View Single Post
Old 15-03-10, 03:16 PM

Larry,

Dated 1916? Sounds about right. The branch existed as of 1909. There has been discussion as to when the Cadet Services hat badge first appeared, somewhere between 1910 & 1915. Previous to that we do see the "CS" and horn badge used for Cadet Instructors, though I've not yet been given absolute proof that it was Cadet Instructors. Other than Mazeas reference; that said, who does Mazeas reference back too?

That is the main problem with researching Army Cadets, very little thought was given to keeping track of information as it was not near as important as any other aspect of the military. I've been at this now for while and I learn new information every week. I'm aware that many Cadet Services officers wore the school corps, or affiliated regimental hat badge, in some cases they wore their previous unit badge, CEF or other militia unit. It was common practise right up until the early 1980s for CIL (Cadet Instructors List) officers to wear the affiliated hat badge much to the chagrin of Ottawa, so much so that it was printed in routine order that CIL Officers shall not wear affiliated unit badges but CIL badges. I have examples of that paperwork between 1965 and 1981.

It can be challenging, but the info is out there. I look forward to hearing from other members.

cheers,
Francois

www.armycadethistory.com