View Single Post
Old 04-02-11, 02:44 AM

Default Another posssible explanation...

I have another possible theory (backing up my idea that the non-serif titles are possibly British). I have seen a number of different nationality titles worn on the RAF tunics - POLAND, ARGENTINA, RHODESIA , etc. - and generally these do not have serifs. I have attached pictures of a few examples.

I am guessing most of these were of British manufacture. Perhaps similar non-serif CANADA titles were manufactured for and issued to Canadians who were serving in the RAF. It is quite possible that many RCAF aircrew would have picked these up while in the UK.

I have also attached a picture I came across showing a WW2 RCAF service dress tunic with the non-serif titles. After some digging, I have discovered a few examples like this, though the majority tend to still have the typical serif lettering.

I posted originally because I wished to try to verify the authenticity of this type of shoulder title on a WW2 BD tunic I came across. Although certainly not as commonly seen as the serif titles, it appears that the non-serif titles are perfectly legit for WW2.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 102653.jpg (72.7 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg 102654.jpg (72.4 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg 102657.jpg (72.4 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg 102751.jpg (79.0 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg 102560a.jpg (77.0 KB, 20 views)