View Single Post
Old 31-05-20, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by manchesters View Post
No idea about the rifles, its the huge silly crown thats wrong on these particular badges.

regards
I disagree in this case Simon. There is photographic evidence that they were worn as rank badges on the arm of service dress during WW1 by warrant officers, CSMI and QMSI (the latter changing to a badge within a laurel wreath during the course of the war). This is why there are so many of them. However, to be genuine they must be looped and not with sliders. Unfortunately there have been reproductions with sliders. I transferred into and served with the SASC between 1984 and 1990 and as with all the corps whose cap badges that I wore I took a great interest in their history and dress, and for a while had the opportunity to root around in the photo archives that were held in the small arms museum at Battlesbury barracks. Rather like multi part shoulder title sets they were originally separate and issued with a back plate and cotter pins, but it was soon found convenient to brase them together into one device.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SofM.jpg (62.9 KB, 25 views)
File Type: jpg KK 1050, School of Musketry 1902-1919 large 54 x 64mm (2).JPG (30.5 KB, 29 views)

Last edited by Toby Purcell; 31-05-20 at 06:07 PM.