British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > General Topics.

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 08-05-14, 11:25 AM

Default Extruded Sliders

So called extruded sliders, i am going to upset a few people now.........in my oponion, the metal was extruded but the slider was merely cut off and bent over (which is not extrusion), by the badge maker. Its a slider made from extruded metal not an 'extruded slider', surely????

So rather than simply "extruded slider" it should be "extruded metal, slider"

Splitting hairs maybe but, hey, im in that kind of mood today.

Phil
Old 08-05-14, 11:43 AM
Former Member

Not biting!

Old 08-05-14, 12:30 PM

Not a clue what you are on about, a slider is a slider, unless it is a shank.

Marc
Old 08-05-14, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil2M View Post
So called extruded sliders, i am going to upset a few people now.........in my oponion, the metal was extruded but the slider was merely cut off and bent over (which is not extrusion), by the badge maker. Its a slider made from extruded metal not an 'extruded slider', surely????

So rather than simply "extruded slider" it should be "extruded metal, slider"

Splitting hairs maybe but, hey, im in that kind of mood today.

Phil
That's lost me completely (no that difficult I know)
I just thought it referred to the longer length of slider say for a pagri badge or to the sometimes found slider that sticks out from the badge at its point of connection more than the norm??:am I of track

Gerard
Old 08-05-14, 12:53 PM

Hi Gerard, an extruded slider is a reference to the method that the slider shank itself was manufactured by. As opposed to a stamped slider which is then bent over the top (resulting some the crimp), and then brazed to the badge.
An extruded one is one that slider is cut from an extruded flat long length of rod. Cut to the required length, and then bent over, again resulting in the crimp.

Here is an example, and as you can see the rounding of the end is hand done on a grinder roughly and not symmetrical, then bent and applied. Mostly seen I think on cheaper badges or econ's in this case. As I imagine it was cheaper than stamping maybe.

The other clue as you can see, are the feighnt lines the length of the slider shank, which was due to an imperfection in the extrusion die.

http://www.britishbadgeforum.com/for...ictureid=79653

Regards

Simon.
Old 08-05-14, 12:56 PM
Member 2008-16- Rest in Peace

Phil is referring to a type of brass strip some times used for making sliders ( also known as shanks ) which are a fixing medium for cap badges in general.

Some times the sliders ( shanks ) are cut and bent from a strip of extruded brass strip and a lot of people, myself included call them extruded sliders, the other usual method for making sliders ( shanks ) is to stamp them out of brass sheet.

You are not splitting hairs Phil, I believe the correct terminology might be splitting infinitives but at the end of the day we all say what we are comfortable with and saying " extruded sliders " is a lot easier than " sliders cut and bent from a length extruded brass strip ", know what I mean lol ???

I think to 99.9% of people they are just sliders ?? to expand the discussion, is it lugs or loops ???

Dave.
Old 08-05-14, 12:58 PM
Former Member

Simon,
pipped me to the post, see here

http://www.britishbadgeforum.com/for...ictureid=14733

I use the term when referring to this type of slider, and will continue to do so despite any pedantic observation.

Andy
Old 08-05-14, 01:00 PM

Sorry Andy...... I thought you would in the end as we have discussed this feature a few time in the past.

Cheers

Simon.
Old 08-05-14, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davec2 View Post
Phil is referring to a type of brass strip some times used for making sliders ( also known as shanks ) which are a fixing medium for cap badges in general.

Some times the sliders ( shanks ) are cut and bent from a strip of extruded brass strip and a lot of people, myself included call them extruded sliders, the other usual method for making sliders ( shanks ) is to stamp them out of brass sheet.

You are not splitting hairs Phil, I believe the correct terminology might be splitting infinitives but at the end of the day we all say what we are comfortable with and saying " extruded sliders " is a lot easier than " sliders cut and bent from a length extruded brass strip ", know what I mean lol ???

I think to 99.9% of people they are just sliders ?? to expand the discussion, is it lugs or loops ???

Dave.
Thanks Simon I've got it now I was off track a little so thanks something else to store in the old memory bank! Extruded slider seems a good term used and understood so Phil don't change it as I'll have to learn more stuff

Gerard
Old 08-05-14, 01:23 PM

My pleasure Gerard. Also, for me anyway; it's a good sign along with other positive features as a good badge. I haven't seen them on fakes. I may be wrong though, if someone has an example.

Simon
Old 29-03-19, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2747andy View Post
Simon,
pipped me to the post, see here

http://www.britishbadgeforum.com/for...ictureid=14733

I use the term when referring to this type of slider, and will continue to do so despite any pedantic observation.

Andy
Why is it when I click on this link [and occasionally others] it says I do not have permission to access that page ?

Graham.
Old 29-03-19, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by graham View Post
Why is it when I click on this link [and occasionally others] it says I do not have permission to access that page ?

Graham.
Because the person to whom the images in the album belong is no longer a member. For some reason this means their album(s) are not accessible.

https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/fo...ad.php?t=69167
Old 04-04-19, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jelly Terror View Post
Because the person to whom the images in the album belong is no longer a member. For some reason this means their album(s) are not accessible.

https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/fo...ad.php?t=69167
I see. Thank you.

Graham
Old 14-04-19, 04:02 PM

I always tend to associate them with Great War period pieces, although, they continue beyond.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LONGSHANKS View Post
My pleasure Gerard. Also, for me anyway; it's a good sign along with other positive features as a good badge. I haven't seen them on fakes. I may be wrong though, if someone has an example.

Simon
Old 14-04-19, 07:12 PM

Default Link

I was just going to say that Graham I was wondering why I didn't have permission