View Single Post
Old 30-10-20, 01:43 PM

After rereading Tom Tulloch-Marshall's article I found probable answers to my own questions.

Quote:
Would they actually replace 99,999+ badges
"At the same time a system was introduced whereby existing unnumbered badges should be recalled , and numbered badges substituted.
'It was thought that 500,000' unnumbered Admiralty badges had been issued , of which 150,000 had been replaced with numbered badges by July 1916."

NB. This was also the period of inspections with some workers being 'unbadged' and eligible for conscription.

This does however pose another question , were the badges actually "recalled and replaced" (costly and administratively/logistically difficult ?) or simply stamped/numbered locally and returned to the worker (with details name/number/occupation recorded).

Quote:
Is this simply a manufacturing error or were some badges made without enamel (economy version) ?
"As far as I have been able to ascertain the enamel finish of that badge was retained throughout its life".

So my badge isn't some unrecorded 'variation' and most probably simply had the enamel removed.

Poppy and British Legion Wanted