British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Infantry (& Guards) Badges

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 23-03-21, 07:00 PM

Default Welsh Regiment

Seeking members thoughts, opinions and feeling on this badge please.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 658BC185-ACE1-4ECB-8EAE-93FE165BDF60.jpg (82.8 KB, 158 views)
File Type: jpg 1D4F409C-46A4-47FB-996B-B330EB55D899.jpg (83.5 KB, 121 views)
Old 23-03-21, 07:22 PM

I like it Luke, good detail/reverse strike, slight crimp mark. Is there a braze hole behind the crown ?
Old 23-03-21, 09:27 PM

Letters like the supposed TF badge. Regards, Paul.
Old 23-03-21, 10:32 PM

I can't see anything wrong either. Is there a catch?

CB
Old 24-03-21, 03:46 PM

At a glance, it certainly looks okay in terms of the strike and metals used, there were very many differing examples made, with and without a hole behind the coronet, what are your concerns?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke H View Post
Seeking members thoughts, opinions and feeling on this badge please.
Old 24-03-21, 11:38 PM

Overall a warm and favourable reception it seems.

Personally, for what it’s worth, I too think the badge is fine.

So I don’t wonder if we have, myself included, sat in too harsh judgement of another badge from the same die i.e. the infamous and much derided Welsh Cyclists with block letter ends.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CC797A07-A72C-4B9D-8C5A-7E4A5A64FD0C.jpg (76.9 KB, 107 views)
File Type: jpg 018EA4F1-46CF-44BA-BB23-8A4111FB5427.jpg (72.1 KB, 52 views)

Last edited by Luke H; 24-03-21 at 11:55 PM.
Old 24-03-21, 11:53 PM

I think the problem with the BB cyclist badge in this pattern is it became suspiciously common, on dealers sites and on ebay. Be interesting to see how well known the BM badge is- and what the Welsh collectors think. Regards,Paul.
Old 25-03-21, 12:02 AM

I agree, it being deemed ‘too common’ did seem to be at least part of the rationale behind its dubious tag. However, how many have been seen lately? I cannot recall seeing one like it for sale on a dealers site or eBay since before covid, which is over a year now.

So often in this hobby items are like buses, none for ages then several at once or in quick succession before another drought.

The BM badge does not seem particularly common, I’ve seen (or maybe more accurately noticed) just one other.
Old 25-03-21, 07:36 AM

Hi Luke,
I’ve offered my opinion before on this type of badge when we discussed the BB badge to the 7th & haven’t changed my opinion. I’m not a fan of this type of heavy block lettering and don’t have it on any of the 19 ORs examples I have in my collection, not including those that are attributed and with the medal groups for my Cardiff Pals collection. The only time I have seen this type of lettering before is on the assumed to be spurious BB 7th offerings that regularly crop up.
One other pointer I have now noted is that the central cross on the crown sticks up above the fluer de lis emblems which is also unique to this badge & doesn’t occur on any of the others that I have.
So it’s a no for me.
Hwyl
Kevin
Old 25-03-21, 08:35 AM

That is certainly a very interesting point you make regarding cross upon the crown and something I had never noticed before, I must start looking at this, although, I don't think I will have very many examples anyway, there does seem no shortage of post 1920 examples to be had at the moment, but, the earlier badges are far fewer in number.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 41st View Post
Hi Luke,
I’ve offered my opinion before on this type of badge when we discussed the BB badge to the 7th & haven’t changed my opinion. I’m not a fan of this type of heavy block lettering and don’t have it on any of the 19 ORs examples I have in my collection, not including those that are attributed and with the medal groups for my Cardiff Pals collection. The only time I have seen this type of lettering before is on the assumed to be spurious BB 7th offerings that regularly crop up.
One other pointer I have now noted is that the central cross on the crown sticks up above the fluer de lis emblems which is also unique to this badge & doesn’t occur on any of the others that I have.
So it’s a no for me.
Hwyl
Kevin
Old 25-03-21, 08:06 PM

Hi Kevin,

I’m very confident those same plumes (tall central cross and all) are found on Cheshire Yeomanry and Pembroke Yeomanry badges regarded as genuine. Both illustrated in Wilkinson’s first 1969 edition book and the latter I believe also in Gaylor.

None of the above, POW plumes or various scrolls, shows any of the signs of modern (repro) design or modern manufacture.

What’s more there is clear commonality with sliders, which appear period, and nothing to suggest a particular batch is potentially a later restrike. No dodgy MM’s etc. therefore either I believe these must logically be all be genuine or all fakes.

If the latter and they’re a cohort of fakes then they would be amongst the earliest know (late 1960s) with the dies seemingly not used much after, certainly not into modernity. They also fooled Wilkinson and Gaylor amongst a great many other respected collectors. I think all things considered plus date this scenario is highly unlikely.

Rather I suspect like the ‘flat’ POW feathers most often associated with the Denbigh Hussars, we have a manufacturer producing a range of badges from the plumes found in differing frequencies.

Lastly I recall not so long ago all single piece Montgomeryshire Yeomanry badges being deemed faked. Since then I’ve found 3 portrait photographs which from void shapes and ratios are clear to me that they’re the type pictured in KK and Gaylor.

In a similar vein, I’m now of the belief the block letter Welsh Regiment badges in both BM and BB are genuine.

Diolch,

Luke
Old 26-03-21, 05:06 PM

Default Welsh Rgt.

O/K just acquired this and although one Lug is missing the Font looks very much like the one Luke has posted, this one though looks Edwardian? and has the Firmin Oblong! Does this actually help date the Die?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20210326_164644-1.jpg (116.0 KB, 78 views)
File Type: jpg 20210326_164703-1.jpg (118.4 KB, 64 views)
Old 26-03-21, 06:55 PM

Hi Luke,
I have to disagree regarding the raised cross. As a marker I would suggest that we consider the badges for the Vol Battn’s which we know pre- date 1908. Not one has the raised cross. Neither is the raised cross evident on any of my Pembs Yeo badges, nor indeed my Denbighshire, although I do concede that these last are officers’ badges.
As such my opinion remains as previously advised.
Cofion gorau,
Kevin
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 6CE93ABE-7232-4A41-A842-43A850D9FEC3.jpg (96.7 KB, 48 views)
File Type: jpg BEA9C634-8E4F-44C8-9E28-01C991360A23.jpg (112.0 KB, 43 views)
File Type: jpg 04BAEC55-992A-4547-9581-9EAE8A9E338B.jpg (101.9 KB, 37 views)
Old 26-03-21, 07:02 PM

Hi Kevin,

Can you post a close up of this one please.

Hwyl,

Luke
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 7FA9F33C-966A-4F37-8C16-DDEAEAAC3F6A.jpg (49.3 KB, 58 views)
Old 26-03-21, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by billy View Post
O/K just acquired this and although one Lug is missing the Font looks very much like the one Luke has posted, this one though looks Edwardian? and has the Firmin Oblong! Does this actually help date the Die?
Hello Billy your badge has the WELCH rather than WELSH scroll, a later version not sure of the dates.
Regards Tony.