British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Canadian Military Insignia > Corps, Branches and the Royal Canadian Artillery

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 19-10-16, 01:54 AM

All:
Interesting thread. When it comes to the term CLC I have heard both "Chinese Labour Corps" and "Canadian Labour Company" which is how Charltons described the small oval tin "CLC" badge on page 146 of the Corps book. Charltons says that the small oval tin badge was worn by POW's and ethnic workers. I have three items here that all came from Chris Brooker a few years ago. I do appreciate that I may be getting a little far away from South Africa on this one, but I do feel that it is in some way part of the same discussion.

The first is a Div patch to the 30th CLC. It is made out of an almost denim type of fabric with backing on it. The second is a silver cap badge to the CLC "6th Contingent". The third is a BWM struck in bronze. The engraving on the edge reads "No. 93833 . CHINESE L.C.".

The cap badge I remember Chris Brooker felt was an officers cap to the CLC, not sure if 6th Contingent fits into the description above or not. In any event that is all I know about these wonderful pieces.
Don
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 30 CLC Div Patch.jpg (68.1 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg 30CLC Div patch back.jpg (64.5 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg CLC Officers cap badge in silver with remnants of gilt.jpg (60.0 KB, 23 views)
File Type: jpg CLC Officers cap back silver, re-lugged.jpg (54.6 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg BWM in Bronze to CLC #1.jpg (54.9 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg BWM IN Bronze to CLC, edge #2jpg.jpg (29.8 KB, 12 views)