British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Common Forums > Reproductions, Restrikes, Fakes, Forgeries, and Copies

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 13-08-13, 12:08 PM

I have never seen a real one and any evidence that they were ever actually worn, even an example of the kings crown other ranks beret badge is now a scarce item, far harder to find than an Army Air Corps for example, I went to a fair back in May and could not see an original in the room, despite two well known dealers, who really should know better, offering one each on their respective stalls.
Going back to the QC, my own thoughts would have to be that by 1953, this would have been quite a small corps anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 170gunner View Post
Attachment 88132

Attachment 88133
While we are on the subject, any opinions on this one from the 50,s. I have never seen a cast one before.

Last edited by Frank Kelley; 13-08-13 at 02:43 PM.
Old 13-08-13, 06:40 PM

According to KK (2058) this badge did exist in white metal & anodised versions. Sealed 12th Oct 1955 & was on issue until the re-formation of the Army Air Corps in 1957.
Old 13-08-13, 06:53 PM

Yes, I know, I read K&K in 1979, but, I don't think it says "was on issue" moreover, I stand by what I said in my last post, I also think this has already been discussed on here before as well.

Quote:
According to KK (2058) this badge did exist in white metal & anodised versions. Sealed 12th Oct 1955 & was on issue until the re-formation of the Army Air Corps in 1957.
Old 13-08-13, 07:15 PM

Issued or not the badge was obviously made and therefore must be regarded as genuine. Not to say that my example is.
Old 22-08-13, 09:01 AM

I think that rather depends on which particular badge you are talking about, the sealed pattern is one thing, but, the rest, all those £8.99 things that are around in abundance, that certain people sell as "genuine and original" are complete absurd forgeries!
Perhaps Luc would like to give you his thoughts on this matter.

Quote:
Issued or not the badge was obviously made and therefore must be regarded as genuine. Not to say that my example is.
Old 28-08-13, 07:44 PM

The QC badge was indeed sealed, but as Frank points out it was a small unit at the time so not many would have been required. The cast example shown is odd; I can't think of a reason to cast wm as instead of the common stamping process.
Coincidently I have purchased a set of QC frosted silver collar badges today; I will upload some pictures for opinions when I received them.
Old 04-09-13, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luc View Post
I will upload some pictures for opinions when I received them.
Pictures can be found here.
Old 04-09-13, 08:13 PM

Hello Luc,
I have two friends, both were serving in the regiment before it was disbanded, one was still a member in October 1956 and the other actually passed out of one of the last army glider course's towards the end of 1955.
Neither of them worn a queens crown badge and they both have no memory of having ever seen one being worn by anyone within the regiment.
Kind regards Frank

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luc View Post
The QC badge was indeed sealed, but as Frank points out it was a small unit at the time so not many would have been required. The cast example shown is odd; I can't think of a reason to cast wm as instead of the common stamping process.
Coincidently I have purchased a set of QC frosted silver collar badges today; I will upload some pictures for opinions when I received them.
Old 30-11-16, 07:58 PM

Default Repro WM AAC Cap Badge with Flaw?

I found this thread when researching ‘old’ forum discussions to ascertain the authenticity of various badges, including AAC and GPR, in my collection. I have ‘resurrected it to keep all the information together. I was pleased to find that my flawed die cast AAC badge may indeed be the genuine article as is my other WM example. I have attached photos of them for confirmation, hopefully, of other more knowledgeable forum members.

However in spite of the assertion in the thread that ‘the only white metal one that can be relied on as authentic is the version with the cast fault around the eagles head as this is not to be found on restrikes’ may no longer be the case.
Here’s a link to an eBay listing of an AAC badge with the flaw on what appears to be a poorly ‘cast’ AAC badge listed as ‘AAC cap badge 2ww rare British’ :

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/3223301512...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

eBay item number – 322330151251

Any thoughts?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg AAC WM Cap Badge 1 Front.jpg (33.7 KB, 90 views)
File Type: jpg AAC WM Cap Badge 1 Rear.jpg (31.8 KB, 68 views)
File Type: jpg AAC WM Cap Badge Flaw Front.jpg (35.2 KB, 78 views)
File Type: jpg AAC WM Cap Badge Flaw Rear.jpg (39.6 KB, 50 views)
Old 30-11-16, 08:16 PM

It is actually cast and not die struck, there was a die cast version, but, it was much finer, it did not look as crude as that example in the link.
Old 01-12-16, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Katyn View Post
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/3223301512...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

eBay item number – 322330151251

Any thoughts?
Reminds me of this thread:
http://www.britishbadgeforum.com/for...own+base+metal

From the feedback it seems member sunshine has done business with http://feedback.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAP...ab=AllFeedback and http://feedback.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayIS...edbackAsSeller who also sell poorly cast badges.
Old 04-05-19, 03:41 PM

Luc?
Old 05-05-19, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marinus View Post
Luc?
Yes, at your service!
Old 06-05-19, 05:21 AM

Default AAC badge genuine?

Hi Luc,

Forgive me my rudeness.
I found this interesting thread and was curious if it was still "alive" after 3 years.

Bought this AAC badge recently and I would like to hear your opinion, please.

Thank you for your time,
Marinus
Attached Images
File Type: jpg AAC-1.jpg (49.3 KB, 100 views)
File Type: jpg AAC-2.jpg (40.5 KB, 68 views)
Old 06-05-19, 05:46 PM

I have posted this image before - but for completeness of this thread, please see image of the embroidered version - can not tell if it is the contemporary price but 17/6 (17 shilling 6 pence) possible - see reverse. I had to pay a bit more than that.

Sorry Marinus for butting in - I will await Luc and other expert opinion on your badge

All the best
Mike

Tags
aac, glider regiment