British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Airborne, Elite and Special Forces Insignia

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 29-11-21, 06:03 AM

Deleted to prevent indignation and unneccessary suffering

Last edited by RobD; 30-11-21 at 05:46 AM.
Old 29-11-21, 09:34 AM

I bought a similar badge in Shropshire this year, it came in a box with some Nepalese brooches via a house clearance.

https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/fo...ght=army+corps

Last edited by High Wood; 29-11-21 at 10:00 AM.
Old 29-11-21, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobD View Post
Can someone remind me of the overseas theatres in which the AAC seved and where cast badges may have been made? Or is the view that these were made in Britain?
Rob, North Africa and India are the overseas theatres where locally made badges were most likely procured; the AAC also served in the Mediterranean region so one or two countries there may also be contenders.

Examples of AAC badges from North Africa and India are very rare; I don't even recall Bosleys ever sellling one?. Over a thirty year period, I've personally seen just four; two considered to be North African in origin, and two Indian. Oddly, both types are very similar in appearance; it's just the construction and metals that differ.
Old 29-11-21, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Or is the view that these were made in Britain?
Forgot to respond to this. Considering most would say Marinus's badge has been sandcast, I'd say no. Do UK made sandcast badges even exist I wonder?
Old 29-11-21, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by High Wood View Post
I bought a similar badge in Shropshire this year, it came in a box with some Nepalese brooches via a house clearance.
Thanks High Wood, I had seen that thread but wasn't sure when you'd got the badge.
Old 29-11-21, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke H View Post
The AAC is not a rare badge despite being Airborne. On any given day on eBay you can buy a real one (or 8 in total listed tonight). However I appreciate a genuine theatre made AAC would be scarcer
Indeed they're not Luke. I'm quite surprised how many are currently on that world famous auction site; I normally see just a couple and they're almost always the more common diestruck type. In a previous post I asked this of the more experienced forum members, "how often do locally made (sandcast) AAC badges come onto the market". Hopefully an answer to that will eventually materialise?.

Quote:
I had not seen a genuine Sharpshooters IY for sale for well over a year, perhaps two. Then in 2020 within the space of 6 months I saw 5 come onto the market, 3 appearing within a fortnight! No more have surfaced since and it is now over a year on.
But again, however scarce those Sharpshooters IY may be, it will have been a regular issue, UK made piece; correct?.

Quote:
May I ask since those six how many have you seen since and how long has it been?. Re your man was this their opinion based on six appearing in short order or did they evidence a single seller or spurious source as being responsible?
I'm afraid you're asking the wrong man, I simply bought mine and asked a friend to ask his man for an appraisal. It's he who spent so much time recording suspicious activity.

Quote:
A few eBayers I know of involved in the sale of cast copies are ‘5555destination’ (or whatever his latest alias is), ‘peterg5733’, ‘pe1ju2’ and ‘int.militaria’. It should be noted the last three do state their wares are not original in the descriptions. I’m yet to see an AAC amongst their offerings.
Interesting; I do have 'pe1ju2' in my list of sellers excluded from ebay search results. I tried without success last night to trace the source of these; even going as far as adding "india" and "china" to my search terms on google. I don't really believe that's where they've originated from though; more likely some random bloke working off his kitchen table in a leafy suburb, "somewhere in England"

I'm sure one day, the truth will out!

Last edited by Artillery909; 29-11-21 at 02:05 PM.
Old 29-11-21, 08:46 PM

Dear Rob D

I find your pride in faking badges and robbing dealers and fellow collectors to be very sad.

I have German Japanese Italian items in my collection to show younger people what the adversaries and sometimes our allies wore.

I am often asked by veterans organisations to display such items many items I have were brought back by local men.

No one can ever support their ideals history however I believe history should always be told unblinkerd

However making money from fraudulent activities I can never condone.

Respectfully

Stephen

Last edited by yorkstone; 29-11-21 at 09:50 PM.
Old 29-11-21, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Can someone remind me of the overseas theatres in which the AAC seved and where cast badges may have been made? Or is the view that these were made in Britain?
I used to import fake German insignia as a boy, distress the pieces, and flog them to dealers to support my collecting hobby. This is in the 1960s.
So a 40 yr tradition of fakery is not unusual!
(Btw I am sort of proud of my younger exploits as I loathe Nazi collectors and always have)
I do not collect Nazi items, never have and never will. Indeed I find the fascination with them bizarre.

However, I do not condone criminal acts (fraud) which it would appear you have engaged in by insinuating the sale of fakes as originals or at least allowing that assumption to be made by the buyer without being honest.

You are morally as bad as any bent dealer on eBay.

All I can say is I hope you get your comeuppance and someone has done the same to you.

I think you should be banned personally.
Old 30-11-21, 05:46 PM

Default Hi-Res pictures of heavy AAC badge

Good evening,

Thank you for all the contributions to this thread.

I've attached some links to hi-res pictures for perhaps a beter examination of the badge.

I also received images from "Artillery909" which were saved from the website of a Dutch dealer.
Those images appeared to be removed from that website and can't be shared here due to copyright issues.
That badge has also plated lugs like the one in "High Wood"'s post.

As "Luke H" wisely added in post #3, ‘Theatre made’ badges are their own niche minefield.'

Keep safe and try to be nice to each other,

Marinus

Old 30-11-21, 06:05 PM

From the backs alone I would suggest there are very obvious differences between your badge and High Wood’s. Clearly they are not manufactured by the same hand / mold.

The footed factory made loops on High Wood’s I was highly suspicious of. I certainly would not buy it.

The loops on yours look to my eyes more period but as I said before without provenance or it exactly matching an example with it, you will never know for sure. That said if I saw your badge at a good price I would likely buy it and take a chance.
Old 30-11-21, 09:45 PM

Marinus kindly forwarded pictures to me from the AAC cap badge that was sold by the Dutch dealer.

It is quite different from the badge that we are discussing here so my initial opinion remains unchanged.
Old 30-11-21, 10:08 PM

Does it match the one in the linked thread with the thicker more flat back reverse and plated loops?
Old 01-12-21, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Does it match the one in the linked thread
Yes it does, it is almost identical.
Old 01-12-21, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luc View Post
Yes it does, it is almost identical.
Thanks I’ve now seen. I agree it’s from the same stable and believe that type as per High Wood’s example to be fake.

Like you my thoughts remain unchanged on the badge in question.

Tags
aac