View Single Post
Old 01-12-17, 06:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew View Post
I should say that in my illustration of the 2/6th London Regiment, I have depicted their battalion patch as a square. However, the IWM describes it as a dark blue diamond (black was originally written but has been crossed out).

I think this entry at the IWM must be wrong. In the first place, the 2/6th Bn patch that the IWM has does not look like a diamond...

Furthermore, a diamond does not fit the pattern of patches used in the 58th Division. The order of seniority for the 173rd and 175th Brigade was 1) Vertical rectangle 2) square 3) triangle 4) horizontal rectangle. A diamond does not fit this scheme...

It would be good to try and get photographic evidence to back-up or disprove my claim.

Chris
Here is a photo of "Bugler Murrell". I think he must be of the 2/6 or 6th Bn. London Regiment. The cap badge looks to have a strung bugle in the centre and it does not look like there is any writing on the left or lower part of the maltese cross.

Until firmer evidence comes along*, I think this may go some way to proving that the 6th Bn did indeed wear a square rather than a diamond patch.

Murrell.jpg

IMG_9185.jpg

IMG_9186.jpg

IMG_9205.JPG

*For example, writing on the back of the postcard or a clear view of a shoulder title etc.

Edit: It can also be seen from the IWM collection that the 1/9th, 2/9th and the 2/11th patches do not fit the evidence in this photograph. In other words, the only remaining 'Maltese cross' wearing London Rgt battalions did not wear a patch of this shape.

Last edited by Drew; 22-04-18 at 12:32 AM.