British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Common Forums > It's a Mystery -Unknown Insignia for Identification

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 10-12-16, 06:39 PM

Default What is this Greek Badge please

What is this badge please
Attached Images
File Type: jpg _047.jpg (119.2 KB, 59 views)
Old 10-12-16, 06:46 PM

It is a British badge worn in the lapel by civilian staff engaged on postal censorship duties in WW2. The motto translates to something like "We work in silence".

More info here http://www.britishbadgeforum.com/for...ght=censorship
Tim
Old 10-12-16, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grey_green_acorn View Post
It is a British badge worn in the lapel by civilian staff engaged on postal censorship duties in WW2. The motto translates to something like "We work in silence".

More info here http://www.britishbadgeforum.com/for...ght=censorship
Tim
When working in uniform (in the Middle East primarily I believe) staff had a unique system of rank (or grade) badges and also a blackened brass shoulder title with the same Greek motto. I have the title but the slip-on and title belongs to someone else - apologies in advance. The motto must have baffled any passing Greek servicemen!
Censorship Branch.01.jpg
Old 10-12-16, 11:29 PM

Perhaps inspired - motto and design - by the 'pansy resting on its laurels' of the Intelligence Corps?
Old 11-12-16, 06:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter monahan View Post
Perhaps inspired - motto and design - by the 'pansy resting on its laurels' of the Intelligence Corps?
Naturally - the rose is the traditional emblem of secrecy - the Latin phrase sub rosa means "under the rose", and is used in English to denote secrecy or confidentiality, similar to the Chatham House Rule. The rose as a symbol of secrecy has an ancient history, but I cannot see any linkage between the Greek motto and the Int Corps. Mike
Old 11-12-16, 12:42 PM

I hate to overturn some long-received wisdom but while this badge has a censorship connection it's with India not Britain.

Research by my old friend the late Trevor Kingsley-Curry unearthed information on these badges published in a book by the then well-known novelist Rumer Godden entitled Bengal Journey; A Story of the part played by the Women in the Province, 1939-1945.

In it she describes the work of the Indian Censors Department established in 1939 and notes that they wore a khaki uniform bearing a brooch lettered with the service motto "We Work in Silence' in Greek on a green backing. A bimetal cap badge (no examples seem to have surfaced so far as I am aware) like that shown was said to have been worn in a green beret.

Rank was indicated by green stripes on KD slip-ons - from two for an Examiner, Grade A - as shown in Mike's example - to four stripes for a Civil Assistant Censor who ranked with a Captain.

My memory may be playing me false but I seem to remember that at one time the Imperial War Museum had on display a badged green beret such as that mentioned.

Would be interested to know if anyone has further information on these unusual badges.

Jon

Last edited by Postwarden; 11-12-16 at 12:50 PM.
Old 11-12-16, 02:45 PM

Jon,
The author of the report to which I referred was Brig E Mockler-Ferryman. I believe it was commissioned and written after his retirement in 1947.
Mike
Old 12-12-16, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Jackson View Post
Naturally - the rose is the traditional emblem of secrecy - the Latin phrase sub rosa means "under the rose", and is used in English to denote secrecy or confidentiality, similar to the Chatham House Rule. The rose as a symbol of secrecy has an ancient history, but I cannot see any linkage between the Greek motto and the Int Corps. Mike
I made the elementary error in high school of NOT studying Latin, which I regret to this day. I am familiar with 'sub rosa' but didn't remember it when I wrote that post. Thanks!