British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Cavalry, Yeomanry, Tank/RAC Badges

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 21-12-20, 04:46 PM
Super Moderator

Some of the Yeomanry sqns used to buy modern restrikes of the old regimental designs which they wore on Sqn training weekends rather than the regimental badges. Very unofficial but tolerated practice at the time.
Old 21-12-20, 04:56 PM

Cheers Alan
Was the new metal one official though for the Scottish Yeomanry?
And is the bi metal GM/WM 'S/NCO' one a fantasy?

Chris
Old 21-12-20, 05:05 PM
Super Moderator

I believe the bimetal one is a post WW2 officers No 1 Dress badge and it can be found with matching collars.

They were part of the Queen's Own Yeomanry prior to moving to be a sqn in the Scottish yeomanry. Their running fox badge was issued in a/a. The QOY NCOs wore privately bought metal badges.

The 2 units subsequently merged again with each other.
Old 21-12-20, 05:57 PM

Oh, so an Officers.
Thank you.
The bi metal QOY was worn by Troopers also, I have one given to me by a aTpr, worn for in his 3 years service in the AY.
I'm still intrigued by the new metal AY badge that 54Bty says was worn by the Sqn while in the Scottish Yeomanry, whether it was actually issued to them, I must PM him.

Cheers

Chris
Old 29-12-20, 08:09 PM

From the book 'The proud Trooper'.
This describes the possible cut and shut, the scroll made by the brass workers and put on the AIY non scroll badge. And sending a badge to UK, the die stamp Ayrshire Yeomanry bottom scroll one.
The changing around of the wording, the large OF badge, then the change of pattern, the small OF.
Very interesting.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (51.9 KB, 30 views)
Old 29-12-20, 08:36 PM
Super Moderator

Fascinating article. The solid brass scroll and lead solder would be the locally modified ones for the 1st and the die struck issued to the 1st, before they converted to RSF, and issued to the 2nd/1st in their Cyclists role.

Many thanks.
Old 29-12-20, 08:51 PM

It certainly puts things into perspective.
One day I'll get my hands on a cut and shut, and a die stamp Ayrshire Yeomanry middle scroll badge, the hunt continues!
You're a lucky man Alan.

Chris
Old 30-12-20, 10:33 AM

Could somebody explain the term 'cut and shut' please.

Chris
Old 30-12-20, 11:14 AM
Super Moderator

The badge is like a car that has had one end added to the original part to make a 'new car'. In this case the solid brass scroll appears to have been locally made and attached with lead solder to the die struck badge to create a new design.
Old 14-01-21, 11:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan O View Post
Fascinating article. The solid brass scroll and lead solder would be the locally modified ones for the 1st and the die struck issued to the 1st, before they converted to RSF, and issued to the 2nd/1st in their Cyclists role.

Many thanks.
Personally I disagree.

I think the ‘cut and shut’ type is also UK made for a couple of reasons.

The text isn’t the clearest but reads...

Suggestions had been sought for a design for a scroll, and at least two Yeomen submitted drawings Hugh White and John Graham. Whose design was chosen is not known, but Colonel Boswell approved one, and unpolished brass badges were issued soon afterwards. They were made by native brass workers, who were in the habit of producing all types of badges and numerals.

For me the ‘cut & shut’ scroll is too high quality, especially the reverse which strikes me as more akin to an OSD casting than anything made by ‘native brass workers’.

Also the materials used to attach the two pieces is the same colour in most cases as what’s used to attach the loops, so it appears to have been done at the same time. Clearly those loops are not bazaar loops and can’t see how/why they’d be attached or reattach there.

This badge in Dean’s album is my candidate for this theatre made item as it has all the classic characteristics for a local bazaar brass worker piece:
https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/fo...ictureid=41913

Lastly if they were made in theatre from IY badges the Ayrshire’s already had I’d expect to see some variation with the beast used as there are 3 different dies for it when there isn’t, it’s always the same beast and never any sign of a slider fitted etc.
Old 13-02-21, 09:42 PM

Hi Alan
Found this picture, he's wearing the IY badge, it looks the same die as your cut and shut, the feathers on the wings look the same.
What do you think?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg andrewalston2.jpg (35.7 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg P1010012.jpg (63.5 KB, 17 views)
Old 13-02-21, 10:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3dg View Post
Hi Alan
Found this picture, he's wearing the IY badge, it looks the same die as your cut and shut, the feathers on the wings look the same.
What do you think?
Often so hard to say for sure with period photos due to quality and distance of the sitter.

In this case I’m inclined to think it’s not the ‘cut & shut’ reasons being it looks like there is a taller feather on both wings which is the outermost of the two pointing to 12 o’clock. The ‘cut & shut’ badge’s wing tip look very level.

This IY style badge and the single piece Earl of Carrick’s Own badges do however display the taller tips on the outer pair.

Also deeper recesses down the outside line of wing feathers seem more in keeping with single piece and the IY badge below.

Just my opinion but if I was choosing a candidate for the sitters badge the ‘cut & shut’ would be last on that list of 3.
Old 14-02-21, 05:11 PM

On a closer look, I agree Luke.
The IY badge used to make AlanO's badge, maybe a later issue? I've not seen that die on any other IY badge?
Chris
Old 27-03-21, 09:35 PM

Here we go Alan
This has been on the net for a while, I've only just looked at it properly.
This is the IY badge used on your cut and shut badge.
The ground part looks to be soldered on to this badge also,but no scroll?
I think this particular IY pattern was a later issue, this along with the early ones had the scroll attached to go along with the Regiment overseas, who had theirs locally made, as an interim til the new scroll badge was die stamped.
Cheers
Chris

https://www.britishmilitarybadges.co...cap-badge.html

Last edited by 3dg; 27-03-21 at 09:55 PM.