Graham,

I'm no expert on this badge but please see one that I had which had 100% provenance, direct from the regimental QM in the 1960s, for comparison. The long loops on the badge below were I believe necessary to cope with the many layers that they had to go through on the Glengarry.

Regards

Ry

Last edited by Charlie585; 21-11-13 at 02:24 PM.
Old 31-01-13, 06:59 PM

Thanks for your reply Ry, much appreciated. I'll see if I get any other replies, but the photos of your badge show superior detailling when compared with mine, viz. the thistles, coronet, and central seal so I'm satisfied it is a restrike.

No matter, I'm happy with what I paid for a new glengarry - and it helped a charity as well. Once I'm settled I'll look out for a genuine badge.

All the best

Graham
I am looking to purchase items from the British Administration Police & Prison Services in Cyrenaica & Tripolitania; Eritrea & Ethiopia; Somalia (f. Italian Somaliland) & British Somaliland; & the Dodecanese: insignia, documents, photographs etc.
Old 31-01-13, 07:09 PM

Hi Graham, I wouldn't toss it just yet. here is a badge I picked up last year from a Hate Belt (trophy belt) circa WW1/2. It has short "wire" like loops, with the gold coloured solder.

http://www.britishbadgeforum.com/for...ictureid=80580

I have seen them on some other badges also. Not saying Ry is wrong on the length required, which is true. I have a few with real long lugs.

But I would hold on to it for now. I might be totally wrong with the one I show, and it's a copy. But you never now.

Regards
Simon.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg A&SH BELT WIRE LOOPS DUAL.jpg (88.5 KB, 49 views)
Old 31-01-13, 07:22 PM

Hi Graham,

I am by no means trying to undermine Ry either, but my example has short lugs and I know its provenance as it came straight from the veteran who wore it in service. I have not got a back photo to post and the badge is now on my wall in a frame (obviously, I had to chop the lugs off to mount it anyway).

Regards,

Phil
Old 31-01-13, 11:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil2M View Post
Hi Graham,

I am by no means trying to undermine Ry either, but my example has short lugs and I know its provenance as it came straight from the veteran who wore it in service. I have not got a back photo to post and the badge is now on my wall in a frame (obviously, I had to chop the lugs off to mount it anyway).

Regards,

Phil
Phil unless you're joshing, WHY?????????????????????

Regards
Brian
Old 31-01-13, 11:19 PM

Hi Brian,

I was just taking a leaf out of Matti's book no way would I take the lugs off a genuine badge, for real, mate. Especially not my A&SH

Cheers,

Phil
Old 01-02-13, 12:39 PM
Peter J

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil2M View Post
Hi Brian,

I was just taking a leaf out of Matti's book no way would I take the lugs off a genuine badge, for real, mate. Especially not my A&SH

Cheers,

Phil
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatherofthree View Post
Phil unless you're joshing, WHY?????????????????????

Regards
Brian

You never know with Phil (the demon badger of Fleet Street) and his badge butchery antics . I always have to look away whenever he picks up a badge with even the slightest bend in the wrong place. I'm sure he's trying to give me heart failure.
Old 01-02-13, 12:58 PM

Peter,
Is it when he tries to straighten them with his big hammer?
Eddie
Old 01-02-13, 01:51 PM
Peter J

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebro View Post
Peter,
Is it when he tries to straighten them with his big hammer?
Eddie
Eddie,

Spot on, mate. And when he doesn't have the hammer with him, he has been known to apply the ol' 'throw it at the wall and jump on it' technique.

Subtle as a hang-gliding flasher!
Old 02-02-13, 02:44 AM

Hi Graham, I had this turn up tonight with lugs again very similar to what we were discussing here. Extremely wimpy, and shorter than the norm.

I think it's a good one based on the strike and the gold solder, but thought I'd show you to show there are a broad range of lugs out there.

I might be contradicted, and it's a duff; but looks and feels OK to me.

Regards
Simon.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg KOSB No2.jpg (87.2 KB, 22 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_8733.jpg (69.0 KB, 22 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_8734.jpg (82.6 KB, 20 views)