British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Common Forums > It's a Mystery -Unknown Insignia for Identification

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 19-09-10, 12:27 PM

Default East Anglian Bde

Gilt anodised collars as opposed to silver/gilt are thes a manufacturers mistake or were they worn
Bob
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1585.jpg (68.2 KB, 76 views)
Old 19-09-10, 01:36 PM

Default East Anglian Brigade

Bob,

I believe they were made in bi-coloured ano for other ranks, and gilt & silver plate for officers. Worn by both East Anglian Brigade and Royal Anglian Regt.

Stephen.
Old 19-09-10, 05:52 PM
Peter J

Thanks for posting these Bob. May I ask whether or not the Essex Regiment would have ever worn/been issued with, A/A collars prior to their amalgamation?

Also, I know that in the very early days of the forming of the East Anglia battalions, the Royal Norfolks (as was) still wore their Britannia collars with the new East Anglia badge, but was there any such similar awkward overlapping of insignia with the Essex?

Cheers,

Peter.
Old 19-09-10, 08:34 PM

These are gilt and silver plate.......one a little worn

(not anodised)

Cheers

John
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CB13.jpg (45.6 KB, 26 views)
Old 19-09-10, 10:14 PM

Default East Anglian Bde

The 1st Bn, Essex Regt was supposed to have been issued the new collar badge upon reorganisation into EA Bde. According to Churchill the anodised Salamanca Eagle collar dog was worn only by the TA Bn.

Stephen.
Old 20-09-10, 01:13 AM
Peter J

Quote:
Originally Posted by badjez View Post
The 1st Bn, Essex Regt was supposed to have been issued the new collar badge upon reorganisation into EA Bde. According to Churchill the anodised Salamanca Eagle collar dog was worn only by the TA Bn.

Stephen.
Thanks for this, Stephen,

Apparently not only by the TA Bn... to use your source, Churchill also notes:

"just possibly by the Regular Battalion just prior to amalgamation in 1958."
Old 20-09-10, 01:15 AM
Peter J

I find it curious that no images of the East Anglia Battalion collars proper, feature in Churchill's... or have I simply overlooked them?
Old 16-06-21, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter J View Post
Thanks for posting these Bob. May I ask whether or not the Essex Regiment would have ever worn/been issued with, A/A collars prior to their amalgamation?

Also, I know that in the very early days of the forming of the East Anglia battalions, the Royal Norfolks (as was) still wore their Britannia collars with the new East Anglia badge, but was there any such similar awkward overlapping of insignia with the Essex?

Cheers,

Peter.
Hi, there is on eBay at the moment a royal Anglian band jacket with eagle only anodised collar badges.
Old 16-06-21, 01:22 PM

Bob, on balance I'd say that the collars are probably an error - although errors in collars generally much rarer than cap badges.

With regard to the Essex Regt Eagle collars, the TA units wore a separate larger Eagle than the smaller ones worn by the regular Bn's.

Churchill doesn't deal with Brigades individually, but there are mentions in individual regimental chapters.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20210531_164702.jpg (57.2 KB, 30 views)