View Single Post
Old 20-07-13, 11:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatherofthree View Post
Not really cool and certainly not always proof the badges are the real thing, (although in this instance I'm sure they are).

A few years ago I purchased a small frame of what, at first, appeared to be genuine cavalry badges, mostly Life Guards if I remember correctly.

The board, in the frame, holding the badges was covered with newspaper dated 1915 or 16 and there was a good smattering of dust behind the badges etc, giving the impression of age and authenticity.

The badges were all modern copies....................a proper knock up of something made to deceive.........the bit of newspaper, (if indeed that was genuine) was probably worth more than the badges.

And by the by, the collection subject of this thread.... very nice.

Regards
Brian

Hi Brian,

Thanks for your input. I agree completely with your sentiments generally, however what we have here is a completely genuine set of badges collected during, and up to just after WW1 (I have found one which is as late as 1920). I have attached some pictures of the extraction of one of these badges.

Behind most badges there is hardly any oxidisation. A picture of the Cameron badge too illustrates this. All the badges have left an historical imprint on the cloth backing.

Anyway I am extracting all the badges now, so should complete this process by tomorrow.

Kindest Regards

Paul
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1120472.jpg (49.4 KB, 31 views)
File Type: jpg P1120473.jpg (44.7 KB, 29 views)
File Type: jpg P1120474.jpg (54.4 KB, 28 views)
File Type: jpg P1120476.jpg (46.2 KB, 28 views)
File Type: jpg P1120477.jpg (61.2 KB, 29 views)
File Type: jpg P1120478.jpg (56.5 KB, 31 views)
File Type: jpg P1120481.jpg (70.1 KB, 36 views)