British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Everything Else > Foreign Badges and Insignia

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 03-09-18, 05:46 PM

Default A Group Of US Insignia?

Hi Gents,

Continuing my efforts to help a friend and and find new homes for his insignia collection. I need some help with this group.

I believe all of these to be original WWII US items (happy to be corrected if I'm wrong).

Could someone knowledgable on this topic please give me a guild price for this group?

Please note if I can get an idea of value I will be listing this group for sale on the forum first.

Cheers,

Roy
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2806.jpg (60.8 KB, 70 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2807.jpg (69.7 KB, 19 views)

Despatch Rider Insignia & Photographs.

Author/Dealer in the Fairbairn Sykes Fighting Knife
My website: www.fsknife.com
Old 03-09-18, 10:23 PM

Hi Roy

the Dragon head is XVIIIth Airborne Corp with White on Blue Airborne Tab the patch should be worn square on. This looks post WWII as the unit has been activated since 1942 and onwards.
The parachute is a cap badge Airborne Infantry WWII era

The Abn ovals are tricky to gauge:
Blue Airborne oval WWII Airborne Infantry
Gold on Black possibly Korean war era for Ranger Co. or WWII 187th Para Glider Infantry-very hard to ID from a small pick
red white and blue could be several units however not WWII more 60's era more likely 1st Airborne Bde 506th Inf

The Armoured Divisions can be a difficult area:
5th Armd Div WWII.
9th possibly WWII era
3rd & 6th 1950's made the 3rd was RA and 6th was a training unit reactivated for the Korean war.

The most expensive would be the Parachute Cap badge and Blue oval possibly 187th PGI.

Overall as a set I would put it in the 80-100$US the one to get is the Parachute Cap badge around 30-40$US.

Hope that helps

Phill
Old 03-09-18, 11:21 PM

The collecting of US insignia in the UK is pretty much dying these days. All the chaps who collected them as gifts from the US troops based here are getting older if they're even still with us. The copiers have also had an influence, with newbies switched off from even starting.

20 years ago the Armored triangles were £10 each for Divisional badges (numbered 1-20ish) and £15 each for Battalions/Regiments (numbered >30-800ish). These days there are very few sellers of US Patches in the UK and the days of finding books of WW2 US patch books on dealers stalls are over. The good news for the few collectors left is that prices of the usual WW2 patches have dropped to £5-£10 (rare ones, if recognised, still go for a premium) and that the collections of the older generation occasionally hit the market enabling long standing 'holes' to be filled.

The para ovals which fit behind US jump wings are collectable, but ID'ing original WW2 variants can be difficult. Prices vary between £1 and £5 for most, but a genuine WW2 version can start getting expensive at £20+, ditto the circle with the parachute off the cap.

Ian H
Old 04-09-18, 12:20 AM

Hi Gents,

Thank you very much for all this, some good details and very much appreciated.

I will drop my friend a note and all being well will get the go ahead to list these shortly.

Cheers,

Roy

Despatch Rider Insignia & Photographs.

Author/Dealer in the Fairbairn Sykes Fighting Knife
My website: www.fsknife.com