British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Everything Else > Foreign Badges and Insignia

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 14-08-18, 10:35 AM

Default Kettering PD Ohio Inspector's Bullion Embroidered Shield.

I picked this up a few days ago, "gold" bullion and coloured thread embroidery on a padded silver coloured fabric (which has faded to white in the photos).
It measures about 85 X 66mm and has nail and push button fittings.

Does anyone know exactly what this badge is please?
Design and size indicate that it's a Kettering PD breast shield but presumably it isn't as it's not of metal.
A blazer badge, a police department "give-it-away item", official or semi official or a tourist shop souvenir?
Any help in identifying it gratefully received.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg s-l400 (37).jpg (38.5 KB, 28 views)
File Type: jpg s-l400 (38).jpg (28.6 KB, 20 views)
Old 14-08-18, 01:55 PM

The majority of police departments in the USA now have cloth embroidered breast badges which are worn in place of the metal versions in certain circumstances. Metal badges frequently have caused injury to the wearer and others, particularly when worn in "operational" situations. The item you have is almost certainly genuine. Although details of a US supplier are shown on the reverse, the item was probably made in Taiwan (or similar venue).

Dave.
Old 14-08-18, 03:13 PM

Thanks, I wasn't sure if there would be a use for a removable bullion version of a shield rather than just a thread embroidered version if cloth ones were worn in lieu of metal.
The horrible "silver" fabric certainly fits in with Chinese made UN beret badges that I have.
The Studio City address on the "manufacturers" label exists albeit with no mention of a company of that name being located there.
I await a reply to a request for info that I sent to Kettering PD but I'm sure they have more important things to do.