British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Common Forums > It's a Mystery -Unknown Insignia for Identification

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 29-05-11, 08:04 AM

Default is this australian or american or both?

Hi all
Is this an American army airborne collar badge or is it a badge worn by a combined "American/Australian brigade" badge?
The badge is stamped STOKES so it probably dates to ww2. What has stumped me is this emblem that refers to the American and Australian Anti-Aircraft Brigade in New Guinea.
Anyway, looking forward to any thoughts
BC
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN0197.JPG (72.1 KB, 150 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN0198.JPG (72.2 KB, 80 views)
Old 29-05-11, 07:31 PM

I have no clue what it is, but it isn't an American Airborne collar badge.
Stokes is an Australian badge maker from Melbourne.

Rgds,
Thomas.
Old 29-05-11, 11:27 PM

Default Both

BC,

Take a look at this link and see what you think. Be sure to make the image larger.

Don
Old 30-05-11, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fougasse1940 View Post
I have no clue what it is, but it isn't an American Airborne collar badge.
Stokes is an Australian badge maker from Melbourne.

Rgds,
Thomas.
hi thomas
i have no idea either what it is, but it does look like the AA of the American Airborne patches. did the American Airborne wear collars?
i do know stokes is an australian badge maker and like several other australian manufacturors, they made various US badges during ww2.
bc
Old 30-05-11, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jubilationtcornpone View Post
BC,

Take a look at this link and see what you think. Be sure to make the image larger.

Don
hi don
yes, i know this book but nowhere does it mention a badge? i hoped someone here would know what it is
thanks again
bc
Old 30-05-11, 12:58 PM

Default Thoughts

Hi bc,

Just a few thoughts. First, the resemblance between your badge and the American airborne. The patch I have attached is for the 82nd AID which served in Europe, and has never come close to Australia. I don't think your badge has anything to do with the American airborne. The other patch is for the 14th AA Command of about 1944. I know nothing about this unit other than it did serve in the Pacific and this insignia was never officially approved. I do have to wonder if the "AA" in both insignia is more than a coincidence. Maybe. Is there some other connection besides appearance? Second, the American army did not wear this type of insignia on the collar, only branch, i.e. infantry, artillery, etc., and/or a US. This leads me to conclude that your badge is Australian. I have one other avenue to check out and will see if that turns anything up.

Don
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ad82.jpg (4.7 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg aaac14b.jpg (9.0 KB, 1 views)
Old 31-05-11, 10:36 AM

hi don
thanks for the info.
i also have never seen this badge worn as a collar or any other way, on american airborn troops.
i also have never seen this badge before in an australian books on badges or in my 30+ years of collecting aussie badges.
i hope your other research shows something up
bc
Old 02-06-11, 01:09 PM
Member 2010-21- Rest in Peace

Smile Re "AA"

G'day BC

Sorry I cant help either, I have never seen anything like it in Aussie, and I dont think it would be allowed for wear in uniform. Maybe its something someone had made up some where ??

Regards

Phil.
Old 02-06-11, 01:23 PM

BC,

What are the dimensions of your "AA" badge?

Don

Last edited by jubilationtcornpone; 02-06-11 at 03:56 PM. Reason: change working
Old 03-06-11, 07:45 AM

hi don
the badge is 15mm tall x 27mm wide
bc
Old 03-06-11, 08:29 AM

Default AA

Notwithstanding the comments above about legality, this strikes me as being just the sort of quasi-official badge that would appeal to members of a joint US/Australian formation. Although the example has been made by an official provider, I can imagine this badge's design having been agreed bilaterally by the senior US Army officer in the Brigade and his Australian counterpart. It would be excellent if the Australian War Memorial photo archives could reveal an image of it being worn maybe superimposed on a felt patch on a slouch hat - or on the arm in the manner of the brass A for ANZAC of World WarOne. Whe I return to base I'll have search in the archives.
Old 03-06-11, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancer 17 View Post
G'day BC

Sorry I cant help either, I have never seen anything like it in Aussie, and I dont think it would be allowed for wear in uniform. Maybe its something someone had made up some where ??

Regards

Phil.
thanks phil
but it is stamped "stokes"
bc
Old 03-06-11, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Jackson View Post
Notwithstanding the comments above about legality, this strikes me as being just the sort of quasi-official badge that would appeal to members of a joint US/Australian formation. Although the example has been made by an official provider, I can imagine this badge's design having been agreed bilaterally by the senior US Army officer in the Brigade and his Australian counterpart. It would be excellent if the Australian War Memorial photo archives could reveal an image of it being worn maybe superimposed on a felt patch on a slouch hat - or on the arm in the manner of the brass A for ANZAC of World WarOne. Whe I return to base I'll have search in the archives.
thanks mike
i appreciate your input and time
bc
Old 13-06-11, 03:09 PM

Unhappy Not Much Luck

Hi bc,

Sorry it's taken me so long to get back to you. I did post on another forum and have received exactly 0 responses. I did find a history of the 14th AA command during WWII but no reference to a US/Australian unit. The 14th AA Command was located in Australia before displacing to New Guinea and then to the Philippines where it was disbanded in 1946. It was quite large and I doubt that there was another US AA unit of similar size in the South West Pacific. Therefore this most likely was the US unit which would have been part of an allied command and gives a clue as to where the "AA" of your badge came from, maybe. The size of your badge would seem to make it about right for US personnel to have worn as a distinctive unit insignia which would have been worn on either the lapels or the epaulets of the uniform, or the cap, not on the collar. I agree with badgecollector as to the quasi-official nature of such a badge. I don't have access to the necessary reference materials to pursue this further from the US standpoint to see if there is a record or if this actually was the case or not.

I don't know how the war in the Pacific is presented down under but here it was fought by 6 marine divisions, the US Navy, and B-29's, moving across the central Paciific. Everything else is lost in a dusty archive somewhere. Did I mention John Wayne?

This is the best I can do for now.

Don
Old 08-09-18, 03:44 AM

hi all
just bumping this back up to hope someone can ID it
cheers
bc