British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Everything Else > Foreign Badges and Insignia

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 24-09-18, 02:41 PM

Default Polish Parachute badge

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/WW2-polis...gAAOSwR39bn-iE
Apart from the somewhat optimistic asking price, the badge at first glance seems pukka, but is it?

Least troubling is that the eagle die went from the first manufacturer, Grupa Techniczna Osrodka Radio Sztabu Naczelnego Wodza w Londynie (The Technical Division of the Radio Unit of the Commander-in-Chief in London), to the second and last, Alexander Kirkwood & Son, around number 2600, yet this one has a Grupa Technical London spinner. spinners and badges were freely mixed up when the wreaths were attached.

However, the 'broken left wingtip' version of this badge as seen here is a result of a crack in the die around badge number 4900. Badges with a lower number have the wingtip intact.
This broken wingtip badge has the number 2906, so that should entail a non broken wingtip.

Also the number on the wreath and the number on the eagle (and the name conveniently provided by the seller) match with the info in Lorys' 'Materialy' publication, but the stamped number on the wreath is the wrong digit size and in the wrong position, the number on the eagle is from the Grupa Technical number stamps, which differ from the Kirkwood number stamps.

Rgds, Thomas & Silverwash

Last edited by fougasse1940; 24-09-18 at 03:28 PM. Reason: addl info
Old 24-09-18, 02:54 PM

I've been "watching" this group out of interest but with no intention whatsoever of bidding because I can't afford it, couldn't afford it if was realistically priced and I'm not sure about that eagle so I wouldn't risk it anyway.
I pinged a message to a relative a few hours ago drawing it to their attention and highlighting the asking price.
The starting price is what, a thou. overly optimistic if a genuine group?
Old 24-09-18, 04:03 PM

Ammend my last - no legit. card or other documentation, so an over estimate re. a more realistic price though you never know what some people may be willing to pay.
Old 24-09-18, 06:18 PM

No bids, didn't sell - who'da thunk it?
Old 27-09-18, 07:14 AM

An interesting and thought provoking thread - proves the maxim Research, Research and more Research!
Old 27-09-18, 06:35 PM

Gents,
The badge is a total fake!
It looks quite nice in front, but back tells the truth ...

Somebody made big effort to produce copies of badge and wreath.

Hopefully it's probably the most difficult to fake Polish Army in Exile badge!

Greetings
Rafal
Old 27-09-18, 06:39 PM

The verdict of an expert on the subject - thank you.