British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Everything Else > Foreign Badges and Insignia

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 11-03-18, 05:53 PM

Default Indo China made French Foreign Legion Insignia

Rank's for the sleeve. these being brought home from a tailor shop in Vietnam in the early 60's. Left overs insignia items from the French era.

The top two are the rank of Corporal Chef with 1 re-enlistment stripe at the base.

The bottom two have the 7 flame grenade of the Legion, however the upper red chevrons are unlike anything I have seen before, at least for the FFL. The silver grenade being used for Cavalry units of the FFL. If anyone has any ideas on these I would be grateful to hear them

Both exhibit a bullion embroidered grenade as well as the thin stamped locally made grenade.

thanks
Jack

Old 16-03-18, 06:29 PM

Hello Jack

there is something who embarrassed me....
may I show them on a french forum, please ?

cordially
Didier
Old 16-03-18, 06:35 PM

Hello Didier, yes that is Ok.
Jack
Old 21-03-18, 03:44 PM

Hello Jack

I had a big doubt, nobody likes these diamonds.....

I'm sorry !

cordially
Didier
Old 09-07-18, 05:37 PM

I wanted to take a moment to circle back around on this post. As mentioned in the OP these pieces were brought home by an individual who had been in and out of Vietnam in the 1960’s. He had served in the U.S Merchant Marine on ammunition ships.

This individual had penned an article in the magazine Military Advisor on these exact pieces. The article had just been published prior to his passing away in this last year. He had been a regular contributor to the magazine. This article appeared in Fall 2107 edition of the Military Advisor. (Volume 28 Number 4) The author of the article is Clem Kelly. In addition to many articles in this publication, Clem had also been the editor of the Vietnam Insignia Collectors Newsletter. I was fortunate over the years to know Clem and to buy many pieces from his collection.

Anyway, in the article he featured several of the FFL pieces shown in my OP. In Clem’s own words he had found these and others in a shop in Saigon. The shop had Legion items in the window . He also noted in the article that the shop keeper was displaying these insignia long after the Legion had left Vietnam. Clem felt the pieces conformed to the 1946 Regulations. He too was also a bit unsure as to the exact usage of the red striped “ecusson”. He wrote that it was in the shape of “ecusson’s” used by Vietnamese Police and Military units. A few photo’s from the article are attached that better explain there possible useage. Pending further information we will not know for sure. He notes in the article that the red striped ecusson used a metal grenade but shows an embroidered example in the photo. I have the metal grenade version to which he referred. I do believe Clem when he said they were made and purchased in Vietnam during the war.. I also have a Legion Kepi he purchased from the same shop. Thanks to the Military Advisor magazine for the use of the pictures.

[URL="http://i877.photobucket.com/albums/ab334/agugu1/IMG_20180709_114125037_zpslflz2eqa.jpg"]http://i877.photobucket.com/albums/ab334/agugu1/I

http://

Last edited by irish; 09-07-18 at 05:49 PM.